Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK — What to do with Strome Now?

Senior Member Junior Division

OK — What to do with Strome Now?

Well... He's still producing.
    Is he worth 5 mill to everyone now?
    Obviously he's a product of Panarin, but it's working. There's been little talk in the media about re-signing him.

Is he worth anything via trade?
    And was this not Gortons best or at least most under the radar trade since coming here? Or did he do the Zib trade?

What's the latest opinions on this guy?

Senior Member Midget Division
    I don't think he's completely a product of Panarin, but keeping him depends on cost. At worst, they could keep him next year on a 1 year arbitration deal and trade him next year instead if he fades off a bit or they don't want to keep him. I don't see him going anywhere unless someone comes in and overpays (1st round pick?). I wouldn't trade him for a 2nd. Who's going to give a 1st for Strome? Probably nobody.

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Even if he is a product of Panarin, all that proves is that the Rangers have a viable one-two combination away from Zibanejad—whomever.

If he's game for south of five on AAV and term (say 4.5x4), I'm game.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Bantam Division
    They need to keep him.

He’s definitely helped by playing with Panarin. And his shooting percentage has normalized quite a bit, down to around 16%, like a 7% decline over where he was at, which we all expected and knew was unsustainable.

But those two have chemistry, he’s at a point per game pace, and he’s at that seemingly significant 7th season mark in career for guys who get drafted high and enter the league at 18-20. Many guys come into the league at that age, kind of struggle, play at a middling level, bounce around a little, but they get to the stage and age he’s at now, on the right team and place, find some chemistry and take off.

I think that’s what’s happened with him.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    If you find a way to get rid of any 2 of the three in Smith, Skjei, Staal then sure. Preferably Skjei and Smith with no salary retention since that’s the most savings to spend elsewhere. I don’t want to lose ADA specifically. I definitely want to keep Strome but I don’t see him taking a nickel less than 5m though. 5x3. I can live with that.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division jsm7302's Avatar
    Under 5 for 4 years hit it on the head. Over 5....no thanks...Chytil will slot in.

Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Real simple...sign him at 5.5 mil per for a max term of 5 years.
    Rangers are not committed to winning. It's an old boys club.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Trade him.

Offer 5m x 3y in offseason.

Can’t give this guy more than zibanejad is making right now.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Offering him a 3yr deal is a bit insulting.

4 yrs x 5 or so per is a fair deal for him.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Trade him.

Offer 5m x 3y in offseason.

Can’t give this guy more than zibanejad is making right now.
    I wonder if that would come up in discussions. Him making more than Zib would be weird, but Zib signed his contract right before he took off.

Im all for keeping Strome at >5m and 3-4 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

If you think about it, the Rangers have a chance to establish a contract culture as the AVS and Boston to some extent. “Yes you deserve x,y,x but we aren’t paying you more than our A player.......so please accept a little less as others did and let’s keep this rolling”

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    If you think about it, the Rangers have a chance to establish a contract culture as the AVS and Boston to some extent. “Yes you deserve x,y,x but we aren’t paying you more than our A player.......so please accept a little less as others did and let’s keep this rolling”
    Well, they just gave a shit load to Panarin and Trouba, so that’s going to be tough.

But, I agree with the concept.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Well, they just gave a shit load to Panarin and Trouba, so that’s going to be tough.

But, I agree with the concept.
    Yeah for sure but it’s also works in the sense of “ our second best player in ziby makes x. We can’t give you more than that? Zibo is another animal because he performs at a level above everyone else.

What's the return on a guy like Strome? Better be worthwhile. He's looking to be a solid stone in this build.
    "I cross out words so you will see them more; the fact that they are obscured makes you want to read them."

HNIC BSBH Legend
    If you have him $5.5 and he comes back to earth as a 45 point player... He's not really overpaid.

The issue (as with Kreider) is term. No more than 4 years.

Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    If you can't lock him in on a 4 million X 4 years deal, I say sell high.

Considering that Ryan Dzingel got Ottowa a cost controlled NHL player(Anthony Duclair) and two 2nd rounders, I don't think it's out of the realm to think we couldn't get a top prospect and a late 1st rounder. Dzingel was nowhere near Strome's almost point per game production. Whatever they do, they cannot give him a market contract like 5.5 million X 5 years for really what is an exacerbated season's worth of production as Panarin's pivot. That spot should be earmarked for Chytil.

Senior Member Mite Division MuddyInTheMiddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you have him $5.5 and he comes back to earth as a 45 point player... He's not really overpaid.

5.5million for his stat line his last 2 years on the island or in Edmonton.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/ryan-strome

(barfs in my mouth)
    Last edited by MuddyInTheMiddle; 01-13-2020 at 08:41 AM.

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

There's decent benefit to Strome on that too. Something like 5.5x3 lets Strome get three more years with Panarin and hit the UFA market at a relatively young (for UFAs) 29.

I imagine the worst case scenario is either a massive long-term, or that the Rangers qualify him at 3.4-ish (I believe), he elects arb, and we actually get to arb.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

//reported BSBH Prospect
    The thing about him “being a product of Panarin” is that you have Panarin for the next 6 seasons after this one - Strome might not be Panarin’s center for years to come, but what if he is? Is it a problem to keep him with Panarin for years to come?
    #imthebadguy

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb[emoji769
    ;998634]The thing about him “being a product of Panarin” is that you have Panarin for the next 6 seasons after this one - Strome might not be Panarin’s center for years to come, but what if he is? Is it a problem to keep him with Panarin for years to come?
    No, it's not a problem. You're spreading the offense.

And you have a player in Fast on the other wing who's NOT a product of Panarin because he still can't score, so we shouldn't act like anyone who's with Panarin automatically becomes a 70 point player.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast