• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Shattenkirk at Unintended Crossroads

Phil

Over the last ten seasons, in which he?s played over 1700 minutes there, few players have dined out on the man advantage as much as Shattenkirk has. Since 2009-10, he?s scored 329 points ? 160 of which came on the power play. That rate of approximately 49% places him ninth among defensemen in that category over that time.

Yet this season, Shattenkirk has seen as his role as the first PP unit?s quarterback taken over by second-year pro Neal Pionk, who not only leads all Rangers? defenseman by a mile in power play points (11) but is quickly encroaching on surpassing Shattenkirk for the team lead in power play minutes per game played. Pionk currently trails Shattenkirk by just 13 total minutes ? a gap we can expect him to close in the next handful of weeks.

Shattenkirk?s on pace for just 24 points this year, which would just best his lowest-scoring season in 2012-13 ? a lockout-shortened year in which he scored 23 points in 48 games. His points per game played (P/GP) rate, however, has never been as low as it is this season (0.30), which, detailed in a moment, is a direct result of his reduced presence as the team?s go-to power play quarterback.

Unsurprisingly, Shattenkirk?s P/GP has fallen by about half his career average, 0.58, this season. Remember that 49% figure mentioned just before? It sure seems awfully relevant here, no?

There?s no end in sight for Shattenkirk, either. Pionk has already surpassed him, as well as Brady Skjei and Marc Staal ? the latter of whom is still inexplicably his even strength partner ? for the team lead in total time on ice this year. Given the disparity between Pionk and all other Rangers? defenders in power play scoring, barring a major dry spell, there?s little reason to believe Quinn and assistant coach David Oliver will reverse their roles any time soon.

This leaves Shattenkirk, already marred by sixteen months of disappointment, and the Rangers with awfully tough questions to answer as the clock ticks on what is likely another losing season, complete with a second-straight deadline liquidation sale.

Is all of this really worth playing for your favorite childhood team?

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2018/12/7/18128399/new-york-rangers-and-kevin-shattenkirk-are-at-an-unintended-crossroads

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At 50% retained, a team that wants to boost their PP and doesn't need him to play in the top 4. Like Minnesota.

For a 5th rd pick?

Better off just keeping him and playing him. Sadly, he's been one of our more consistent defenders. :disappointed:

In my opinion, there are only 3 defensemen currently on the roster that could be considered ?long term? members of the organization. Pionk, Staal, and Skjei.

I think Staal is a great 3rd pair guy who has the ability to help the younger players. My dislike of Skjei is well noted but his contract is what it is. And Pionk is actually good.

Everyone else is a place holder.

I would trade Pionk right now and sell high. He's not viable on a "good" team.

Really? I think he's proven himself to be the best defender on the team this season. Now, obviously, that's not saying much but it's still something. I don't imagine Pionk to be the top defender on the team in 3 years but I could see him playing a second pair role with PP time.

Keep Pionk, please. Kid has wheels and skill plus a head for the game. He certainly isn't bad now...imagine what he'll be when he matures into the D-role? Something everyone knows about defensemen is that it takes a while to fully realize their potential. Pionk can become a key cog in the wheel when we are ready to contend.

Skeij? Similar to Pionk but not at the same trajectory speed I'm afraid. Sure, he's having a massive crapper of a season. So what? Let that happen now -- while we sprint to the bottom -- and let him develop at his rate of speed. He might become a very valuable asset in 2-3 years.

I would trade Pionk right now and sell high. He's not viable on a "good" team.

Agree here as well, imo he looks ok but only compared to the other junk back there. Nothing much else to see here imo. I don't see us being highly competitive for 3-4 years and hopefully we're not icing dmen who can't play D for shit.

Hoping none of Staal, Shitty, Pionk, Claesson(sp), DeAngelo or Skeji are around at that time. It's a given McQuaid will be gone as well.

Agree here as well, imo he looks ok but only compared to the other junk back there. Nothing much else to see here imo. I don't see us being highly competitive for 3-4 years and hopefully we're not icing dmen who can't play D for shit.

Hoping none of Staal, Shitty, Pionk, Claesson(sp), DeAngelo or Skeji are around at that time. It's a given McQuaid will be gone as well.

I mean, just because a guy doesn't project to be an all star, it doesn't mean that he's garbage. You need bottom pair defenders.

I mean, just because a guy doesn't project to be an all star, it doesn't mean that he's garbage. You need bottom pair defenders.

Agree here too on a real good contending team I don't think any of these guys are a slam dunk. My view of when we get there is probably longer than others here.

i find it funny that Quinn has mentioned more than once that he has 8 quality D-men on this team.... Didn't know we legalized pot this year.

i understand the message but who really believes it.

He says that because there's a glut of Dman than can't be sent down without going through wavers and thus the reason we have entirely too many defenseman on the team.

Archived