• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Apoplectic Over Rangers? ?Joke? of an Effort

Phil

?You?re going to lose hockey games. But you better want to battle somebody. It?s just ridiculous,? Quinn said. ?Three games where we feel good about our effort and our compete, and then we come out here and do that? It?s a freaking joke.?

?That?s a team that competes hard on pucks and tests your mettle. We failed miserably tonight. Miserably,? Quinn said. ?Our lack of determination in our one-on-one battles, fishing for pucks; you do that in this league, that?s what happens. You get your asses handed to you.?

?We?re going to watch this and we?re going to learn from this,? Quinn said. ?We have zero chance if we?ve got 20 guys in uniform not wanting to compete for pucks and get into people and have a little bit of snarl to your game.?

?They just won every one-on-one battle. It was unbelievable that every time we went into the corner, they came out with the puck,? Quinn said. ?Our lack of ability to be physical and fish for pucks, looked like we?d never been over ?D? zone coverage.?

https://nypost.com/2019/01/14/david-quinn-apoplectic-over-rangers-joke-of-an-effort/

If talent is the issue, why don’t we play more talentless guys that buy in?

A whole team of McLeods - I mean, at least they’ll try when they lose. Isn’t that what “we” wanted this season?

The coach did not assemble this roster. A few of these guys are checked out mentally and need to be traded.

There's nothing else he can do honestly. This is a talent issue, not a coaching issue.

Compete level has nothing to do with talent.

This is my issue with Quinn - there's nothing to suggest that his message is getting through. I don't think he's had enough time yet, but there's nothing to point to and say that he's doing a good job.

If talent is the issue, why don?t we play more talentless guys that buy in?

A whole team of McLeods - I mean, at least they?ll try when they lose. Isn?t that what ?we? wanted this season?

That's up to the GM whether there are players that need to be traded and if he can get a good draft sum including picks and prospects.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Compete level has nothing to do with talent.

This is my issue with Quinn - there's nothing to suggest that his message is getting through. I don't think he's had enough time yet, but there's nothing to point to and say that he's doing a good job.

The only real difference between now and earlier in the season when everyone was talking about loving the coach, the team, and their compete level is that all of those scoring chances they were giving up constantly have started to go in. Phil and others have talked about this even when the Rangers were top 3 in the Metro. It was bound to catch up to them and it has nothing to do with compete level.

After the trade deadline, Quinn can make the case that players are playing for roles next season (stick with team, get traded, sent down.... get new contract or not... minutes going forward). I'd expect vet performance to be uneven until the trade deadline. Kids should be taking every opportunity to earn ice time and a bigger role.

This team isn't close to playoff caliber. Internally, I'd start with some healthy scratches, and make it clear that ice time depends on performance. If you have to bench a player for a third period to send a message, do it. Get each individual player to take ownership for their level of performance, and take the emphasis away from whether the team wins or loses. Team can have a bad game (lots of odd man rushes, lazy effort, opponent misses chances or gets stoned by goaltending) and win, or a good game (solid, hard working, fundamental hockey) and lose. I'd rather NYR was playing fundamentally solid hockey, because that is building a foundation for future years.

I think the jury is still out because it's too early to tell what Quinn is, I will say I don't think he has a magic wand. Their effort is as inconsistent as it was with AV. It's also easy to play musical chairs with healthy scratches when there's an abundance of legit choices all around every game.

Not sure what else a coach can do other than scratch a player or bench them. At some point almost every player on the team has been punished thus far. This roster sucks. He benches a guy only to play somebody else who’s undeserving. That is not his fault. There is no depth at forward and they have maybe 2 nhl caliber defenseman. The rest are dumpster fires some even being paid over 6m a year. Why not blame the stiffs on the blue line being paid millions who all can pass through waivers again and again and again because nobody wants them. Quinn doesn’t either but he’s stuck with them

Not sure what else a coach can do other than scratch a player or bench them. At some point almost every player on the team has been punished thus far. This roster sucks. He benches a guy only to play somebody else who?s undeserving. That is not his fault. There is no depth at forward and they have maybe 2 nhl caliber defenseman. The rest are dumpster fires some even being paid over 6m a year. Why not blame the stiffs on the blue line being paid millions who all can pass through waivers again and again and again because nobody wants them. Quinn doesn?t either but he?s stuck with them

Exactly this

Rangers have depth up front.

Rangers have 8 nhl calibre dmen.

Sure, they lack top end talent, but that can’t make up for consistent lackadaisical effort

Oh, and lack of a good defensive system - which is hilariously ironic to mention after AVs system.

It’s also hilarious to judge a first year coach 44 games in with a roster that was considered shit. Add in the obvious structural problems this team had the past couple of years as if changing coaches just rectifies that over night. Quinn has been nothing to write home about but he isn’t giving reasons for concern either. It’s 44 games. Scotty Bowman isn’t doing anything with this group. Seriously this team employees the worst defense group in the league and their forwards are nothing special either.

I don't think he's had enough time yet, but there's nothing to point to and say that he's doing a good job.

Correct. There's no point or reason to be a Quinn detractor yet, but there is nothing particularly positive to point to either. You want to see what must be a good coaching job? The Islanders have got to be considered to be weaker talent-wise than last year, with Tavares gone, and they were basically as bad as the Rangers were last year. Now look at them, with a weaker roster.

Correct. There's no point or reason to be a Quinn detractor yet, but there is nothing particularly positive to point to either. You want to see what must be a good coaching job? The Islanders have got to be considered to be weaker talent-wise than last year, with Tavares gone, and they were basically as bad as the Rangers were last year. Now look at them, with a weaker roster.

I suspect the Islanders will be crashing back down to earth soon, just like the Rangers have.

I can’t believe anyone could ever think this team would be good. They announced to everyone they were going to actively dismantal the squad. That it would be a process. They didn’t even attempt to upgrade in the summer. I guess I’m not sure if people are complaining to complain or if they actually think this is a playoff team.

Archived