• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Trade F Peter Holland to CHI for D Darren Raddysh

Phil

Would be funny if we end up with Taylor Raddysh, Darren’s brother as well. As there was a rumor that TB was looking/scouting Shattenkirk.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah, it's an interesting thought. The Rangers do have more incentive than "brothers" to make it happen, too. If the Lightning feel New York has an extra piece or two to make their run to the Cup a sound one, the Rangers have little reason not to secure that 2019 conditional first-rounder.

Why would the Blackhawks make that trade? Just from a standpoint of Holland being a 28 year old career AHLer, and who knows about his Raddysh kid with only a couple of years in the A.

from briefly skimming through Blackhawks Reddit, it seems they have a organizational logjam ahead of him for a RHD and with Holland being a UFA at years end it allows them to clear a contract slot. They have two D prospects not currently in Pro hockey, Boqvist (8th overall 2018, Lodon) and Ian Mitchell (57th Overall 2017, U of Denver) that they would want to make room in the organization for.

from briefly skimming through Blackhawks Reddit, it seems they have a organizational logjam ahead of him for a RHD and with Holland being a UFA at years end it allows them to clear a contract slot. They have two D prospects not currently in Pro hockey, Boqvist (8th overall 2018, Lodon) and Ian Mitchell (57th Overall 2017, U of Denver) that they would want to make room in the organization for.

I think you're right, but I'm still kind of baffled by this.

You need AHL defensemen too, so I don't really understand just outright dumping a 22 y.o. blueliner, regardless of the other prospects in the system. If you need to dump a contract, why not one of the older guys?

I think you're right, but I'm still kind of baffled by this.

You need AHL defensemen too, so I don't really understand just outright dumping a 22 y.o. blueliner, regardless of the other prospects in the system. If you need to dump a contract, why not one of the older guys?

there's also the "hey this kids a good kid but he isn't ever gonna crack the NHL here so lets find him an opportunity somewhere" aspect which could have factored in.

there's also the "hey this kids a good kid but he isn't ever gonna crack the NHL here so lets find him an opportunity somewhere" aspect which could have factored in.

Yea but regardless of whether or not he could be an NHL player, why not just flip him for a late pick or "prospect" of the same calibre? Why trade for a pending UFA AHLer?

Raddysh is an undrafted guy so you don't need a return on him, and I understand wanting to make room for Boqvist or whoever, but you've essentially made a trade for the sake of making a trade.

The problem for Raddysh is athleticism. At 6’1 and 200 pounds, he’s by no means undersized. However, it’s not an advantage, either. While his skating has improved from his time in the OHL, he’s only ordinary by AHL standards. He lacks explosiveness in his stride, and that limits his ability to rush the puck or defend in transition.

Both in his strengths and weaknesses, Raddysh is stylistically similar to a defenseman like Adam Clendening.

Chicago has a glut of right-handed defensemen in their system, including Henri Jokiharju, Adam Boqvist, Ian Mitchell, and Chad Krys. Raddysh was already losing minutes to the recently demoted Jokiharju, and with at least some others likely turning pro next season Raddysh had become redundant in their system. They acquire an elite AHLer in Peter Holland, and he will be a massive help to Rockford’s sputtering offense as they push for a playoff spot.

The Rangers and Wolf Pack lose the battle but win the war. As great as Holland has been in Hartford - 49 points in 52 games - he is a 28-year-old who will become an unrestricted free agent in July. Hartford is well outside the playoff picture, and so the short-term gains he would provide don’t mean much. Every defenseman the Rangers have under contract in Hartford is left-handed, and that has created a myriad of problems. Raddysh gives the Wolf Pack a right-handed defenseman they desperately need both this season as well as next; Raddysh is under contract through 2020, when he’ll become a restricted free agent.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/2/19/18230772/new-york-rangers-chicago-blackhawks-trade-darren-raddysh-scouting-report-peter-holland-hartford-ahl

Archived