• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 Training Camp Thread

Phil

I wouldn't really agree that Kravtsov looks better than Howden or Chytil. They all kind of look the same but these are more "make or break" opportunities for Howden and Chytil, in a way.

That said, Carp mentioned that Kravtsov, Rykov and Shestorykin have been tight all summer and with the other 2 going to the A, it might be the best place for Kravtsov as well.

And reality is... There's really no rush.

There's no rush, and if it's the right decision I obviously don't have a problem with it.

I'm just struggling with the "why", based on what I've seen. Mainly because I don't think Howden is NHL material yet. His underlying stats and performances bar that opening spurt says as much. He hasn't looked any better this preseason imo, and did fuck all with the opportunity he got with the 2nd line. I also don't buy the idea that Chytil is a better winger than Kravtsov so I'm just not sure what the justification is, unless they truly feel he needs time in the A.

This is not a "shiny, new toy" thing, I just see so much skill and upside in Kravtsov and I genuinely believe he's a better player than the other 2.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no rush, and if it's the right decision I obviously don't have a problem with it.

I'm just struggling with the "why", based on what I've seen. Mainly because I don't think Howden is NHL material yet. His underlying stats and performances bar that opening spurt says as much. He hasn't looked any better this preseason imo, and did fuck all with the opportunity he got with the 2nd line. I also don't buy the idea that Chytil is a better winger than Kravtsov so I'm just not sure what the justification is, unless they truly feel he needs time in the A.

This is not a "shiny, new toy" thing, I just see so much skill and upside in Kravtsov and I genuinely believe he's a better player than the other 2.

I haven't seen too much of Kravtsov yet to say for sure that he should be sent down but on the flip-side I haven't seen enough of him to think he's automatically earned a spot on the NHL roster. I don't think he's had any of those moments where you just say "whoa, that guy is ready". I'm not sticking up for Howden here because I'm not a big fan of his either, but he is a center and he seems to understand the defensive responsibilities of that position. I disagree with Chytil. I think he's shown that he's more ready to contribute to this team on the wing than Kravtsov has to this point.

I don't think it'll be the worst thing in the world for Kravtsov to go to Hartford and acclimate a little bit more. He'll have some fellow countrymen there and won't have any unnecessary pressure to perform.

Holy sh*t I think Pete & myself are actually in agreement on his last post.

Considering that this is a "development season", I don't have an issue with Kravtsov starting the season in Hartford. The coaching staff needs to see if Chytil, Howden, & Andersson(who are all farther along on the prospect curve), continue to develop & grow or just kind of plateau at where they are. That is all without mentioning Kakko's impending development.

I would argue that I see Namestikov & Strome as a roadblock for Kravtsov, and that one of them really needs to be moved as soon as one of the aforementioned three step up and take an undisputed role on the 2nd or 3rd line as Kravtsov certainly does look ready for the NHL now.

Holy sh*t I think Pete & myself are actually in agreement on his last post.

Considering that this is a "development season", I don't have an issue with Kravtsov starting the season in Hartford. The coaching staff needs to see if Chytil, Howden, & Andersson(who are all farther along on the prospect curve), continue to develop & grow or just kind of plateau at where they are. That is all without mentioning Kakko's impending development.

I would argue that I see Namestikov & Strome as a roadblock for Kravtsov, and that one of them really needs to be moved as soon as one of the aforementioned three step up and take an undisputed role on the 2nd or 3rd line as Kravtsov certainly does look ready for the NHL now.

It kind of feels like he's impeding progress at this point. Now watch he goes out and lights it up this year.

It kind of feels like he's impeding progress at this point. Now watch he goes out and lights it up this year.

That would be the best case scenario actually, which would allow them to flip him for more than the obligatory 3rd or 4th round pick they are going to eventually get for him before or at the deadline. Does anyone here really see giving Namestikov a 3-4 year open market contract based on one good season here? I would drop that suggestion faster than you can say "Matt Beleskey".

I haven't seen too much of Kravtsov yet to say for sure that he should be sent down but on the flip-side I haven't seen enough of him to think he's automatically earned a spot on the NHL roster. I don't think he's had any of those moments where you just say "whoa, that guy is ready". I'm not sticking up for Howden here because I'm not a big fan of his either, but he is a center and he seems to understand the defensive responsibilities of that position. I disagree with Chytil. I think he's shown that he's more ready to contribute to this team on the wing than Kravtsov has to this point.

I don't think it'll be the worst thing in the world for Kravtsov to go to Hartford and acclimate a little bit more. He'll have some fellow countrymen there and won't have any unnecessary pressure to perform.

He might understand his defensive responsibilities, but he fails to execute them. He had the worst expected goals against in the entire league last season.

I actually quite like Howden, but if anyone needs seasoning it's him. Last season showed he blatantly wasn't ready to play in the NHL and I have seen nothing this preseason to suggest he's made the huge steps forward he needs to. Quinn loves the guy though, so I'd be very surprised to see him start where he should.

I don't think going to Hartford is the worst thing in the world for Kravtsov either, to be clear. I just think there are others who need it more than him.

I also don't think "if we keep Kravtsov with the big team, what the fuck are we going to do with Namestnikov" is a particularly good reason to send him down either.

If there's a sound argument as to why he should go down there for a bit for developmental reasons then sure.

He might understand his defensive responsibilities, but he fails to execute them. He had the worst expected goals against in the entire league last season.

I actually quite like Howden, but if anyone needs seasoning it's him. Last season showed he blatantly wasn't ready to play in the NHL and I have seen nothing this preseason to suggest he's made the huge steps forward he needs to. Quinn loves the guy though, so I'd be very surprised to see him start where he should.

I don't think going to Hartford is the worst thing in the world for Kravtsov either, to be clear. I just think there are others who need it more than him.

I also don't think "if we keep Kravtsov with the big team, what the fuck are we going to do with Namestnikov" is a particularly good reason to send him down either.

If there's a sound argument as to why he should go down there for a bit for developmental reasons then sure.

Howden and Kravtsov aren't vying for the same role.

It comes down to Strome or Namestnikov stays the other goes, probably sooner rather than later. Unless Chytil, and or Andersson and or Kravstov gets sent to Hartford. Then they might keep both out of necessity. McKegg has also shown he's a cheaper bottom six piece which adds another to the mix, further weighing on the keep Namestnikov and or Strome conversation and their potential need. Personally I don't think Strome the Rangers default second line center is going anywhere. Chytil hasn't shown any ability or even interest by way of work ethic in the job, and at this point is questionable to make the team, and Namestnikov and Strome are abely replaced by Mckegg on a bottom two line, so one Strome is number two center, Namestnikov goes.

Decisions on guys like Kravstov, are why Quinn and company get the big bucks. The good news is the Rangers have options and in particular can send him to Hartford for lots of ice, a scoring role, and likely a til christmas type stay.I think Kravstov would be fine locked in on a third line role but he's in tough at this point in time.

No shit.

Sending Howden down still creates room for Kravtsov.

Normally I agree with most of what you lay out, but I disagree here. Howden is 21 years old, and will be 22 by the end of the season. The coaching staff needs to get a real long look at him and determine what/if his long term role is looking at this prospect glut objectively; all of that is without the perceived fetish that Quinn seems to have for him. With Kravtsov being 19 years old, I really don't see the harm in him getting BIG 1st line & PP minutes in Hartford(as opposed to 9-12 minutes on the Rangers third line) while the coaching staff gets a better grip where Chytil, Howden, & Andersson are in their development curve and may "fit" long term over the first 20 games or so.

No shit.

Sending Howden down still creates room for Kravtsov.

No it doesn't. They need a center if they move Chytil to wing. Strome is currently between Kreider and Kakko. Then you have Names-Howden-Chytil. Even if you put Lias on the third line, all that does in leave Nieves as 4C.

Now you might argue that Kravtsov deserves a spot over Chytil, but I'd argue that they need to know what they have in Chytil right now, way more than Kravtsov. Kravtsov can marinate. Chytil needs to define himself.

In any other case, Names and Krieder are blocking Kravstov more than Howden is. Unless you want to see Names as the 3C with Krav and Chytil.

Woah. Hajek up there with Trouba and Skjei down with Smith is interesting to see. I feel Hajek has been incredibly solid throughout the preseason. I wonder if Quinn feels the same way or if we shouldn't read too much into this. You would think if Skjei and Trouba was a lock pairing, they would be playing together again. In all honesty, they haven't looked great together.

No it doesn't. They need a center if they move Chytil to wing. Strome is currently between Kreider and Kakko. Then you have Names-Howden-Chytil. Even if you put Lias on the third line, all that does in leave Nieves as 4C.

Now you might argue that Kravtsov deserves a spot over Chytil, but I'd argue that they need to know what they have in Chytil right now, way more than Kravtsov. Kravtsov can marinate. Chytil needs to define himself.

In any other case, Names and Krieder are blocking Kravstov more than Howden is. Unless you want to see Names as the 3C with Krav and Chytil.

Yes it does.

Chytil/Names -> Center

Kravtsov-> wing

Howden -> bus

I’d argue there’s a bigger need to get a good look at Chytil at C. If it doesn’t work there’s a new decision to make.

Probably after he gets traded.

He might be there to help Russians, at this point. He's not using his offensive skills, rendering him an average 3rd/4th liner. No sense keeping when that's valuable icetime kids could be using during a development season.

Normally I agree with most of what you lay out, but I disagree here. Howden is 21 years old, and will be 22 by the end of the season. The coaching staff needs to get a real long look at him and determine what/if his long term role is looking at this prospect glut objectively; all of that is without the perceived fetish that Quinn seems to have for him. With Kravtsov being 19 years old, I really don't see the harm in him getting BIG 1st line & PP minutes in Hartford(as opposed to 9-12 minutes on the Rangers third line) while the coaching staff gets a better grip where Chytil, Howden, & Andersson are in their development curve and may "fit" long term over the first 20 games or so.

Well, I think they got a good look at Howden last season, and he didn’t show much. In fact he looked completely out of his depth, and it’s been more of the same in preseason so based on that I think he as much as anyone needs to play big minutes in Hartford to develop his game.

But again, no drama at all if Kravtsov starts down there. I’m just not sure I agree from a talent/skills perspective.

Woah. Hajek up there with Trouba and Skjei down with Smith is interesting to see. I feel Hajek has been incredibly solid throughout the preseason. I wonder if Quinn feels the same way or if we shouldn't read too much into this. You would think if Skjei and Trouba was a lock pairing, they would be playing together again. In all honesty, they haven't looked great together.

I hope it doesnt mean much. Or else we get Panarin - Howden - Buchnevich

Probably after he gets traded.

He might be there to help Russians, at this point. He's not using his offensive skills, rendering him an average 3rd/4th liner. No sense keeping when that's valuable icetime kids could be using during a development season.

To your point, look at Namestikov's career stats and segregate that ? season that he played with 2 of the best players in the NHL and he is basically the same player as Jesper Fast. One is slightly better defensively and the other is slightly better offensively, but they really are the same player. Major difference? One of them makes 4 million per season while the other makes less than 2.

Yes it does.

Chytil/Names -> Center

Kravtsov-> wing

Howden -> bus

I?d argue there?s a bigger need to get a good look at Chytil at C. If it doesn?t work there?s a new decision to make.

Yea, it kinda sounds like shiny new toy syndrome.

I might agree with you if Kravtsov lit up camp and dominated, but he hasn't.

So again, no need to rush.

I hope it doesnt mean much. Or else we get Panarin - Howden - Buchnevich

He's been mixing forward lines. I expect that. He has not mixed defensive pairings, and he has not broken up Skjei and Trouba yet. The 3 games those two have played have been together. So why the change? They haven't looked good together. If they are going to be a pairing, they could use the game to work on it.