• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Select [F] Filip Chytil with 21st Overall Pick

ClearedForContact

Chytil is a talented two-way winger with high offensive potential. One of the youngest players available in the draft, he brings an exceptionally speedy game that sees him using him making offensive plays on the go. His combination of both his speed and hands make him an offensive threat anytime he's on the move. The young Czech's stickwork absolutely makes him a threat. Despite being more a team first player, Chytil possesses the ability to release a hard wrist shot that is also relatively accurate.

Chytil doesn't have the highest ceiling, but his offensive skills are certainly intriguing. He projects largely as a middle-six player.

Click here to view the article.

Is this another safe pick for a guy that looks like he has a solid NHL future, versus the more boom or bust profiles of guys like Yamamoto?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

NBC guys said BOTH picks will be in the NHL soon. This kid is 17 I believe so he's out of the equation for a bit. Already playing pro hockey though.

Is this another safe pick for a guy that looks like he has a solid NHL future, versus the more boom or bust profiles of guys like Yamamoto?

Yamamoto is really small but very good defensively so I'm not really sure if I'd say that. I thought Yamamoto was pretty safe honestly. Chytil is definitely safe just not on the level Andersson is. I think he has more offensive potential than Andersson at least.

I think both picks make sense when you factor in:

1) We're rebooting, not rebuilding - and the timeline for turnaround is much shorter

2) We don't have the cache of prospects to take boom or bust and safe bets are required as we plan to restock the shelves soon

3) Both players are defensively and offensively gifted, allowing more flexibility of utilization in a retrofit reboot scenario where future assets and roles are unpredictable.

It's THAT ATTITUDE why this team will NEVER EVER win anything. So keep the cash registers a-ringing suckers.

Right, but that's what we're doing. Me saying it, doesn't make it happen.

We got Zib because it's a reboot. That was the tip of the hat. Otherwise, you blow it up. So, with that known - they have to plot accordingly.

Whether you agree with that strategy is one thing, but them following through on it through this draft shouldn't be incredibly surprising. And, within those parameters, they've isolated two targets with NHL ready games and mentalities.

This is interesting:

:tweet: @Josh_Khalfin: It's been talked about a little but given Chytils age and his success against men, some say he could've been a top 10 pick in 2018

My understanding, and forgive me, is that juniors success in drafts is more heralded than Major/Men's league success - for whatever reason. Which, if true, may suggest a lot about these players.

As for the top 10 in 2018, I wonder why? Shallow draft? Or, simply because he's so young?

My understanding, and forgive me, is that juniors success in drafts is more heralded than Major/Men's league success - for whatever reason. Which, if true, may suggest a lot about these players.

As for the top 10 in 2018, I wonder why? Shallow draft? Or, simply because he's so young?

Because he'd then be an older pick. He just made the cut off by 12 days. He'd have more development time on other players. Saying he'd go top 10 in 2018 is pretty good given how heralded it is as a draft class.

To be fair, the shitting-on was for not taking Yamamoto or Tolvanen at 21, and for not taking Mittelstadt, Vilardi, or Suzuki.

Dude seems like a real asshole to me, but that's just the thing. You never know what's going to happen. Top 10 in next years' draft is pretty high praise. I'm looking forward to seeing him develop.

Seems to have pretty good offensive instincts from what I can see.

I find this one a little more of a head scratcher considering Tolvanen was left on the board. I liked the look of him as a scorer, and with the whole Rangers BC connections he seemed like a good fit. Not saying this kid won't pan out, and in fairness he is essentially a year behind everyone else so that is impressive, but I hope we don't regret this one. Personally I'd leave him in Europe at least another year rather than the AHL. Ideally he joins a better team to play in the CHL against the likes of Frolunda, HC Davos etc.

I think the Rangers decided to go safe in what is being considered a weak draft. After sleeping on it, and knowing our need for impact ELC players, I think this strategy makes sense. It's not flashy, it's not picking the highest potential, but it's giving us the best opportunity to get those guys on ELCs that can produce in the line-up.

we say safe pick,but how is he a safe pick when they went off the board for him,wouldn't the safe pick be the projected player for the 21 pick.

i think they took a chance on both picks ,they where both reaches

i have no problem with the playersthey took

Chytil's rights got selected by North Bay in the CHL Import Draft, 7th overall. North Bay finished 2nd to last in their OHL division last year, with a record of 24-38-6.

http://chl.ca/draft

He's eligible to play in the AHL this year, though I'm curious if NYR brass want him to play a year of Canadian juniors to adjust to the ice. He's already been playing against men in the Czech league.

And per the Rangers twitter account, he had two goals in today's scrimmage at the Prospect Development Camp.

If it was Sweden or Finland I'd say leave him be, but I don't feel the Czech league is as strong. I don't know a great deal about them all but it's just the impression I get. So you have to weigh up adjusting to bigger rinks, with playing against men. I would be eager to see him in North America though, but I'm biased as I'm moving to Toronto from the UK next week and could probably catch a game or two!

I think he's at least a year away from the AHL. Don't rush him, he was one of the youngest kids in the draft. Lay the foundations and build.

Archived