• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

"Callahan-to-Rangers ship has sailed,"

Phil

Rangers beat writer Rick Carpiniello: Last year the Rangers considered, and I believe were very willing to take the contract of their former captain off the Lightning?s hands ? with an asset coming along in the deal.

This year, though, the Rangers are speeding up their rebuild and have their eyes trained on some July 1 shopping, whether it be UFAs, an offer sheet for an RFA or possibly a larger-scale trade that brings a top-pair defenseman. I can?t imagine they?d be willing to use their available cap space in the same way this summer unless the ?asset? they?d get was overwhelming. That?s not likely. So I believe that the Callahan-to-Rangers ship has sailed.

https://theathletic.com/985835/2019/05/20/five-potential-destinations-for-ryan-callahan-who-is-on-the-outside-looking-in-with-lightning/

How about Shattenkirk to Tampa for Callahan? Only 1 year of Cally at 5.8mm cap hit vs. 2 years of Shatt at 6.65mm. Have to admit I still have a soft spot for RC since 10 years ago I named my cat after him (Cally). But I wouldn't do this unless Tampa took our junk in exchange.

How about Shattenkirk to Tampa for Callahan? Only 1 year of Cally at 5.8mm cap hit vs. 2 years of Shatt at 6.65mm. Have to admit I still have a soft spot for RC since 10 years ago I named my cat after him (Cally). But I wouldn't do this unless Tampa took our junk in exchange.

TB can’t take on salary. They need to unload these contracts, and one like Callahan will come with a 2nd and/or prospect as incentive.

TB can’t take on salary. They need to unload these contracts, and one like Callahan will come with a 2nd and/or prospect as incentive.

Could probably do Shattenkirk for Callahan (who is then bought out) and a player they can actually use. Killorn?

Then flip Namestnikov to offset again.

Could probably do Shattenkirk for Callahan (who is then bought out) and a player they can actually use. Killorn?

Then flip Namestnikov to offset again.

I don’t like the idea, but it’s the off-season... the guy I’d be thinking about is Tyler Johnson. Not that I’m a huge fan, but he’d be coming at a huge discount. And I imagine the trade requires retention on Shattenkirk. Yuck.

If I’m Tampa, I buy out Callahan over taking Shattenkirk.

If Tampa's trading Callahan it's probably to flat out dump his salary to get some cap space back. Would be shocked if they had any interest in Shattenkirk with his contract. I would think they'd be more interested in someone like Pionk, who can probably be re-signed on a cheaper 2x2.5 kind of deal. That would save them 3.3M against the cap if they are unloading Callahan. The question is, do they have anything good enough to make it worth it on the Rangers' end?

I don’t like the idea, but it’s the off-season... the guy I’d be thinking about is Tyler Johnson. Not that I’m a huge fan, but he’d be coming at a huge discount. And I imagine the trade requires retention on Shattenkirk. Yuck.

If I’m Tampa, I buy out Callahan over taking Shattenkirk.

Good point. Natural 2C to give Chytil a longer leash.

If Tampa's trading Callahan it's probably to flat out dump his salary to get some cap space back. Would be shocked if they had any interest in Shattenkirk with his contract. I would think they'd be more interested in someone like Pionk, who can probably be re-signed on a cheaper 2x2.5 kind of deal. That would save them 3.3M against the cap if they are unloading Callahan. The question is, do they have anything good enough to make it worth it on the Rangers' end?

They wanted him in free agency. He said no (at the time).

Also, I'd give them Pionk for free.