• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

So, Who Starts in Goal? (Playoff Edition)

Keirik

No, because that’s not how you run a hockey team.

I would only start him if I thought he gave the team the best chance to win.

I mean, it’s moot anyway because it would never happen like that.

How many hockey teams have you ran? Lol

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Want Hank to have his swan song but more importantly, I want the COVID CUP!!

It's the name on the front of the sweater that matters. Give Shesterkin game 1. If he is lights out, keep him in. If he sucks, Hank gets a shot. The man thrives on competition. Could be a great scenario either way if Shesty gets game 1.

How many hockey teams have you ran? Lol

Not many. Lol

But you don't need extensive GM experience to understand that the idea is completely far fetched.

- The GM goes to the player and says "look, we want you to retire. If we give you the starting job for the playoff, will you promise to hang up your skates?". I mean, you're asking the player to void the last year of his contract for a handout. I don't know Lundqvist personally, but I feel pretty confident he's not wired in a way in which something like that would be even remotely acceptable.

- The GM then goes to the coach and says "you're playing Lundqvist in the playoffs because I made a I deal that he would retire and clear cap space for us if he gets the starting job". How is a coach expected to run his hockey team and retain some form of meritocracy and competitive environment if the GM starts bartering playoff ice time for solving contractual issues? It's pretty obviously not how you run a professional sports team.

As a pure hypothetical, "would you accept Hank in net in the play-in if it meant he rode off into the sunset afterwards" then yeah, I suppose so.

Not many. Lol

But you don't need extensive GM experience to understand that the idea is completely far fetched.

- The GM goes to the player and says "look, we want you to retire. If we give you the starting job for the playoff, will you promise to hang up your skates?". I mean, you're asking the player to void the last year of his contract for a handout. I don't know Lundqvist personally, but I feel pretty confident he's not wired in a way in which something like that would be even remotely acceptable.

- The GM then goes to the coach and says "you're playing Lundqvist in the playoffs because I made a I deal that he would retire and clear cap space for us if he gets the starting job". How is a coach expected to run his hockey team and retain some form of meritocracy and competitive environment if the GM starts bartering playoff ice time for solving contractual issues? It's pretty obviously not how you run a professional sports team.

As a pure hypothetical, "would you accept Hank in net in the play-in if it meant he rode off into the sunset afterwards" then yeah, I suppose so.

On the Gravesy train here.

JD said it is totally Quinn's decision. It's not Quinn's job to worry about next year's cap. All the body language here says that they are focused on the series. I know shit happens behind the scenes, but making a side deal with Hank about who plays based on 20-21 cap considerations would be a wildly erratic move based on what they have said they want to do in this situation. Just don't think JD would operate that way.

Igor starts Game 1, then it's game by game based on performance.

Not many. Lol

Ask Torts how far fetched it is for management to reach out to players lik Henrik lol

To “reach out” is a pretty wide definition of things you can ask a player, this is a very specific scenario related to bartering ice time in net in the playoffs with a contractual issue. I find the suggestion ludicrous, but whatever. Let’s agree to disagree.

I was in the Seshty camp, but after seeing how engaged and focused Hank looked last night, I'd lean toward a last hurrah for the Old War Horse.

I also think Lundqvist looked better last night, besides that goal.

But, I think, if he had a chance to be the starter, he would have gotten the start yesterday. Give him a chance to enter that game with a starters mindset.

Igor gave up one goal off a defensive eff up. Hank got beat by a clean shot. Not sure how anyone draws any great conclusions from that small a sample.

Igor was the better goalie during the season, and the team played better in front of him by every metric. Igor gets game one and you go from there.

Igor gave up one goal off a defensive eff up. Hank got beat by a clean shot. Not sure how anyone draws any great conclusions from that small a sample.

Igor was the better goalie during the season, and the team played better in front of him by every metric. Igor gets game one and you go from there.

Are you kidding? Igor got beat short side blocker... On a clean shot...?

like I said, eager will have a long and successful career, and I like him... It's no secret that I'm a huge Hank fan... But to say what you're saying is just incorrect.

Are you kidding? Igor got beat short side blocker... On a clean shot...?

like I said, eager will have a long and successful career, and I like him... It's no secret that I'm a huge Hank fan... But to say what you're saying is just incorrect.

So we should discount Igor's superior W/L, GAA, save % and overall play in the regular season. Instead Quinn should, on the basis of one exhibition game in which they both gave up a single goal, start Lundqvist, right?

This isn't based on one exhibition game. It is based on hunches. In any event, if we lose one of the first two games, we will probably see the other goalie, so the chances are good that both will see action in this series.

This isn't based on one exhibition game. It is based on hunches. In any event, if we lose one of the first two games, we will probably see the other goalie, so the chances are good that both will see action in this series.

Not if they start Henrik and sweep :)

So we should discount Igor's superior W/L, GAA, save % and overall play in the regular season. Instead Quinn should, on the basis of one exhibition game in which they both gave up a single goal, start Lundqvist, right?
I'm simply pointing out your completely off base assessment of the goal scored in the last game.

This 'season' has been so weird, that IMO a lot of things go out the window.

Before this abomination of an interrupted season, in normal circumstances, I'd go Igor 100%.

But this sh*t is weird and unprecedented, and I would TOTALLY understand if they start Hank game 1.

Hank loses, then start Igor 2 & 3.

Or start Igor and put the stake in Hank.

Odds are, both will play in this series.