• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DET F Tyler Bertuzzi Will Face Supplemental Discipline for Sucker Punch from Bench

Phil

Really - it's two more games than I expected from DOPS. In fact, I didn't even expect a hearing for this, but I forget that there are certain (almost) automatic suspensions and without looking up the history, I imagine interactions with players on the bench and players in play are strictly prohibited, a la jumping the bench to fight someone.

Yeah, Bertuzzi took his glove off.

Before that, Calvert speared him.

And before that, Larkin held Calvert's stick.

So, like I said before - a very odd series of events, but not upset about the outcome.

I know Matt Calvert's name for one reason and one reason only...

I watched the TSN video again.

Calvert gets hit by Greene and his stick flails a bit and touches someone on the DET bench.

#27 and #41 grab Calvert's stick immediately as Calvert is regaining control over himself.

Calvert looks back at the bench and sees Bertuzzi (to the left of #41) who also sorta has his hand on Calvert's stick, but looks like he wasn't even aware of what was happening between Calvert and #27 and #41.

Calvert reacts and spears Bertuzzi. It wasn't until this point that Larkin was even involved, but he helps hold Calvert while Bertuzzi punches.

I'm completely fine with 2 games for Bertuzzi, but I'd also give Calvert a fine for the spear.

Archived