• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Four Ways To Get Rid of Brendan Smith

Sod16

They've had it and have no expectation of him getting back his game (which was a bit of a flash in the pan anyway), so which of the four following methods will be used to dispatch him:

1. The Retention of Salary Trade. They can only retain half, and at this point, I don't think it is likely that someone would take him and be committed to two years at $2 million given that as a UFA, Smith would probably at this point get a one year $800k deal approximately.

2. The My Problem for Your Problem Deal. He's not the only nothing burger in the league with two more years at $4 m left on his contract. These type of trades usually amount to shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

3. The Give Someone An Asset to Take Him. Under this type of trade, you couple Smith with someone who actually has some value and you just get something nominal in return. Do we really want to lose assets, even relatively modest ones, just to get Smith off the books?

4. Buy out. You don't really save anything. Just spread the agony out longer.

If you don't like any of 1-4, is he a good enough citizen to have kicking around in Hartford for two years ala Wade Redden, or does Vinnie Lettieri answer that question for us?

Don't think it even matters. Next season and the season after are going to be rough most likely. Then his contract will be up with other dead weight expiring at the same time.

Otherwise, stick him in the AHL if for whatever reason the cap space is needed. But it only saves like $1M in cap space to bury that contract in the AHL.

You just slip out the back, Jack

Make a new plan, Stan

You don't need to be coy, Roy

Just get yourself free

Hop on the bus, Gus

You don't need to discuss much

Just drop off the key, Lee

And get yourself free

Paul Simon, 50 Ways to Leave your Lover

I’d take nothing back. I wouldn’t want to dilute a trades value by packaging him (Hayes/Kreider) and take a lesser return. Also wouldn’t add any more than a 4th to move him for nothing. But should probably wait this contract out. Let him go punch teammates in Hartford, I don’t care.

Would still like to see him bounce back, though.

5. Mutual termination

Not that I think it would happen, but if the Rangers tell him he's only going to play in Hartford, it's possible.

The PA would never allow that to happen before exhausting all other options. It's the nuclear option that no one — especially not the PA — wants setting a precedent.

You just slip out the back, Jack

Make a new plan, Stan

You don't need to be coy, Roy

Just get yourself free

Hop on the bus, Gus

You don't need to discuss much

Just drop off the key, Lee

And get yourself free

Paul Simon, 50 Ways to Leave your Lover

Riders on the storm

into this house were born

into this world we're thrown

Just a brutal signing, one that makes me hesitate in thinking that Gorton has the skill set to rebuild a team from the ground up. All it takes is a couple of swings and misses to destroy a realistic timeline for a solid rebuild. This was a total wiff.

Not that hes taking anyones spot because the defense is terrible with or without him but if push comes to shove I would just send him back down to hartford.

Of all the stupid contracts the rangers have given out over the years this one makes the least amount of sense to me.

Just a brutal signing, one that makes me hesitate in thinking that Gorton has the skill set to rebuild a team from the ground up. All it takes is a couple of swings and misses to destroy a realistic timeline for a solid rebuild. This was a total wiff.

Yeah but in the same breath it only takes a couple homeruns too. If Chytil and Kravtsov are stars in two years, everyone else just needs to fill a role. I think after this draft we’ll have had 8 first round picks in 3 years. I’d have to imagine we’ll strike gold on at least a couple of them.

what about putting him on waivers in order to terminate contract. how does that work?

Contract termination must be agreed upon by both parties first. After, he'd be placed on unconditional waivers for the purposes of contract termination, and would become a free agent upon it's completion.

The likelihood of this happening is extremely small, however, as the PA would take umbrage with the general precedent that would be set by allowing a healthy player who signed a good faith contract to effectively be "cut" becuase the team has buyer's remorse.

Contract termination must be agreed upon by both parties first. After, he'd be placed on unconditional waivers for the purposes of contract termination, and would become a free agent upon it's completion.

The likelihood of this happening is extremely small, however, as the PA would take umbrage with the general precedent that would be set by allowing a healthy player who signed a good faith contract to effectively be "cut" becuase the team has buyer's remorse.

I get it. it is most like to happen if the player isn't happy with a team and wants to get out of his contract. not the other way around.

I get it. it is most like to happen if the player isn't happy with a team and wants to get out of his contract. not the other way around.

Even then, I'm not sure the PA would be OK with it until the team had exhausted all other options. If anything, they'd lobby on behalf of the player to have the team buy him out.

The only way I think you'd ever see a Smith-type deal terminated in this way is with an agreement that he was going overseas, rather than making him a free agent again.

Archived