• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ilya Kovalchuk Wants to Return to NHL

Phil

:tweet: @TomGulittiNHL: @FriedgeHNIC said Ilya Kovalchuk wants to return to NHL and he can either play for Devils or needs approval of all teams to play elsewhere.

:tweet: @TomGulittiNHL: I honestly have no idea how the Kovalchuk thing will work out. @FriedgeHNIC also offered option of Devils signing him, trading him.

Why would they do that when they can actually get something of value for bringing him back? That's easily the smartest thing to do. Sign him, and immediately trade him to the team who he actually wants to play for (and who wants him).

Why would they do that when they can actually get something of value for bringing him back? That's easily the smartest thing to do. Sign him, and immediately trade him to the team who he actually wants to play for (and who wants him).

Pure spite!

Honestly seems like a disaster waiting to happen. He's still got his shot, but he's 35 and has lost considerable foot speed from what I have read. And doesn't he have a bad back or at least had back injuries in the recent past?

Seems pretty risky, like it could blow up in a team's face.

So I hope the Devils hang their hopes on him.

Who is gonna take a chance on him when he hasn't played here in a couple of years, and with Olympics not involving NHL players, who is to say he won't do the same thing again and go back to play in Russia to play in the Olympics. He would also have to take a cheap deal, not sure how money hungry he is still.

Who is gonna take a chance on him when he hasn't played here in a couple of years, and with Olympics not involving NHL players, who is to say he won't do the same thing again and go back to play in Russia to play in the Olympics. He would also have to take a cheap deal, not sure how money hungry he is still.

Didn't think of that. Good point.

The only difference between this, signing Alex Semin, or signing Radulov is age. The talent is there, and could be a low-risk acquisition. His trade value is incredibly low and could probably be picked up for cheap both in salary and trade cost.

• 2 weeks later...

:tweet: @PierreVLeBrun: Devils GM Ray Shero says he has confirmed with agent Jay Grossman that Ilya Kovalchuk definitely wants to return to the NHL next season

:tweet: @PierreVLeBrun: Shero says Grossman free to speak to other teams about a potential deal. Devils would do a sign and trade. But deal has to make sense for NJ

:tweet: @PierreVLeBrun: Kovalchuk can't officially sign an NHL contract until July 1. So lots of time for all this to play out. But the Kovalchuk sweepstakes are on

“I think if you look at the type of teams that Jay Grossman is probably going to reach out to, they’re probably pretty obvious, right – the teams that are closer to winning a Cup, big markets. So for sure I think they’ll call the Rangers. For sure I think they’ll call the San Jose Sharks. The list goes on. I think some of the teams are obvious. But at the end of the day, does Montreal get into this or not? I don’t know, but it wouldn’t shock me.”

“Listen, it’s early in the process. Jay Grossman hasn’t even started the process yet. But I think a lot of the teams that you’re going to start hearing – the Florida Panthers, New York Rangers – I think those types of teams early on… because I think it’s also about where Kovalchuk wants to be.

“So we’ll see.”

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/lebrun-roads-lead-new-jersey-kovalchuk/

• 1 year later...

Archived