• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

It’s Time for Sliding Rangers to Trade Frustrated Fan Favorite

GLENDALE, AZ.— It is time for Jeff Gorton to do the right thing. Time for the general manager to do what’s best for his team and for Mats Zuccarello by moving the impending free agent as soon as he gets a legit trade offer and thus end the waiting game that is eating away at No. 36 and sure isn’t helping the Blueshirts.

“I’m a human being, so obviously it has been on my mind and I’ve allowed it to get into my head, probably too much,” Zuccarello told The Post following Sunday afternoon’s 5-0 rout by the Coyotes in which the Rangers put up no fight and Henrik Lundqvist was pulled for the second straight game. “When it affects my game the way it has been, that’s on me; I shouldn’t have let it get to that point.

“I mean, I’m a professional and have a responsibility to the team and my teammates. It’s been hard. I let it get to me. I need to let go of it and get back to being the Zukey everyone knows. I thought actually that it was a little bit better that way in this game for me, but obviously not close to being enough.”

It has been obvious for nearly a year the Rangers would move Zuccarello by the Feb. 25 trade deadline. The club would have moved the winger last year, or at the draft, had they received a generous enough offer. Now, though, it’s a fait accompli. He may as well be a chalk outline of himself.

“People can say that I’m making enough money [$4.5 million] that I shouldn’t let any of this affect me, but I’m sorry, I have been here for nine years, and I am human,” said Zuccarello, who has 14 points (four goals, 10 assists) overall. “I know I have a job to do, and I am going to do my best for as long as I’m here. I don’t want to let anyone down.”

Zuccarello has been an immensely popular player among not only the fan base, but his peers in the room. He has been one of the leaders, one of the guys able to lighten the mood in the room who also leads by example on the ice. But he hasn’t been that person or player this year. It’s not a leap to suggest that his teammates have noticed.

“The last few weeks I have been too emotional about it,” Zuccarello said. “It’s a tough situation, but it’s also no excuse for me. It is what it is. I know that.”

https://nyp.st/2QqRgRJ

Let’s rebuild with a move soon. Gorton needs to keep weeding our Garden.

I'm going to miss Zuccarello (if/when he gets traded). At his best, he was a dynamic play-maker, happier with an assist than a goal. Team first, individual second. I blame the situation more than the player for any performance drop-off. Sure, as fans, we'd like a player to be at 100% every night. But that doesn't happen in a 82 game regular season... or even the playoffs. I appreciate what Zucc has given to the NYR over many years.

Aww man, I forget sometimes about the human element of being a professional. We hold athletes to such a high regard for being professional and when we see comments like this, it's sometimes met with a negative reaction. I get that. I won't do that now, but I get it.

Poor guy has dropped his value a lot with his play this season, but I could see him going to BOS, SJS, VGK, or COL - not sure fo what though.

I don't even understand what he's whining about. His friends are all gone or something? I really don't understand it.

This shouldn't even be a story. Just put out and I wouldn't care but he's clearly mailed in the effort aspect of that and has the gall to complain that.. His buddies are gone? lol.

I don't even understand what he's whining about. His friends are all gone or something? I really don't understand it.

This shouldn't even be a story. Just put out and I wouldn't care but he's clearly mailed in the effort aspect of that and has the gall to complain that.. His buddies are gone? lol.

He might have been a little bit spoiled coming into the league. He immediately became best friends with a couple of guys and was playing on a winner.

Imagine being Lawrence Pilot and coming over from Europe to live and play in....Rochester.

Seriously.. Anybody I know that played pro hockey played for about 12 orgs in 6 years for about 35k/year across two continents.

"I know people say I shouldn't complain because I get $200,000 bi-weekly to play a children's game, but fuck man, you have no idea how fuckin cool Brass was, I'm only human, bro"

Seriously.. Anybody I know that played pro hockey played for about 12 orgs in 6 years for about 35k/year across two continents.

"I know people say I shouldn't complain because I get $200,000 bi-weekly to play a children's game, but fuck man, you have no idea how fuckin cool Brass was, I'm only human, bro"

Hagelin was the one that cut deep. Brassard was then like twisting the knife. Pretty sure they were all gay together.

CPJbwU1WcAEcICF.png

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Dunny again.

I'd seriously start opening conversations with Pittsburgh about him. Though they'd have a tougher time getting him on the right than on the left.

I don't think Pittsburgh would want him, but he might fit on a line with Brassard and, maybe, Pearson?

Archived