• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The New "Home Improvement" Thread

The Dude

So after a week of construction, they ripped off the old roof, they had to change my floor joists in the attic, apparently the builders or previous owners didn't use the right size and they were too small. They changed all the joists to the proper size and the have the frame and shingles on. It looks good so far, now we have to wait for the town inspection for this part, he is coming Tuesday.

So after a week of construction, they ripped off the old roof, they had to change my floor joists in the attic, apparently the builders or previous owners didn't use the right size and they were too small. They changed all the joists to the proper size and the have the frame and shingles on. It looks good so far, now we have to wait for the town inspection for this part, he is coming Tuesday.

Pictures of progress?

Exciting time for sure, going to be a long process but it must be fun to watch it all come together.

The first couple of days were stressful. We had cracks in the ceiling and some holes, but talking to others that did this, its normal. I am honestly just amazed and impressed at how fast and hard these guys work.

Pictures of progress?

I have to figure out how to get them from my phone to this site. Even our neighbors have been sending us photos of what it looks like from their yard.

I?ve been studying Net Zero home design the past few years through http://www.nesea.org with the idea of building tiny homes in a small subdivision. The land I purchased in two towns doesn?t allow for that so we?re going to pivot towards doing affordable apartments. I?m going to find better property to reach my goal of building $99,000 homes that are about 750 sqft. I know where there are hundreds of buildable lots but I?m not ready to approach those sellers just yet. I need to perfect the structure design and modular systems first on a small test project.

My #1 goal is to design stand alone shelter for the homeless. My work as a foreclosure Auctioneer brings me face to face with poverty daily. And then I see people below that level - the homeless. I know we can do better.

My next realm of study will be to create ?pods? that can easily replace the cardboard boxes people are using now. They will be mass produced and dropped off by municipalities where their homeless congregate now. Under bridges, ?around the bend? and ?just beyond view.? I spot them constantly.

This will be a huge undertaking but will be my ?retirement mission.? I started out looking at groups to work with like Big Brother or Library literacy programs but housing is not being addressed and is an even bigger issue. We have not met this challenge with individual living space as a solution. I?ve worked shelters and they can be good but there are challenges there too. Heck, my concept will have detractors too but it will be an effective tool of a many pronged approach. The aging population is nothing we are prepared to see - large numbers of aged people living in the streets.

If you know someone who wants to work in this area, part-time at first, I?m going to begin putting together a team with expertise in Finance, Grant Writing, Architecture, Engineering, Government Relations, Municipal Law, Logistics/Trucking, Patent Law, etc. Plenty of moving parts. I?m also looking to become profitable and be an employee-owned company with additional rewards for those pitching in at the start. The venture has to create jobs at the same time and earnestly employ the people we are looking to help. Help through work. Everything I?ve read points to the honor and pride people feel from working and creating their own value.

Thanks for reading.

Where I used to live, they had an organization that did this. Built 30 “tiny homes” (slightly bigger, had essentials) that they gave to homeless, in hopes to make them transition/temporary housing.

In typical US fashion, people complaint. Only a few people moved in. And only 1 was occupied after a few months due to complaints because they were too small/not enough/labeling people/handouts/drug houses/anything/everything, etc.

It was such a great idea, then the community turned into a hassle. I’ll have to look it up again, to see how it progressed the last few years. Perhaps the right info could help prevent the same issues. But good luck. We need more people to step up and do these things for the community. :worship:

NIMBY (Not In My Backyard) is alive and well in too many places. One parcel we brought to a public scoping session that was going to become a ?Active 55? community was criticized by neighbors ? ?I love looking at the woods and that will be cut down.? ?I don?t want the traffic.? ?There will be too much light at night.?

Every imaginable negative. Here?s the deal though. I pay about $8,000 every year in taxes on this vacant land. We contribute no burden to the schools and wouldn?t have with the 55 age restriction. It?s ok that I continue to pay for someone else?s ?view of nature? but I shouldn?t be able to develop? Land was always zoned for development.

NIMBY (Not In My Backyard) is alive and well in too many places. One parcel we brought to a public scoping session that was going to become a ‘Active 55’ community was criticized by neighbors — “I love looking at the woods and that will be cut down.” “I don’t want the traffic.” “There will be too much light at night.”

Every imaginable negative. Here’s the deal though. I pay about $8,000 every year in taxes on this vacant land. We contribute no burden to the schools and wouldn’t have with the 55 age restriction. It’s ok that I continue to pay for someone else’s ‘view of nature’ but I shouldn’t be able to develop? Land was always zoned for development.

If you don't wanna pay the taxes on your vacant woodland lot then sell it. Long Island is overcrowded enough as it is. Let the trees stay where they are.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, after a few months of weighing out the options, based on current home inventory locally (low), home prices (higher than where we wanted them to be where we live currently) and a few other factors including timing we have decided that our move from our current house will be into a new construction house located about 10 miles northwest of where we live currently. That takes us farther out into the suburbs and gives us MUCH more bang for our buck.

We are in the initial stages but it?s very exciting for sure. Delivery date falls perfectly in the summer months with the kids out of school. That will make that transition a bit easier for them changing schools.

I?ll keep you posted on how things evolve in 2019. Our current home is just about ready to list. So, that will be a timing thing I?ll have to work on with realtors.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Suburbs for the win!

I prefer a smaller school/community, so kids would have a chance to participate in extra curriculars. Feel it would be near impossible in bigger schools.

We are in a good school district now, if we decide to take advantage

Exactly. I think I got a lot more opportunities in a small school/town, although I did play for some regional teams as I got older.

I was small. Imagine my kids would be the same. So I’d imagine I’d have small white kids, which sets them back a bit.

Growing up in a small rural town, I was the goalie, the 2nd baseman, the point guard, the quarterback and the corner.

It's a fantastic experience.

And yet you still hate affirmative action.

EDIT: typo, should have been HATE not "have".