• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

David Quinn Apoplectic Over Rangers? ?Joke? of an Effort

Phil

Why not? Who are all these shitty players in the team? Smith?

People are paying Hayes 7m

Zib is “untouchable”

Kreider pacing 40 (“trade him!”)

Vesey scoring... sometimes.

Namestnikov, Fast, Howden role players

Buch and Chytil “growing “

Staal playing well.

Shattenkirk, Smith not too far removed from playing good hockey ethnic Shatty looking better since returning to the line up.

Pionk has surpassed expectations and still improving.

Lack top end talent and consistent effort, mentioned by Quinn. Still a “rebuilding” team, but we won’t see the entire roster turnover and wait 5 years to see a competitive team.

Lack of defensive system? We chased Tortorella out the door.

Yes, I know that the team had stopped listening to him, and we wanted to play a different style of hockey.

We would win more if we played a lock-down, defensive first system. It would stunt the creative development of our young players. So I am all for staying the course with Quinn, because the development of this team shouldn't be based on wins and losses.

Tortorella was here from 2008-2013, which coincides with Lundqvist at his peak (top 3, or top 5 goalie in the league). To go back to a lock-down system and be successful, Lundqvist would have to be a top 5 goalie... which he can be in stretches... but could he do it for a deep playoff run?

Why not? Who are all these shitty players in the team? Smith?

People are paying Hayes 7m

Zib is “untouchable”

Kreider pacing 40 (“trade him!”)

Vesey scoring... sometimes.

Namestnikov, Fast, Howden role players

Buch and Chytil “growing “

Staal playing well.

Shattenkirk, Smith not too far removed from playing good hockey ethnic Shatty looking better since returning to the line up.

Pionk has surpassed expectations and still improving.

Lack top end talent and consistent effort, mentioned by Quinn. Still a “rebuilding” team, but we won’t see the entire roster turnover and wait 5 years to see a competitive team.

Is there a player on this team who isn’t slotted above where they are capable of playing? Zib and kreider maybe the only ones. Other than that maybe the fourth line guys belonging to just that the fourth line

Center they employ two guys better suited for the second line and on a contender provably the third. Then a 20 year old who should probably be in Hartford being he hasn’t scored in 20 something games and currently Strome who has one foot out the door on his nhl career.

Wing they have 1 legitimate player anyone would want on a contending team in kreider. Sure fast for fourth line depth duty and somebody may take a shot at zucc but his play has been a joke. Other than that there is nothing there that is special. Chytil 3 years from now maybe but right now he’s exactly ehat a 19 year old should be, raw.

On defense it’s even worse. Staal has played admirabley. But even the most optimistic wouldn’t place him any higher than a second pairing guy on a contender. Other than that there isn’t anybody else with any value. Skeij is a joke. Pionk is supposed to sell hope for the future and all I hope is that his minutes shrink every day and year until he’s an afterthought. Shattenkirk and smith are laughable. McQuaid and ada are not nhl players at this point. And clausesen is a nice find for a 7th defenseman. So at best the rangers employee 4 bottom pair guys and Staal.

Goalie is the only position in good hands

We need to add top end talent. I’ve been saying that. It will bump guys down a spot to where they should be.

There are problems that need to be addressed, personnel and playwisee, but this team isn’t a dumpster fire. They’re still a few players and a year of development away from being a contender. But the current squad, when they play could be a. Ubblemteam in the East.

Correct. There's no point or reason to be a Quinn detractor yet, but there is nothing particularly positive to point to either. You want to see what must be a good coaching job? The Islanders have got to be considered to be weaker talent-wise than last year, with Tavares gone, and they were basically as bad as the Rangers were last year. Now look at them, with a weaker roster.

The Isles suck too, just getting ridiculous goaltending...of goalies who have played 20 games, Lehner is #1 in sv% and Greiss is #11, at .922 total.

The best turnaround this year is Montreal. That roster is ugly and they're playing sustainable hockey.

We need to add top end talent. I’ve been saying that. It will bump guys down a spot to where they should be.

There are problems that need to be addressed, personnel and playwisee, but this team isn’t a dumpster fire. They’re still a few players and a year of development away from being a contender. But the current squad, when they play could be a. Ubblemteam in the East.

...the goal is to win the Stanley Cup, not be a bubble team. I have no interest in patch solutions, and neither should you.

Least amount of wins in the league with a defensive squad made up of 6th position defenders and not a single forward who's ever scored more than 60 pts in a season. If that's not a dumpster fire, what is?

The rebuild is happening. No use in fighting it. So just keep expectations tempered and you'll be alright.

The conversation is about expectations and how Quinn is meeting them. The point is this team as a whole is not playing below expectation. Some facets maybe better and some maybe worse than expected but this roster never had a real chance of finding success.

And I totally disagree with this group being anywhere close to being a contender. Add a panarin and even Karlsson too and this team is then a bubble team at best. This current group is destined for a bottom 5 finish, even with zib Hayes and kreider all having career years.

Then I’ll agree with Quinn and say a big problem is effort.

That is a problem at times. Quinn is trying to build the culture he wants. Effort has been a problem here for years. So again it takes time and change in roster as well. He like the players are always going to believe more in themselves than reality. That goes for all professionals, even just people, for the most part.

Even when the effort is there this team has needed stellar goaltending to win. The effort problem hasn’t been a constant. This team has a small margin for error because on almost all nights they are at a talent disadvantage

I said it in the other Quinn thread, their effort has been awful all season long. I was fully prepared to see a team try hard and lose all season long but thats not what we are getting. Theyre just bad and I dont know if they dont care or if the locker room is really just THAT bad. I was on board for a "quick rebuild", keeping some assets and rebuilding around them but at this point I dont care if a single one of these guys is on the team next season besides maybe Chytil, Howden, & Anderson who get a pass because theyre rookies.

Archived