• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The NEW Dinner Thread

4EverRangerFrank

Start of the next NYR season and it's time for a pre-game meal. We postponed our wings-n-beers until this weekend so...tonight is grille time.

Marinated chicken breasts (bone and skin on) seasoned simply; oil, S&P, garlic powder and some mint

Cubed sweet potatoes tossed in olive oil and tumeric. Loosely wrapped in heavy duty foil for the grille.

Vegetable mix; onions, zucchini and carrots pan saute

Some chilled Chenin Blanc is ready to flow.

LGR!

PS - I couldn't find the old Dinner Thread to *bump*

Been doing hello fresh. Very happy so far. Anyone interested we still have I believe 3 free boxes to give away where u get 3 free meals and just pay shipping. Just need an email. You sign up and just cancel after you get your free meals if not interested in going further.

Tonight was cheesy poblano black bean tacos.

Been doing hello fresh. Very happy so far. Anyone interested we still have I believe 3 free boxes to give away where u get 3 free meals and just pay shipping. Just need an email. You sign up and just cancel after you get your free meals if not interested in going further.

Did that in the UK. Loved it but found the veg went off very quick and was an issue. But kept all the recipe cards and still cooking a bunch of them weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Did that in the UK. Loved it but found the veg went off very quick and was an issue. But kept all the recipe cards and still cooking a bunch of them weekly.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I’ve noticed that a bit too but delivery comes Sunday so we usually do mom-wed hello fresh and haven’t had a problem. By Friday you really need to have eaten them though. And yeah those recipe cards are good to have for the future

I love making sauces. I think I've now perfected Hollandaise, and it's derivative, Bernaise. (Thank you COVID)

I make my own BBQ sauces, peanut satay sauces, hot sauces, etc, etc.

What I can't seem to perfect is a good tomato sauce/pizza sauce. There has to be an Italian here who can help me out..

This is something my wife wants to try, but I won't allow it. Is it not just restaurant priced parts of a meal, you then assemble yourself? What's the advantage of it? It looks prohibitively expensive to me after you use up all the major discounts they hand out to get you hooked.

I love making sauces. I think I've now perfected Hollandaise, and it's derivative, Bernaise. (Thank you COVID)

I make my own BBQ sauces, peanut satay sauces, hot sauces, etc, etc.

What I can't seem to perfect is a good tomato sauce/pizza sauce. There has to be an Italian here who can help me out..

PM me. Let me know what the issue is with the sauce, and all your ingredients / steps.

This is something my wife wants to try, but I won't allow it. Is it not just restaurant priced parts of a meal, you then assemble yourself? What's the advantage of it? It looks prohibitively expensive to me after you use up all the major discounts they hand out to get you hooked.

It’s definitely cheaper that restaurant prices. The advantages are they send u exact ingredients for the recipes so you aren’t paying for 3 lbs of potatoes because one day u wanted to bake some seasoned potato wedges and use only 1-2 or an entire bottle of red wine vinegar and sack of onions because I needed to pickle one onion for a street cart chicken recipe. The only thing u need is oil, butter, salt and pepper chop and cook fresh ingredients.

I’ve found our food expenses have gone down a bit. It’s only the two of us so we get recipes for 2 but it costs us 60 for 3 days of dinner and I get to see exactly what I’m eating as opposed to how much oil/butter/ salt someone else is giving me. I’m the cook in the family but I also have the indecisive wife that couldn’t tell you hat she wants for dinner ever even if I gave her a list of her favorite foods. Plus we both work and she is technically brain dead so it’s not like she even knows what she likes lol. Now by Wednesday of the week before weve picked 3 days worth of dinners from a list of choices that arrive Sunday for us and it’s a good 3 different dinners that take 20-40 minutes to prepare and cook.

I’d say if you good with rotating your own extra ingredients then it’s not necessary to try it. But I’ll see a recipe for Mediterranean spiced marinated chicken and pistachio crusted couscous. Sweet, let’s give it a go. I’ll spend 50 dollars getting all ingredients to use 1/10th of it and then have all this extra crap that’ll sit in the fridge and eventually spoil unused because wtf am I going to do with all this extra yogurt, sour cream, chicken stock, etc....when tomorrow I’d have to repeat the same thing with all new ingredients for meatloaf and mashed potatoes with roasted green beans.....

Welp, last night's 'wings-n-beers' dinner was a raucous event. Sauces: Original hot, Original medium, Teriyaki Glaze, Gourmet Garlic, Leapin Lizard & hard and soft-shell chicken tacos -- all from https://planetwings.com/menu/. My son ate an entire chicken coop but he's young and able to do those things. Me? Just the right amount.

Here's a quick recipe if you're looking for fish: 1-2 large pieces of Cod (loins work well) depending upon how many people for dinner. Lightly coat the cod in mayonnaise (I use a spatula and just smear it all over.) Crush "salt & vinegar kettle potato chips then top the fish gently pressing the chips to make a complete coating. Pre-heat oven to 400-degrees. Bake in a parchment lined pan for 12-15 minutes.

Here's a quick recipe if you're looking for fish: 1-2 large pieces of Cod (loins work well) depending upon how many people for dinner. Lightly coat the cod in mayonnaise (I use a spatula and just smear it all over.) Crush "salt & vinegar kettle potato chips then top the fish gently pressing the chips to make a complete coating. Pre-heat oven to 400-degrees. Bake in a parchment lined pan for 12-15 minutes.

I'll be trying that this week.

We also do Hello Fresh. Our kids generally don't eat it but we get the 4 person meals for 2 days per week. We always have leftovers and it saves us from buying lunch or ordering out. We have definitely saved $$. Cost is like $8 per serving which you absolutely could not do when ordering these meals from a restaurant.

Goes quite well with Remoulade sauce.

1/2 cup Mayonnaise

2 tsp Minced shallots

1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard

1 1/2 tsp Drained capers coarsely chopped

1 tsp Minced flat-leaf parsley

3/4 tsp Tarragon vinegar

2 dashes Tabasco (optional)

1/8 tsp Sugar

1/4 tsp Salt (optional)

Fresh ground pepper to taste

Combine all in a bowl mixing well. Chill and serve.

We also do Hello Fresh. Our kids generally don't eat it but we get the 4 person meals for 2 days per week. We always have leftovers and it saves us from buying lunch or ordering out. We have definitely saved $$. Cost is like $8 per serving which you absolutely could not do when ordering these meals from a restaurant.

Definitely, and we like that you can have specific type of diets for the meals too. We dont eat pork so its nice to have all pork free options. Plus 3 weekdays worth of dinner with actual real meals is pretty nice to have and be cost effective.

PM me. Let me know what the issue is with the sauce, and all your ingredients / steps.

I don't have a process. I'm Dutch and my Wife is Swedish. We're both half Scots. There's no recipe to fall back on, just Google. Grew up eating canned garbage.

Had a BBQd sirloin roast, roasted brussel sprouts, some gnochi from a bag, and about a litre of bernaise to wash it all down.

I'm trying to beef my wife up 15 pounds so she gives up on the gym, and I save the membership fee, and gain some ass acreage.

• Like 1

My latest fascination is making steaks in a super-hot, dry cast iron pan then finishing them in the oven. (I've been frustrated by the toughness of the free-range Australian meat we've been buying at ShopRite and cannot find a local source of aged beef.) Lately we've been buying the whole filet mignon and I trim and do my own 2-inch plus cuts. Salting the meat 1-3 hours before cooking them and allowing them to sit on a tray on the counter before cooking. Not quite sure how the process will work with ribeye's tonight, but I'm giving it a try.

1. Heat cast iron pan until 'smoking' hot. Test by tossing in a few drops of water and watch to see them dance on the surface. Make sure the pan is super hot.

2. Place steaks in pan and leave a bit of space between them (like when cooking scallops.) Leave 'em alone.

3. Using tongs, gently raise steaks from the surface. If they 'stick' they need more time. If they release easily, turn over in pan.

4. Put pan into a pre-heated 400-degree oven and monitor interior meat temperature.

I've found that the meat is always tender and moist. Maybe my grille skills suck, but I have never been able to achieve this level of crust, interior color and moistness like I have using this method. I watched plenty of YouTube on salting methods and stumbled upon this cooking method. If I had a commercial salamander-broiler at home capable of 1500-degrees life would be grand but that's not happening.

Anyone have other suggestions? @Dunny - Do you have a bearnaise sauce recipe?

Frank.. Just Google Chef John. Food wishes. I was always frustrated by hollandaise until I found his method it's foolproof.

As for your steaks, that's pretty interesting. I get what you're saying, I can't get my BBQ hot enough to sear how I'd like to. I'm going to pick up some grill grates to help that out.

Have you seen the fancy steak salamanders? They're a little cheaper and get stupid hot. I can't justify the purchase for a one trick pony, but you may want to check one out.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Otto-Wilde--Otto-Wilde-2Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-100011-L6173-K~DGXC1003.html?refid=GX160893920065-DGXC1003&device=m&ptid=908005779786&targetid=aud-833546694848:pla-908005779786&network=g&ireid=117931577&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB7_V9D5iTU7UV5U-FJ7KCVHkimYNVamhafx8POz6bI5ma0wFGkwnNRoCt6IQAvD_BwE

Something like that, but the options are limitless, I see plenty in the $400 US range.