Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tony DeAngelo's Holdout

Senior Member BSBH Prospect

Tony DeAngelo's Holdout

"If Two Players Hold Out But No One Cares, Did They They Really Hold Out At All?"

That was gonna be the original headline. Simply put, the Rangers don't have cap space to give them more money. They don't have negotiation power to get more money. So the easiest solution for everyone is that they just sign their QO and prove they're worth keeping around.

I love Lemieux's game but not at the expense of anyone else and DeAngelo's long term future in NY is about as tenuous as you can get. He could be replaced by Miller as soon as next year. His role as the "offensive dman" was already supplanted by Fox for this season. Missing games this season will hurt DeAngelo more than it will Lemieux, but from my perspective, it won't hurt the Rangers at all. So the boys should just bite the bullet, sign on the dotted line and try to make their next contract a big one. Otherwise, I could see someone like DeAngelo being forced to start his European career early.
    GORTON 2020

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    They can hold out all they like. There's literally no incentive to get either of them signed, so the only thing they're doing is losing potential paychecks before eventually giving in to the fact that there are finite dollars available to the two of them.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    we just have to be cap compliant once camp starts right?

Currently (according to capgeek) we have $1 million in cap space

so once camp starts, can't we right away, demote Belesky and McKegg (who they currently count against our cap) and make enough room for both of them to sign?

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    The incentive is having them in the lineup, and not a bunch of garbage roster filler, which looks to be the other option.

All depends on what they're holding out for, really. We don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    we just have to be cap compliant once camp starts right?

Currently (according to capgeek) we have $1 million in cap space

so once camp starts, can't we right away, demote Belesky and McKegg (who they currently count against our cap) and make enough room for both of them to sign?
    Yes. But the numbers are still finite. It's why most projections effectively condemn Smith before he's even had a chance to play.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    The incentive is having them in the lineup, and not a bunch of garbage roster filler, which looks to be the other option.

All depends on what they're holding out for, really. We don't know.
    Garbage? I dunno about that. Lesser players? Probably. But not garbage. I like both players and I like the bite they bring a lot. But I can't imagine they're asking for that much more than their QO at this point. Is it really worth missing camp for?

They should sign and then be resigned once we figure out what's happening with Kreider, Names, Fast, etc. later in the season. They can get paid, now is just not the time.
    GORTON 2020

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    They can hold out all they like. There's literally no incentive to get either of them signed, so the only thing they're doing is losing potential paychecks before eventually giving in to the fact that there are finite dollars available to the two of them.
    I think there is incentive in having them there, to see how they will fit in with this group moving forward past this season. This is still a feeling out process for the coach, and which players will be contributing players moving into the future of this team. While they are missing pay checks, they/the team is missing valuable bonding time which is necessary for young teams coming together, working together, and growing together.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

HNIC BSBH Legend
    ADA is the real "loss", mitigated by Trouba and Fox.

Lemieux is purely entertainment. He's easily replaced by any competent player.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Yes. But the numbers are still finite. It's why most projections effectively condemn Smith before he's even had a chance to play.
    yeah but in terms of this topic, for signing these guys, isn't it an easy fix? Like, if they have to technically miss the first day of camp, and we immediately demote whatever cap casualties we have left, can't we instantly sign them?

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ADA is the real "loss", mitigated by Trouba and Fox.

Lemieux is purely entertainment. He's easily replaced by any competent player.
    Honestly, I dont think we know what we have with either, at this point. They could be vital players moving forward. Or, easily replaceable. This season will tell, and I'd like to see them both around and get a chance to prove they want, and deserve, to be here when this team is successful.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Honestly, I dont think we know what we have with either, at this point. They could be vital players moving forward. Or, easily replaceable. This season will tell, and I'd like to see them both around and get a chance to prove they want, and deserve, to be here when this team is successful.
    Agreed.

That said, it's not the Rangers decision to make. Hopefully they're both a part of the team from the start.
    GORTON 2020

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    The process is just really flawed. Why can't they just go to arbitration?

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Because that comes with tenure.

Neither has earned anything.

Senior Member Mite Division Costa's Avatar
    Chances are once Smith and Beleskey are waived and sent down to the A, 2.15 mil in cap space will be freed up and they will get signed toot suite.
    A very willful boy. A rather.......naughty boy, if I may be so bold.

Quote Originally Posted by Costa View Post
    Chances are once Smith and Beleskey are waived and sent down to the A, 2.15 mil in cap space will be freed up and they will get signed toot suite.
    I saw a tweet that Lemiuex was at informal practices. No mention of DeAngleo though.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    I think there is incentive in having them there, to see how they will fit in with this group moving forward past this season. This is still a feeling out process for the coach, and which players will be contributing players moving into the future of this team. While they are missing pay checks, they/the team is missing valuable bonding time which is necessary for young teams coming together, working together, and growing together.
    What I'm saying is that the Rangers aren't pressed to make this happen, so if both of their camps choose to hold out, the Rangers will wait, qualifying offer in hand. When they're ready to sign for QO value (give or take), they'll be welcomed back. The dollars literally don't exist to do anything else, and both of their agent's know this. So, they can either sign, wait and hope a trade frees more room, or watch from home.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    yeah but in terms of this topic, for signing these guys, isn't it an easy fix? Like, if they have to technically miss the first day of camp, and we immediately demote whatever cap casualties we have left, can't we instantly sign them?
    It all depends on who makes the team and who doesn't. But almost every roster projection leaves very little room left for the two of them.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Costa View Post
    Vinny Letteri: " Shit "

ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    I mean, does it really hurt us if Lettieri and Lindgren make this team because these two don't sign?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    I mean, does it really hurt us if Lettieri and Lindgren make this team because these two don't sign?
    Probably, because I'm not sure either is an NHLer, but relatively speaking, I get your point.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

HNIC BSBH Legend
    What makes Lindgren not an NHLer? He was fine in a small sample size.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast