• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [C] Gabriel Fontaine in 6th Rd (171st) Pick

Phil

a 19-year-old who went undrafted last season. He's a cerebral center who plays a complete game. He was a mid-season acquisition for the Huskies and ended up becoming a big reason they won the QMJHL. He did play offensive minutes and get power play time, registering 20 goals and 25 assists in 63 games (plus 16 points in 20 playoff games).

However, he was also relied upon by Rouyn-Noranda to be their shutdown center and play penalty kill minutes, and that's likely where his NHL potential lies. He's a cerebral, shutdown forward who is a strong skater and engages in the tug-of-war aspects of the game. There's a bit of a Jesper Fast feel to him.

http://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2016/6/25/12030360/nhl-draft-2016-rangers-select-center-gabriel-fontaine-171st-overall

— blueshirt banter

Well that's interesting underrated last year, and has kind of made a case for himself with some production.

Another thumbs up for someone this late in the draft, and possibly a year closer to maturity.

I was almost ready to say with a name like Gabriel Fontaine he has more chance on the theatrical stages of Broadway than the icy one, but who knows?

• 6 months later...

It's kind of weird right now as I think I would put the QMJHL ahead of the WHL.

The AJHL and the BCJHL have strengthened to the point that it's really weakening the WHL. Eastern Canada really doesn't have a viable Tier2 loop to hurt the Q.

It's kind of weird right now as I think I would put the QMJHL ahead of the WHL.

The AJHL and the BCJHL have strengthened to the point that it's really weakening the WHL. Eastern Canada really doesn't have a viable Tier2 loop to hurt the Q.

I'm pretty naive when it comes to Canadian Juniors. I thought there was only 3 major leagues that made up the CHL? What is the AJ and BCJ? I'm guessing Alberta and British Columbia but how does that league affect the WHL?

They're Tier2 'A' leagues, and they have a couple advantages over the WHL.

1) You keep your NCAA eligibility in Tier 2 Junior A.

2) Compressed travel. Travel in the WHL is completely bananas. Especially by bus, in extremely shitty weather. It has to be hard to send your 16 year old away from home for such a lifestyle.

There's an absolutely insane number of junior teams, CHL through Junior 'C', in this country and the hockey has become watered down to the point of exhaustion at the lower levels.

There's now almost 70(!) Tier 2 A teams in Ontario alone, as well as probably 40 junior 'B' teams and 40 junior 'C' teams.

They're Tier2 'A' leagues, and they have a couple advantages over the WHL.

1) You keep your NCAA eligibility in Tier 2 Junior A.

2) Compressed travel. Travel in the WHL is completely bananas. Especially by bus, in extremely shitty weather. It has to be hard to send your 16 year old away from home for such a lifestyle.

There's an absolutely insane number of junior teams, CHL through Junior 'C', in this country and the hockey has become watered down to the point of exhaustion at the lower levels.

There's now almost 70(!) Tier 2 A teams in Ontario alone, as well as probably 40 junior 'B' teams and 40 junior 'C' teams.

Are they seeing a good amount of kids going to college from those junior A teams?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived