PDA

View Full Version : Soccer: The General Talk Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Jules
09-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Well, we've had some chat in all the threads, but indeed I felt like talking about Real Madrid disappointing in Spain and with Fortuna Sittard playing surprisingly well for a team that looked lost and depleted a few weeks ago.

Real Madrid first, man, it looks like Barcelona is having an easy season despite all the injuries for some of their star players. It ain't easy to win it all, but to have two losses already is very early and maybe it's the rumling around Ronaldo looking to leave, but ... Madrid already slipping. That's early.

Fortuna Sittard has been a surprise. 7 points in 5 games is decent, the losses weren't blow-outs and against top flight teams and last Friday they beat a favorite for the title at home and the 1-0 win was not even enough to show the number of chances they created. The coach is a likeable local guy who has made a squad of strangers, foreigners and rentals into a bunch of friends within a few weeks. 11 players who work for each other. Loving it right now.

H-Dreamer
09-16-2012, 05:47 PM
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/Asivb8FqwDuWwN8Rrj2i6w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/de_DE/Sports/Eurosport/887263.jpg
:lol:

Jules
09-17-2012, 08:27 AM
This morning someone I know tweeted that he had heard that Fortuna Sittard might be bought by an Arabian investment company. Two years ago Wadi Degla Holding was interested and they own Wadi Degla FC in Egypt, Lierse SK in Belgium and are closely related to Arsenals youth academy. This spring a Belgian billionaire was looking to help us out, but that deal fell through as well... now suddenly there are these tweets, a guy I know is close to the management and he made some phone calls and his only comment was "To my complete surprise, there is indeed smoke."

Fingers crossed? I can see the value. We have a 12k seater modern stadium that can easily be expanded and with many retail options in the immediate vicinity. There is a world class (!) athletics training center currently being constructed right next door and the stadium is owned by a different invester who is looking to sell for just $3 million dollars.

So a club with a good history, a devoted fan base, lots of potential and a cheap stadium with a lot of options and a UEFA pro license for an estimate price tag of around $8 million dollars... yeah, I see the value there.

H-Dreamer
09-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Miro Klose, always a class act:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/miroslav-klose-scores-hand-admits-ref-goal-disallowed-210044470--sow.html

Bluephoria
09-27-2012, 09:02 AM
:thumbs:

Jules
09-27-2012, 09:21 AM
That's awesome. His team actually lost - kind of because of it - so that's double crazy.

Jules
09-28-2012, 04:02 PM
Well, the bizarre Qatar deal isn't over, but I don't see it happening. The team is (again, it never ends) in huge financial trouble, but they've started the season well with 11 points in 7 games, which is 3-2-2 and unbeaten at home (3-1-0). I'll take it for a squad that's half made up out of youth players and last second rentals.

Jules
10-06-2012, 12:41 PM
Woop! Woop! Fortuna Sittard with 14 points after 8 games. Solidly in 8th position, 4 point gap to number 9 and just 6 points behind the undefeated league leader.

Very proud of how this team has performed so far.

H-Dreamer
10-18-2012, 07:57 AM
And they keep telling me how girls play the game "clean":
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/utah-girls-soccer-player-apologizes-violently-kneeing-foe-145902691.html

Jules
10-20-2012, 07:02 AM
I still can't believe it. Usually I'd be furious if our arch rival MVV Maastricht was leading our league and was heading straight for a championship, but right now I can't help but smile when I see the rankings after 9 games and Fortuna Sittard is firmly in 4th place, just one point behind the number 2, 5 points ahead of the final playoff spot (which is 9th) and just 6 behind firm leader MVV.

You know, for a team with crazy financial trouble as always and a team with 4 starting eleven player who were on last years youth team. Very proud of the team right now. :)

H-Dreamer
10-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Good to hear. Always nice to see a team succeed with young players.

Jules
10-20-2012, 10:28 AM
Good to hear. Always nice to see a team succeed with young players.

The average age of the team is like 23. We picked up a 21 year old free agent striker from an Eredivisie team, no one liked the pick up, we all thought he was just a bench warmer... well, 9 games in he has 6 goals. :D

H-Dreamer
10-20-2012, 11:33 AM
lol lucky. Though this kind of player often tends to be useless if he doesn't score, but as long as he does it's great.

Dunny
10-20-2012, 12:11 PM
I think I like VVVVVVVVVenlo.

Jules
10-20-2012, 12:22 PM
I think I like VVVVVVVVVenlo.

:rofl: My dad's cousin used to play for them. :D

Dunny
10-20-2012, 01:40 PM
The name gets me every time.

Jules
10-20-2012, 02:07 PM
The name gets me every time.

The "Venlo" addition is actually extra. VVV already means Venlose Voetbalvereniging, which means Venlo FC, basically.

Jules
10-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm truly speechless. :cool: FORTUNA SITTARD!

http://i.imgur.com/DkwEE.jpg

H-Dreamer
11-05-2012, 06:57 PM
http://www.isport.in/european-football/european-super-league-the-future-of-football-2543/itemid-267

I know total speculation, but what would your stance be on a "league" like this?
Mine would be obvious, I don't even care for the CL, why would I care for this shit?

Jules
11-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Last season Fortuna Sittard missed the playoffs on the last night of the season, ending the year with 48 points (13 wins, 12 losses, 9 ties).

This year after just twelve games the team has an astonishing 23 points. That's 7 wins, 2 ties and just 3 losses so far. They have 18 goals for, just 10 against. Tonight was yet another away win with 1-3 and the lone goal for the opponents was a gaffe by the goalkeeper late in the game.

Despite all success on the pitch, it's yet another bad year of the pitch. The team is struggling with a direct debt of about $3 million dollars, of which at least $500k needs to be paid soon. That's worrying, but apparently a new sponsor will pay of that next week and the team is optimistic. It's not easy, but let's just hope for the best. This great season so far is a testament to the teams resilience.

Morphinity
11-14-2012, 11:29 PM
HOLY! SHIT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQhuE3b_GBU

H-Dreamer
12-04-2012, 11:32 AM
I've read that a dutch Assistant referee was beaten to death by three players during a youth game.
Do you know more about this Jules?

Jules
12-04-2012, 01:34 PM
I've read that a dutch Assistant referee was beaten to death by three players during a youth game.
Do you know more about this Jules?

Yeah, he was father of one of the opposing players, the teenagers on opposing team - known for starting trouble - attacked him. He collapsed after the game and passed away later in the hospital. Three suspects are in custody and are children of immigrants.

Cue a complete national shitshow of racist comments and people blaming everyone but our ailing and failing Dutch society.

H-Dreamer
12-04-2012, 04:22 PM
World is getting insane.

These days I watch them dismanteling the constitutional rigths for soccer fans here, makes you wonder when they will start to dismantel them for the rest of the populace too.

Jules
12-05-2012, 09:40 AM
World is getting insane.

These days I watch them dismanteling the constitutional rigths for soccer fans here, makes you wonder when they will start to dismantel them for the rest of the populace too.

I know. I have a friend who is banned from going to soccer games in any UEFA country (all of Europe) for two years, because an anonimous observer from the Dutch FA claims he saw him call an usher in the stadium "bad names". That usher, however, is a friend of his and despite his friend writing a letter that the claims are false, the FA is sticking to their guns and claiming the report is enough proof to ban him from going to the club.

Bizarre. UEFA and FIFA think they're fucking NATO or something.

H-Dreamer
12-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Gets worse here every day, as politicians see it as an easy way to get votes from casual fans and uninterested people who get fed the "soccer fans are evil"-crap by the media every day. So they increase pressure on the FA to increase security.

Nowadays they want tents at every stadium, where fans would have to strip nude for a search. That's totally insane.
even more insane are those people who say they would happily strip, cause they "have nothing to hide". I have nothing to hide, but fuck them if they think I strip for a fucking police officer at a football game.

They keep claiming violence is on the rise, while there are 2 injured persons per game and that includes 2nd Division games. 2 per game(!), when there are over 40.000 people visiting each game. In comparision to other similar big events thats ridiculously low. The statistics also don't track how many of those injured people were injured by the fans and how many by the police.

Also they do track how many people are charged for violence, but they don't track how many of them are actually found guilty.
Police is complaining every time someone says, that officers have to wear a name or number so they can't hide in anonymity.

I see all these things and can't help thinking "and so it begins, again".

Jules
12-07-2012, 09:34 PM
Fortuna Sittard with another away win. Firmly in a playoff spot, which is really all I wanted for this year.

Just 5 points behind first place though... :o

H-Dreamer
12-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Istanbul player hit by bottle and smoke bomb:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/dtotd-galatasaray-burak-yilmaz-hit-smoke-bomb-fans-175703033--sow.html

Too many idiots.

Giaco
01-06-2013, 02:02 PM
I swear Sepp Blatter is the biggest jackass ever.
http://www.football-italia.net/29136/blatter-boateng-wrong-run-away

G1000
01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
What's all this noise about Ronaldo leaving RM?

Jules
01-14-2013, 05:28 PM
What's all this noise about Ronaldo leaving RM?

He's been unhappy as of late, no one really knows why, so rumours are he wants to leave RM.

But where to go? There aren't many teams who can afford his salary.

Bluephoria
01-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Where have you been? He's had issues for a mont or two now and has been saying he wants to go back to Manchester United for like 2 weeks now.. Prob won't happen but he's made tons of comments about it.. Madrid reportedly want something like 200 mil for him so, yea...

High and Wide
01-21-2013, 06:08 AM
Sneijder to Galatasaray
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/20/internazionale-wesley-sneijder-galatasaray

Wesley Sneijder's protracted departure from Internazionale has ended with the Holland international signing for Galatasaray.

The 28-year-old has been in contract talks with the Turkish club since Inter accepted an £8m bid two weeks ago.

H-Dreamer
01-29-2013, 07:54 AM
Ajax fined for fans stating their opinion on modern soccer:
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4751426/Ajax-banner-fine.html

Ridiculous.

Ba Ba Bluey
01-30-2013, 05:01 PM
French Magazine Reports That Qatar Bribed Its Way To The 2022 World Cup

http://deadspin.com/5980241/french-magazine-reports-that-qatar-bribed-its-way-to-the-2022-world-cup#13595830600272&{"type":"iframeUpdated","height":1254}

Shocker.

This is not new; from the moment Qatar was named the 2022 World Cup hosts, allegations have been made that FIFA committee members had accepted millions of dollars in bribes to make it happen. Some of those executives were even banned or quit in disgrace! So it's not outside the realm of probability.

The latest claims come from this week's edition of respected magazine France Football, and they seem to imply UEFA head Michel Platini was pressured to switch his vote from the United States to Qatar.

The "evidence" is of the isn't that curious? sort rather than a hard paper trail. Platini, the magazine reports, attended a dinner with then-French President Nicolas Sarkozy, Qatar's crown prince, and a representative of French club Paris Saint-Germain. This "secret meeting" was held nine days before the World Cup vote. Here are the dots, which you're asked to connect: PSG, Sarkozy's favorite team, was sold to the Qatar Investment Authority, overseen by the crown prince. Platini's son was hired by the Qatar Investment Authority. Al Jazeera, owned by the Qatar royal family, launched a sports network that now owns broadcast rights to the French League and UEFA tournaments.

There is some actual evidence to back up France Football's general claims of bribery. An internal email from FIFA secretary-general Jerome Valcke saying that Qatar "bought the 2022 World Cup". A former employee on the Qatar bid says two African executives, including African Confederation President Issa Hayatou, were bought off in exchange for their votes. Former FIFA media chief Guido Tognoni says bribery was rampant.

Naturally, everyone involved denies the allegations. Said Platini:

"President Sarkozy would never have asked me to vote for Qatar 2022 because he knows that I'm my own man. I made my choice with complete independence following a simple logic... opening up countries who have never organised major sporting events."

2022 is nearly a decade away—we're seriously running the risk of scandal fatigue. And we haven't even involved Sepp Blatter or Russia yet.

Ole_20
01-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Becks is signing with PSG today...as long as Zlatan isn't a bitch about sharing the limelight, and understands just how much better Becks' service could make him, things should work out well

Jules
01-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Yeah, awesome to see Becks back in Europe like this.

Ole_20
01-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Yeah, awesome to see Becks back in Europe like this.

i agree...while it was nice to be able to see the Galaxy games when he was around in NY, it's nice to see his ambition is still there playing for a European club on the rise....

H-Dreamer
01-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Wait Becks still isn't retired? How old was he again?

Ole_20
01-31-2013, 11:17 AM
haha...he'll be 38 by season's end

NYRangers92
01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
is the French league actually competitive?

Ole_20
01-31-2013, 11:24 AM
is the French league actually competitive?

some decent teams in it...PSG is trying to build a team to dominate and compete in Europe, but they had been blindly spending money...now, they're TRYING to make deals that fit their needs, but they're still a bit away.....and clubs like Lyon and Marseille are so well-run that they don't need to, nor do they spend anywhere near as much money as PSG and they compete for the league every season....

some great talent comes through the French league...GREAT, but ultimately it just falls short of being a top league in the world....i'd say if you have to really rank it, it's probably the 5th best league in the world at the moment...

H-Dreamer
01-31-2013, 11:49 AM
PSG has shelled out money and soul like shit this season. It's totally insane and helps ruining many other teams, cause player prices get totally inflated.

Ole_20
01-31-2013, 12:14 PM
PSG has shelled out money and soul like shit this season. It's totally insane and helps ruining many other teams, cause player prices get totally inflated.

totally agree...it's absurd the amount they're paying for players....absurd.....

and Anzhi buying Willian today didn't help £34 million

Ba Ba Bluey
02-04-2013, 10:04 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/match-fixing-probe-found-380-103613303--sow.html

THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) -- A wide-ranging match-fixing investigation has uncovered more than 680 suspicious games - including World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and two Champions League games - and found evidence that a Singapore-based crime gang is closely involved in match-fixing, Europol said Monday.

The investigation by Europol, the European Union's joint police body, found 380 suspicious matches in Europe and another 300 questionable games outside the continent, mainly in Africa, Asia and South and Central America.

''This is a sad day for European (soccer),'' Rob Wainwright, the head of Europol, told a news conference. He said criminals were cashing in on soccer corruption ''on a scale and in a way that threatens the very fabric of the game.''

Europol said 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals from at least 15 countries were involved in fixing the European soccer games dating back to 2008. The agency declined to name specific suspects, teams or games so as not to disrupt ongoing national police investigations.

It was unclear exactly how many of 680 games mentioned were previously known to have been tainted, but the very public announcement shed light on the murky underworld of match-fixers, who bet on fixed games to reap enormous profits around the globe.

The probe uncovered (euro) 8 million ($10.9 million) in betting profits and (euro) 2 million ($2.7 million) in bribes to players and officials and has already led to several prosecutions.

Those numbers are far lower than many previous estimates of the amount of cash involved in match-fixing and betting on rigged matches, but prosecutors said the amounts they named were what they could directly pin down through 13,000 emails, paper trails, phone records and computer records.

''This is the tip of the iceberg,'' said German investigator Friedhelm Althans, who also said two World Cup qualification matches in Africa and one in Central America were among those under suspicion.

Wainwright said while many fixed soccer matches were already known from criminal trials in Europe, the Europol investigation that began in July 2011 lifted the lid on the widespread involvement of organized crime in rigging games.

''This is the first time we have established substantial evidence that organized crime is now operating in the world of football,'' he said. ''(That) highlights a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.''

He said a Singapore-based criminal network was involved in the match-fixing, spending up to (euro) 100,000 ($136,500) per match to bribe players and officials.

Again not shocked...

Jules
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
Trying to act surprised. Can't.

Too many players from too many countries on too many teams and with too much money.

H-Dreamer
02-04-2013, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I think we all could easily name games we thought to be possibly rigged because strange things happened or the ref was bad.
Still sad to see it's possibly true.

Bluephoria
03-21-2013, 05:40 AM
Pini Zahavi is in my office right now.

H-Dreamer
03-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Had to google him, but that Wikipedia entry makes him look like a jewish cliché used by fascists. lol

Bluephoria
03-21-2013, 12:00 PM
Haha.. He's one of the biggest agents in all of football!

H-Dreamer
03-21-2013, 12:10 PM
For players of tier1 type clubs maybe, I've never heard of him.

Jules
04-27-2013, 10:48 AM
FORTUNA SITTARD IS IN THE PLAYOFFS!

http://i.imgur.com/2B7XRGM.jpg

It's going to be a near impossible task to actually promote to the Eredivisie, but surviving the first round is within reach and chances are they'll play a rival from our province either way when they make it past that round. That's would be so fucking amazing if that happened.

For now, last night's win was the biggest game in over 10 years. They relegated back in 2002 and have not made a promotional playoff since. To finally be there after everything that has happened in that decade, is almost like a championship and two of our best players are probably leaving as free agents, but the amazing goaltender we've found and the three top scorers (about 25 goals and 20 assists between them) all have just signed extensions for next year.

I hope our biggest talents will stay, that the left-back we've developed gets kept aboard by a sponsor willing to pay up big cash to keep him, but if he doesn't, fuck him, we've survived all those journeymen and quitters and we are still here. Either you want to play for us, or you can get lost.

Anyway, proud day. Playoffs start in two weeks, one more regular season game left on Friday, which will determine who we play first and which bracket we'll be in.

High and Wide
04-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Congrats, mate!!! :cheers:

josh
04-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Linesman gets lifetime ban for attacking youth player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1G3bmOSSUHY

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/dtotd-linesman-gets-lifetime-ban-attacking-youth-player-164327986.html

Ba Ba Bluey
05-02-2013, 03:14 PM
http://deadspin.com/timbers-play-make-a-wish-game-kid-with-cancer-scores-w-486460940

An estimated 3,000 fans turned out at Jeld-Wen Field today to watch the Portland Timbers take on the Green Machine, an eight-year-old's soccer club scheduled to take on the MLS side by the Make-A-Wish foundation. Yes, the cancer patient scored the winning goal.

Atticus Lane-Dupre took the pitch against his favorite club, with MLS stars Darlington Nagbe, Jack Jewsbury, Will Johnson, and Mikael Silvestre getting the start against the grade schoolers. It was a competitive match, with the final goal being scored by Atticus himself to provide a 10-9 result. (He'd earn expected Man Of The Match honors, as well.)

https://vine.co/v/bQZEiHa9Hvm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9T88VGFee84

There's a better video in the article. This is just awesome. Good for young Atticus!

NYRangers92
05-02-2013, 06:53 PM
thanks for helping me point out my room is really really dusty.

Jules
05-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Championship for Dutch First Division is determined today, including playoff ranking. Fortuna can get 6th, which means they play team that got 9th, which would be great. Also, the championship is down to two teams, of which one has a two point lead and likely need a tie to win it. Goal differential (first tie-breaker) is much better for team now in lead.

Fortuna Sittard is playing MVV Maastricht... which is weird game for me. I'm from Maastricht, my whole family is, but no one is a soccer fan, except for my dad, but he's from the town Fortuna was originally from (they merged and moved with a team 10 miles away). So I was always a Fortuna fan, despite spending a lot of my time in the rivals town. Always lived in a burb in between Sittard and Maastricht, which are only 10 miles away from each other.

In hockey analogy: it's as if Rangers and Islanders merged, I was from New Jersey, but cheered for that merger team years later. LOL.

Ba Ba Bluey
05-03-2013, 03:49 PM
Where did AZ rank? How's Altidore doing?

Jules
05-03-2013, 03:52 PM
Where did AZ rank? How's Altidore doing?

AZ is middle of the pack in the Eredivisie (league above First Division) and Altidore is first American to score 30 in a European season. He's been incredible this year and AZ is anticipating he will be bought this summer.

Ba Ba Bluey
05-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Good to hear. I like Altidore, he's a jersey guy. But can't stand his on field demeanor. He just looks lazy

Jules
05-03-2013, 04:38 PM
He's been working hard this season. Very active with his back to the goal, laying off passes and finishing off a lot of chances.

H-Dreamer
05-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Referee in Utah died, after being punched in the head by a player (17)
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-soccer-referee-killed-20130506,0,1943075.story

so stupid.

Jules
05-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Fortuna Sittard fails to advance to second round of play-offs. A huge disappointment, as we miss out on back-to-back games against our top league archrival who we haven't played in 12 years. Oh well, still a great year.

Bluephoria
05-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Respect to Becks. Walked off his home pitch for the last time tonight.

Legend.

NYRangers92
06-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Falcao signed in Monaco? Did I read that right?

G1000
06-01-2013, 07:15 PM
Yep. Been in the works for a while now.

NYRangers92
06-01-2013, 07:55 PM
That's odd to say the least

Bluephoria
06-02-2013, 01:25 PM
Monaco buying up tons of stars now that they're back in the top flight.

Jules
06-02-2013, 04:09 PM
I can't wait for the US soccer fans to think they are actually good beating a German B-side. :o

High and Wide
06-02-2013, 04:13 PM
I can't wait for the US soccer fans to think they are actually good beating a German B-side. :o

SHADDUP!!! We beat a bunch of euro softies with hard american grit!

NYRangers92
06-02-2013, 05:04 PM
also thanks to probably the worst own goal since...the invention of the game?

!br-avery!
06-02-2013, 06:35 PM

a win over a European power is still a win regardless :p
Hopefully this gives them some confidence for next week

Ba Ba Bluey
06-03-2013, 10:41 AM

I love this crap talk because if the US loses, it's typical, but they win and it's because they played Germany's B-side.

The US should have just laid down and lost the game to big, bad, Germany...

NYRangers92
06-03-2013, 11:44 AM
Pretty sure that's not the point he was making

Ba Ba Bluey
06-03-2013, 01:50 PM
That the US team and their fans shouldn't think they're good now because they beat a German B team (Same German B-team that pissed on the #10 ranked team in the world a week earlier).

Jules
06-04-2013, 07:42 AM
I don't think you'll find many Europeans who follow the US soccer team and support and defend soccer in the US the way I do, but Twitter and Facebook were full off people actually suggesting that this game proved that the loss against Belgium was a fluke and that US soccer is capable of playing with the better European nations now. I don't believe that's quite true and I was just suggesting that I hope people are able to properly assess the value of this win. And yes, I said it a little mocking. Sorry 'bout that. Habit when talking soccer... ;)

I want it to do wonders for their confidence, because a World Cup without the US would be less fun and one of my fellow writers at a Dutch sports magazine is the US soccer watcher for Fox Soccer and it would be great for him to follow them to the World Cup in 2014.

It wasn't a jab at the team, although I can see how it came across that way, but I honestly wish the USMNT the very best over the next couple of months. If only because I root for the sport of soccer to become a lot bigger than it is now in the US.

Sidenote: the world ranking is a bit of a skewed system. Despite losing in the 2010 World Cup Final to Spain, The Netherlands was ranked #1 for a while, because they scored more goals against really weak opponents in the qualification round. At that time I could list at least three countries who would win a best-of-3 against that squad.

Ba Ba Bluey
06-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I don't think you'll find many Europeans who follow the US soccer team and support and defend soccer in the US the way I do, but Twitter and Facebook were full off people actually suggesting that this game proved that the loss against Belgium was a fluke and that US soccer is capable of playing with the better European nations now. I don't believe that's quite true and I was just suggesting that I hope people are able to properly assess the value of this win. And yes, I said it a little mocking. Sorry 'bout that. Habit when talking soccer... ;)

I want it to do wonders for their confidence, because a World Cup without the US would be less fun and one of my fellow writers at a Dutch sports magazine is the US soccer watcher for Fox Soccer and it would be great for him to follow them to the World Cup in 2014.

It wasn't a jab at the team, although I can see how it came across that way, but I honestly wish the USMNT the very best over the next couple of months. If only because I root for the sport of soccer to become a lot bigger than it is now in the US.

Sidenote: the world ranking is a bit of a skewed system. Despite losing in the 2010 World Cup Final to Spain, The Netherlands was ranked #1 for a while, because they scored more goals against really weak opponents in the qualification round. At that time I could list at least three countries who would win a best-of-3 against that squad.

It's all good, man. Im just used to defending them till Im blue in the face. But Im not ignorant about them. They are what they are.

If the Belgium game proved anything, it's that this team isn't ready to compete with the big boys. They got absolutely smoked, It was pretty embarrassing. Im glad they rebounded in convincing fashion.

Fifa rankings are complete shit. I only used it to help my arguement. ;) :D

H-Dreamer
06-04-2013, 09:14 AM
also thanks to probably the worst own goal since...the invention of the game?

Nah, I remember seeing footage from the 60s, where a Goalie wanted to throw the ball, made a turn of 180 degrees during the throw and therefore throwing the ball into his own net.

Jules
06-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Fifa rankings are complete shit. I only used it to help my arguement. ;) :D

Hahahahaha. Best sports debate confession ever. :rofl:

Ba Ba Bluey
06-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I couldnt defend the Fifa rankings with a straight face :cheers:

Dunny
06-04-2013, 02:40 PM
US is good. Really good. Definitely a top 20 side.

Jules
06-04-2013, 02:44 PM
US is good. Really good. Definitely a top 20 side.

So you are saying Klinnsmann is that bad?

Jules
06-08-2013, 05:54 PM
Fucking legendary stuff this week. A buddy of mine is a former pro soccer player who quit after injuries and his business picking up. Recently he joined a team of other young guys, who just play for fun, but who are all legitimate former talents from big league teams. So, they practice once a week, drink beer three times a week and now they've unexpectedly promoted to the "3rd Class League", which is 6th national level. Absolutely hysterical and everyone in their league is soooo mad right now. :rofl:

H-Dreamer
06-08-2013, 06:31 PM
So you are saying Klinnsmann is that bad?

Well he is, not a real coach imo.
when he was Bayern-coach he wanted to sell Thomas Muller, cause he though he wouldn't be that good. :rofl:

Bluephoria
06-08-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm going to Germany v Spain U21 tomorrow. :)

Jules
06-08-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm going to Germany v Spain U21 tomorrow. :)

Have a great time, man. Should be a lot of fun.

Bluephoria
06-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Avram Grant is coming to my office tomorrow. :)

I am Scags
06-11-2013, 10:50 PM
1-0 USA

Jules
06-11-2013, 10:52 PM
Jozy! I love Jozy!

I am Scags
06-11-2013, 11:36 PM
2-0!

I am Scags
06-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Wow go Seattle!! Those fans are giving it a Euro feel!

NYRangers92
06-11-2013, 11:51 PM
I know it probably wont happen or even if its a thing in the US but Seattle should be the USMNT's national stadium of sorts. The fans there combined with the awesome acoustics of that stadium would make it an incredibly tough place for opponents

I am Scags
06-12-2013, 01:03 AM
I know it probably wont happen or even if its a thing in the US but Seattle should be the USMNT's national stadium of sorts. The fans there combined with the awesome acoustics of that stadium would make it an incredibly tough place for opponents

Yea that would be cool, not sure if there is one. I know this, if the World Cup ever comes back to US again, CenturyLink Field and Seattle will definitely be one of the cities to host a few game. The final would probably be in Pasadena again, but Seattle should definitely be a semifinal venue.

Off topic a bit but
If a WC was to ever come back to the US here are the cities and venues I would choose to host games.

MetLife Stadium - NY/NJ
Cowboys Stadium - Dallas
Soldier Field - Chicago
CenturyLink Field - Seattle
Gillette Stadium - Boston/New England
FedEx Field - Washington D.C
Sunlife Stadium (or new venue) - Miami/South Florida
University of Phoenix Stadium - Glendale
Rose Bowl - Pasadena

Maybes..
Lincoln Financial - Philadelphia
Reliant Stadium - Houston

Jules
06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
The 2022 FIFA World Cup bid for the USA had already selected venues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Candidate_ve nues) to compete for the 8-10 positions. They rejected quite a few, including Ford Field and Soldier Field, but here's the list that made it:

Rose Bowl, LA Memorial Coliseum, Cottow Bowl, Fedex Field, Cowboys Stadium, MetLife Stadium, Sun Life Stadium, Reliant Stadium, Arrowhead, Mile High, Raymond James Stadium, Gillette Stadium, Husky Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium, Georgia Dome, M&T Bank Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, LP Field, CenturyLink Field, Qualcomm Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium.

So pick your 8-10 from that.

Ba Ba Bluey
06-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Jozy! I love Jozy!

He has been amazing as of late. Looks like you dutch bastards finally smacked some sense into him. :D

Jules
06-12-2013, 08:44 AM
He has been amazing as of late. Looks like you dutch bastards finally smacked some sense into him. :D

His coach Gertjan Verbeek is the Dutch soccer version of John Tortorella. A relentless, hard-nosed, hard work coach who is at a constant war with the media. I'm not sure if he'll stay in the Eredivisie with AZ Alkmaar for next year. I hope so, he's been a pleasure to watch and is an addition to the talent level of our league.

I am Scags
06-12-2013, 11:46 AM
The 2022 FIFA World Cup bid for the USA had already selected venues (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_2022_FIFA_World_Cup_bid#Candidate_ve nues) to compete for the 8-10 positions. They rejected quite a few, including Ford Field and Soldier Field, but here's the list that made it:

Rose Bowl, LA Memorial Coliseum, Cottow Bowl, Fedex Field, Cowboys Stadium, MetLife Stadium, Sun Life Stadium, Reliant Stadium, Arrowhead, Mile High, Raymond James Stadium, Gillette Stadium, Husky Stadium, University of Phoenix Stadium, Georgia Dome, M&T Bank Stadium, Lincoln Financial Field, LP Field, CenturyLink Field, Qualcomm Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium.

So pick your 8-10 from that.

Rose Bowl: Yes. Quintesential American stadium that holds 92,000 plus and is minutes from downtown LA. Would have the final there again as well.
LA Coliseum: No. Also a large venue that hosted the 84 Olympics, but I'll take the Rose Bowl.
Cotton Bowl: No. Don't need it when you have a better more modern Cowboys Stadium minutes away.
FedEx field: Yes. Large capacity stadium that represents the Capital of the US. RFK is closer but too outdated IMO.
Cowboys Stadium: Yes. Super large modern facility that would host well and fills the void of the South/Southwest
MetLife Stadium: Yes. Can't host a world cup and not have it in the nations largest city.
Sun Life Stadium: Yes. Needs some upgrades, but Miami is a sort of international Mecca of sorts and would be a good draw.
Reliant: Maybe, and only if Cowboys stadium was not available.
Arrowhead: No. KC is a good MLS host, but I'm not crazy about that facility when newer nicer ones are available.
Mile High: Maybe. Not sure though if FIFA would like it at such a high elevation.
Raymond James: Maybe. Has hosted multiple super bowls and is adequate, not sure if I'm crazy about Tampa though.
Gillette Stadium: Yes. Nice facility and sits in the heart of one of the nations most densly populated regions.
Husky Stadium: No, they have CenturyLink.
University of Phoenix: Yes. Nice new modern retractable roof venue that is in Americas last true boom city.
Georgia Dome: Maybe. is the heart of the South, just not all that crazy about the facility, which is spacious and big, but lacks zero charm.
M&T Stadium: Maybe, but FedEx is closer to DC than Baltimore
Lincoln Financial: Maybe. Nice new facility and major Northeast/MidAtlantic city so it would be a choice if others fell through.
LP Field: No, Also nice venue, not crazy about the international FIFA world cup being played in Tennessee though.
CenturyLink Field: Rousing yes. Those fans earned the city to host, and the venue is one of the loudest in all sports.
QualComm Stadium: Maybe. Venue is older but still a nice city, and if Mexico was to ever play a game there, it would be an electric atmosphere.
Lucas Oil Stadium: Maybe. Nice new retractable venue.

I'm surprised that they would shoot down Soldier Field and Chicago right out of the gate. Chicago is the nations 3rd largest city, and the facility is modern and was just redone about 10 years ago. I understand why they would nix Detroit, but that local economy could also use a boost from hosting a few WC games again.

NYRangers92
06-12-2013, 11:56 AM
is the final game usually held in the capital of the country? Cant remember if 2010 was in Pretoria or not. Would suck if the final would have to be at FedEx Field because from what I hear from my Redskin fans friends is that the stadium is a dump

Jules
06-12-2013, 12:40 PM
is the final game usually held in the capital of the country? Cant remember if 2010 was in Pretoria or not. Would suck if the final would have to be at FedEx Field because from what I hear from my Redskin fans friends is that the stadium is a dump

No, final in 2010 was in Johannesburg at the Soccer City stadium.

Blue Heaven
06-12-2013, 12:48 PM

the last time the World Cup was in the U.S. (1994) the Final was at the Rose Bowl

Blue Heaven
06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Mile High: Maybe. Not sure though if FIFA would like it at such a high elevation.

Why not? Mexico hosted a World Cup

I am Scags
06-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Why not? Mexico hosted a World Cup

Yes you're right.

H-Dreamer
06-18-2013, 06:51 PM
Seems like protests in Brazil are rising. People being pissed about what is being done for the WC next year. sounds like South Africa all over again, maybe FIFA should stick to countries that already have the stadiums for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZApBgNQgKPU

Ba Ba Bluey
07-01-2013, 09:05 AM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18sfx1uv7kt4ogif/k-medium.gif

:rofl:

Keirik
07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Neymar Jr is a great talent but he was a diving little bitch all tournament.

H-Dreamer
07-05-2013, 10:38 AM
UEFAs newest idea for a money grab: A Champions League like tournament for youth squads (U-19).
This year will mark the first time it's played, qualified are those clubs which are qualified for the adult version.

Stupid idea, not only doesn't a good team always have a good youth squad, also those kids already spent too much time on the pitch. They need time for school too, they can't be touring through Europe 2 days a week.

Bluephoria
07-06-2013, 10:41 AM
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/south-american-football-referee-beheaded-fans-killing-player-084120459.html

A referee in Brazil was beheaded by spectators after stabbing a player. What. The. Fuck.

Jules
07-06-2013, 10:47 AM
Hey, but everybody there has convinced the world that Brazil is such a great place to have the World Cup and the Olympics. /cough

torontonyr
07-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Hey, but everybody there has convinced the world that Brazil is such a great place to have the World Cup and the Olympics. /cough

Its kind of difficult to say how true the "facts" she presents truly are.

The houses that are marked? Condemned and non habitable.
The Natives? - given a choice to relocate - refuted and held their ground (which is very much so their right).

As for spending, and return on investment.

If you have ever traveled brasil - you would know there is a thick line between rich and poor - same goes with tourism.
Hotels don't vary in quality ,its night and day.

To bring in a massive overhaul to the countries most important economic sector (tourism) - with the speed of improvement they would need to sustain the industry requires a huge catalyst.

It wont just be "the ice cream vendor" who benefits.

Hotels will need cleaners, cooks, laundry ,etc
Restaurants will be flushed with tourists.
Construction workers will have endless amounts of projects.

The list goes on.

She has a point however about it being a temporary stimulation.
There is a chance (especially based on South Africa / Koreas failed tourism stimulation post world cup) this may not sustain itself.

I would argue however that Brasil by nature is a much different beast.

South Africa & Korea were never hotbeds for international tourism to begin with.
Brasil in and of itself is a economy based largely on tourism and football.

Two things that needed a overhaul anyways, better to put the money in today, yield a return (if not temporary) and hope for the best, than to let it fade and decay.

Jules
07-06-2013, 11:43 AM
Brazil deserves the opportunity, but the timeframe given was too short and the problems (safety, poverty, drug war, infrastructure) are extremely difficult to tackle. I have a friend who works as a sports and news journalist in Rio de Janeiro and his stories really are a back and forth between sadness and hope. I am not necessarily against having these events in Brazil, but I believe the time chosen to do it was ill-informed.

There are soccer teams who travel the country with armed guards out of fear of being kidnapped for ransom by cartels. I don't feel any excitement thinking about the fact that western sports teams will suffer same nervous travel arrangements for WC and Olympics.

H-Dreamer
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
...wtf did I just read.

Reality, harsher than fiction since ever.

Jules
07-07-2013, 06:04 PM
This is great.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/X9Pc1vf_tlg

NYRangers92
07-10-2013, 10:39 PM
for Jules, from a PSV Eindhoven friendly the other day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=fzorpNlYpng

cousin
07-15-2013, 10:59 PM
I think Chris Berman is washed up. I liked him 10 years ago.

Blue Heaven
07-16-2013, 08:20 AM
I think Chris Berman is washed up. I liked him 10 years ago.

Chris Berman was washed up 10 years ago!

cousin
07-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Chris Berman was washed up 10 years ago!:rofl:

H-Dreamer
07-19-2013, 03:23 PM
FIFA wants to play the 2022 World Cup during winter....
...brilliant idea, why not, except for Russia and a few other all leagues have to take a huge break mid-season, but who cares? :rolleyes:

Blue Heaven
07-25-2013, 10:30 AM
9 days till the Cosmos return to the NASL.

NYRangers92
07-25-2013, 10:53 AM
...brilliant idea, why not, except for Russia and a few other all leagues have to take a huge break mid-season, but who cares? :rolleyes:

i hope it happens and all countries boycott and force fifa to move it to a country that deserves it haha

H-Dreamer
07-28-2013, 03:40 PM
There is an EURO for Women too, this time in Sweden and for the sixth time in a row Germany won the tournament. (8 of 11 possible titles won by Germany)
Not much of a competition, World Cup is better.

Jules
07-28-2013, 09:00 PM

Yeah, Russia and some of the Scandinavian leagues are only exceptions. Qatar was a terrible idea in the first place and this is just rubbing in the stain.

Jules
08-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Really exciting start to the season for Fortuna Sittard, as they beat a legitimate championship contender with 2-0 at home. It was a really hot night (over 90F degrees) and the coach has specifically trained on endurance in pre-season, so they consolidated the tie in the first half (0-0 at HT) and then when the opponent became more tired as the game progressed they started pushing up more and scored two goals in the last twenty minutes.

It makes Fortuna the first table leader of the season. Always a good start. :)

ThirtyONE
08-03-2013, 11:46 PM
My boys QPR got off on the right foot today with a 2-1 victory over Shef. Wed. Promotion or bust. They can't survive more than one season in the Championship without going broke.

Respecttheblue
08-04-2013, 09:04 AM
My boys QPR got off on the right foot today with a 2-1 victory over Shef. Wed. Promotion or bust. They can't survive more than one season in the Championship without going broke.

Good for QPR (I lived not too far from them once, and a few other London sides), but there's planty of company when it comes to financial issues these days. Who knows maybe one day more teams will follow the new Portsmouth FC model? Hey Islanders ...

My Pompey boys recently became a fan-owned team after years of turmoil and revolving door ownership, with fans unexpectedly winning with a bid approved by creditors.

But it was not without pain.

The Football League has confirmed that Portsmouth Football Club’s 10-point deduction will take immediate effect.

A statement on the Football League’s website said:

The Board of The Football League has agreed to transfer Portsmouth's share in The Football League to a consortium brought together by the Pompey Supporters' Trust, bringing an end to the club's period in Administration.

Due to the Club's Company Voluntary Arrangement not being fully compliant with The Football League's Insolvency Policy, the Board has applied the following conditions of membership – as originally outlined in July 2012.

1. A deduction of 10 points to apply in the 2012/13 season (in addition to the 10 points applied for entering Administration in the 2011/12 season).

2. Restrictions on playing budgets, future borrowing and loan repayments for the next five seasons.

Football League Chairman, Greg Clarke, said: "I would like to welcome the Pompey Supporters' Trust to The Football League and pay tribute to their efforts to save their club. They have galvanised the Club's fans and the City of Portsmouth behind their cause and ensured that it continues to have a professional football club.

"However, the hard work is only just beginning and we will continue working with the new owners to help them establish a sustainable future for Portsmouth Football Club, so that it can put its long running financial troubles behind it for good.

Here's a heart-warming anecdote of the fans' latest activity

After one of the most turbulent seasons in their history, fans of Portsmouth have provided the club with a much-needed boost - winning £30,000 for the club via the Fanpower Stadium competition, which was run by The Football League title sponsors npower.

Following consultation with the club and The Football League, it can now be confirmed that the fans' dedication will be rewarded directly, with the prize fund being used to lower season ticket prices for next season.

Hosted on Facebook, the competition rewarded the set of fans that "made the most noise" with £20,000 for their club. This was determined by measuring the amount of mentions supporters had generated for their football club on Facebook and Twitter.

The noise could only be measured when an individual had "taken a seat" in the virtual Fanpower Stadium meaning £10,000 was also awarded to the club whose fans participated the most as a percentage of their average attendance.

The south-coast side ran away with the full £30,000, with their loyal fans signing up in droves

And another 30,000 quid comes in from new partner OneCom:

Pompey have rung the changes in a deal with a mobile phone provider that will see tens of thousands of pounds poured into the club.

Whiteley-based telecommunications firm OneCom has signed up for partner status which will see £30,000 invested in Pompey.

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/pompey-partner-with-onecom-965081.aspx#isb1sxggho1JZzYI.99

http://www.h2omen.com/other_sports/PompeyFans-Ours.jpg

Ba Ba Bluey
08-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Actual life in the minor leagues means moving back in with your parents or living in a house with more than a few teammates, working another job, taking on some coaching responsibilities, and not spending your money. Most pro athletes engage in a high-intensity, two- to three-hour workout and have the rest of the day to recover. Then they wake up and do it again. I did the three-hour workout—and then went to my desk job at noon, attempted to switch gears to normal work, then headed out at 6 p.m. to coach youth soccer. It’s asking a lot to reach optimal performance when you do this every day. For many players at that level, this is life. And if you get married and have to support a family, it’s basically time to retire.

Then there’s the off-season, when your contract doesn’t pay. Most guys coach. At the same time, if you want to move up to the next level, you need to put in the off-season work (hashtag “grind”). In the lower leagues, your season starts in April and is over in September or October. In MLS however, the season begins in January and continues until the end November. Players in the minor leagues are perpetually three months behind in development just based on this wrinkle. (Plus, everything else I’ve already mentioned.) If you aren’t doing something in that time, you’re falling behind. But, the options are limited. Playing with teenagers isn’t really helping you. You likely don’t live in a city with a healthy population of other pro soccer players (remember, you’ve moved back in with your parents). Instead, I played on my college roommate’s co-ed adult league team as a field player (I’m a goalkeeper) and played 6 a.m. pre-work pick up with my CEO’s middle-aged buddies. You can’t find MLS-level quality, so you do what you can. That was development for me.

Whole thing can be found here:
http://www.psmag.com/business-economics/my-economics-of-being-a-regular-professional-athlete-63770/

Interesting read.

Jules
08-07-2013, 09:10 AM
This is the life of so many people outside the popular sports world. Hockey fans often see the AHL is a step down, but the income of many AHL players is a dream pay for most athletes, especially those in a sport that only get good TV ratings at the Olympics. I mean, I see it everyday, because my fiancee has to work a job outside of her full-time sports career, despite being around a top 100 athlete in her sport worldwide. The drop-off in the financial value of being an elite level athlete in a smaller sport is enormous.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-09-2013, 08:42 AM
http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html#

1. Spain
2. Germany
3. Colombia
4. Argentina
5. Netherlands
6. Italy
7. Portugal
8. Croatia
9. Brazil
10. Belgium
11. Greece
12. Uruguay
13. Bosnia-Herzegovina
14. England
15. Switzerland
16. Russia
17. Ecuador
18. Ivory Coast
19. USA
20. Mexico

US cracks the top 20 in the Fifa rankings for the first time in a few years. For those that don't follow the sport, these Fifa rankings don't really mean shit and are always questioned. That being said it's hard to look at the teams higher than 20 and argue that the US doesn't deserve it right now.

Jules
08-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Colombia, Greece, The Netherlands? What are they doing there. How The Netherlands is currently ranked over Brazil, England en maybe even Belgium shows how skewed this list usually is. The Dutch team is in absolute shambles, hasn't beaten a meaningful opponent in a meaningful game in forever and they are fifth? Laughable.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Colombia, Greece, The Netherlands? What are they doing there. How The Netherlands is currently ranked over Brazil, England en maybe even Belgium shows how skewed this list usually is. The Dutch team is in absolute shambles, hasn't beaten a meaningful opponent in a meaningful game in forever and they are fifth? Laughable.

They've been pretty high on the rankings ever since their WC final appearance, right?

Jules
08-09-2013, 09:26 AM
They've been pretty high on the rankings ever since their WC final appearance, right?

Because their qualifying was tougher, they were actually number one for a while, despite Spain taking all three recent tournaments.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-09-2013, 09:35 AM
There really is no rhyme or reason behind them..

Jules
08-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Fortuna with another strong showing in second game. After beating a clear title favorite at home last week, they now played 0-0 away against another good opponent. 4 out of 6 possible points to open the year. There have been seasons where acquiring 4 points took them seven games.

NYRangers92
08-14-2013, 02:43 PM
USA-Bosnia/Herzegovina on ESPN2 starting now

fletch
08-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Arsenal needs to make an impact signing.

G1000
08-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Understatement of the century. Seriously, we're just missing everyone. The new rumor is that we're going to try to pry Michu from Swansea or Dzeko out of City.

fletch
08-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Understatement of the century. Seriously, we're just missing everyone. The new rumor is that we're going to try to pry Michu from Swansea or Dzeko out of City.

Do they make a trophy for Financial Fair Play?

NYRangers92
08-14-2013, 03:33 PM

if Dzeko keeps playing the way he is in a friendly against the US right now then Pellegrini will have to be on crack to let him go. Hes far and away the best player on either team in this match,

NYRangers92
08-14-2013, 04:39 PM
What a second half for the US against Bosnia, capped off by this Jozy free kick golazo
http://i.imgur.com/AXOuCdr.gif

fletch
08-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I'd be excited to get either Michu or Dzeko, although I wish Michu had a slightly longer track record. I was not thrilled about the talk of Suarez - implosion waiting to happen.

Hard to see City let Dzeko get away.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-15-2013, 08:35 AM
What a second half for the US against Bosnia, capped off by this Jozy free kick golazo
http://i.imgur.com/AXOuCdr.gif

Beauty.

NYRangers92
08-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Barca off to a slow start, only scoring four times in the first 30 minutes

Jules
08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
Barca off to a slow start, only scoring four times in the first 30 minutes

Up 7-0 barely into the second half.

NYRangers92
08-18-2013, 02:32 PM
6-0 barca and they sub in Neymar

Bluephoria
08-18-2013, 03:10 PM
La Liga is shite... there's no excitement because outside Madrid and Barca no other teams stand a chance because they're so bad.

NYRangers92
08-18-2013, 03:22 PM
How the hell did atletico win copa Del rey ? All falcao?

Jules
08-18-2013, 03:39 PM
How the hell did atletico win copa Del rey ? All falcao?

Teams don't prioritize the national Cup tournaments. They play their "B squad" for the most parts, giving some playing time to younger players or bench players. Occasionally it means they stumble early or just don't care at all. It's pretty common for mid-table teams to win the Cup.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Defending Polish league champs Legia Warsaw react to UEFA sanctions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=j8hCgEavLJo

Awesome.

Jules
08-28-2013, 10:20 AM
The response (as in, the tifo action) is awesome, but the blatant racism they were punished for is not. Eastern European soccer leagues are riddled with right wing violence and racism.

There are teams afraid to sign black players, because of backlash from the fans. Morons.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-28-2013, 11:40 AM
The response (as in, the tifo action) is awesome, but the blatant racism they were punished for is not. Eastern European soccer leagues are riddled with right wing violence and racism.

There are teams afraid to sign black players, because of backlash from the fans. Morons.

That's all that I was referring to. Racism in soccer is beyond dispicable.

torontonyr
08-29-2013, 01:18 AM

Not that bad anymore TBH.

Both Dynamo & Shakhtar have large amounts of non-ukrainian ethnic players.

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
08-29-2013, 09:22 AM
Flamini officially back at Arsenal. another free transfer. decent addition if, and only if they bolster their lineup with an actual transfer. Benzema would be a good addition.

NYRangers92
08-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Racism doesn't just up and disappear when non white players are on the team though. Ac Milan still has racist fans even though their top player is black

fletch
08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Flamini officially back at Arsenal. another free transfer. decent addition if, and only if they bolster their lineup with an actual transfer. Benzema would be a good addition.

Nice pick up.... now find a striker please!

Ba Ba Bluey
08-29-2013, 11:36 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NH1g71X3tbE

I wonder what was said....

Morphinity
08-29-2013, 11:42 AM
He said something about his mother who had just died.

He was actually kicked off the team for leaving the field.

Jules
08-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Kicked off the team? WTF.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Oh wow..

NYRangers92
08-29-2013, 12:59 PM
Champions League Draw:
A:
Manchester United
Shakhtar Donetsk
Bayer Leverkusen
Real Sociedad

B:
Real Madrid
Juventus
Galatasaray
Copenhagen

C:
Benfica
PSG
Olympiacos
Anderlecht

D:
Bayern Munich
CSKA Moscow
Manchester City
Plzen

E:
Chelsea
Schalke
Basel
Steaua Bucuresti

F:
Arsenal
Marseilla
Borussia Dortmund
Napoli

G:
Porto
Atletico Madrid
Zenit St. Petersberg
Austria Wien

H:
Barcelona
AC Milan
Ajax
Celtic

Jules
08-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Ajax and Arsenal draw two really tough groups, while United and Chelsea get easy peasy ones. Figures.

fletch
08-29-2013, 01:16 PM
Champions League Draw:
A:
Manchester United
Shakhtar Donetsk
Bayer Leverkusen
Real Sociedad

B:
Real Madrid
Juventus
Galatasaray
Copenhagen

C:
Benfica
PSG
Olympiacos
Anderlecht

D:
Bayern Munich
CSKA Moscow
Manchester City
Plzen

E:
Chelsea
Schalke
Basel
Steaua Bucuresti

F:
Arsenal
Marseilla
Borussia Dortmund
Napoli

G:
Porto
Atletico Madrid
Zenit St. Petersberg
Austria Wien

H:
Barcelona
AC Milan
Ajax
Celtic

Group C is a pillowfight... Groups F and H are tough... lots of criticisms of the ranking system, but any system that has runnersup Dortmund in pot 3 is ridiculous.

G1000
08-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Fucking hell, just give United and Chelsea a fucking bye and let the other teams in the group fight for 2nd place.

Arsenal's group can be looked at as a GoD for sure - but I think Marseilles are a much weaker side that people think they are. Arsenal and Napoli are likely on par - Napoli have the stronger attack, but Arsenal have the better midfield.

Dortmund should steamroll this group, to be honest.

Jules
08-29-2013, 01:38 PM
I just remembered who Napoli signed as a striker... Higuain. :D

Jules
08-29-2013, 02:24 PM
A fire has broken out in the AZ Alkmaar stadium during their Europa League game. In the 59th minute the game has been postponed and they are evacuating the stadium rapidly. Fire is apparently getting worse and firefighters haven't reached it yet. Power is out, because apparently it's in the stadium control room.

Bizarre scenes, really.

fletch
08-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Fucking hell, just give United and Chelsea a fucking bye and let the other teams in the group fight for 2nd place.

Arsenal's group can be looked at as a GoD for sure - but I think Marseilles are a much weaker side that people think they are. Arsenal and Napoli are likely on par - Napoli have the stronger attack, but Arsenal have the better midfield.

Dortmund should steamroll this group, to be honest.

Shakhtar Donetsk is a clear second to me in Man U's group, and could give them a tough time, especially at Donetsk.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-29-2013, 02:57 PM
A fire has broken out in the AZ Alkmaar stadium during their Europa League game. In the 59th minute the game has been postponed and they are evacuating the stadium rapidly. Fire is apparently getting worse and firefighters haven't reached it yet. Power is out, because apparently it's in the stadium control room.

Bizarre scenes, really.

That's crazy

NYRangers92
08-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Shakhtar Donetsk is a clear second to me in Man U's group, and could give them a tough time, especially at Donetsk.

Shakhtar is very tough. Saw them in person at Chelsea last year and was surprised at how fast they were. They lost Willian to chelsea but they should still be good

Jules
08-29-2013, 03:39 PM
That's crazy

The fire is out, but rules say games postponed for more than 30 minutes are cancelled for the night.

Even crazier is the solution: they will finish the game at 11AM tomorrow morning without fans and at either the stadium or the training complex, kicking off in the 59th minute with the current score and players on the field (AZ was red carded early). A unique solution, but hey, beats losing on UEFA rules.

AZ is down 0-1 in the game, but won the away match 1-3, so Atromitos need two more goals.

Ba Ba Bluey
08-29-2013, 04:17 PM
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18yj867xai1tgpng/ku-xlarge.png

H-Dreamer
09-02-2013, 11:37 AM
Danish FC Kobenhavs wants perfect security for their international games. solution:
People who have a name that doesn't sound danish, aren't allowed to buy a ticket outside the away-sector.

Brilliant, because there are totally no former immigrants that could possibly be fans of FC Kobenhavn. :rolleyes:

CCCP
09-02-2013, 04:49 PM
One step closer to fascism.

Jules
09-02-2013, 05:23 PM
Fortuna had ridiculous bad luck with injuries lately, so they lost two more D-men this week. Three of the four defensemen were youth players tonight... and they won 3-1 against an outright title contender.

I love when soccer is ridiculously surprising.

fletch
09-10-2013, 09:06 AM
Big one tonight: US-Mexico, with Mexico really needing wins to qualify for WC. Although I could see US losing to Mexico, beating Jamaica, beating/tieing Panama, and qualifying, sure would be nice to see a US result tonight.

Ba Ba Bluey
09-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Jurgen has to earn his paycheck here...No Bradley or Altidore. Their midfield and D is fucked at this point.

Blue Heaven
09-11-2013, 08:44 AM
wow kinda surprised here that there is no talk about the USA-Mexico game last night and that the U.S. qualified for the World Cup

fletch
09-11-2013, 01:15 PM
wow kinda surprised here that there is no talk about the USA-Mexico game last night and that the U.S. qualified for the World Cup

Was shocked by the result and how feeble Mexico played - but thrilled USA and Costa Rica qualified. Also Italy, Netherlands, and Argentina - good group to go in.

I am Scags
09-11-2013, 01:56 PM
That's the group were in?!

That's a pretty tough group though. Argentina and Italy are always two of the top teams in the world and the Netherlands was runner up in South Africa.

fletch
09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
That's the group were in?!

That's a pretty tough group though. Argentina and Italy are always two of the top teams in the world and the Netherlands was runner up in South Africa.

Sorry.... the group I was referring to are teams that all qualified on the same day (US, Costa Rica, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina). Different confederations/qualifying routes.

I am Scags
09-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Sorry.... the group I was referring to are teams that all qualified on the same day (US, Costa Rica, Italy, Netherlands, Argentina). Different confederations/qualifying routes.

Oh okay. thanks

Ba Ba Bluey
09-12-2013, 08:59 AM

Whenever I bring it up nobody ever really responds...

H-Dreamer
09-20-2013, 07:21 AM
The ugly german, Juergen Klopp during Borussia Dortmunds CL loss this week:
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/809704033.gif?1379532755

:rofl:

BlairBettsBlocksEverything
10-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Totally forgot Arsenal played Napoli today. Thought that was tomorrow. I didnt wear my arsenal scarf to work. bad sign lol

NYRangers92
10-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Torres done after 11 minutes due to injury.

Arsenal up 2-0

Blue Heaven
10-01-2013, 03:03 PM
a friend of mine won a trip through the NYCFC Twitter contest to go to the Man City - Bayern Munich match tomorrow.

NYRangers92
10-01-2013, 03:11 PM
is he going? thats an awesome contest I wish I knew about haha

NYRangers92
10-01-2013, 03:30 PM
lmao Bucuresti's defense derped and Chelsea had a 2 on 0 and somehow it ended up being an own goal off the rushing back defender who nearly broke the net

Jules
10-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Arsenal is on course to win 10 games in a row. Özil is magic.

G1000
10-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Ozil is a freak. He's SO FUCKING GOOD

fletch
10-02-2013, 06:16 AM
Arsenal is on course to win 10 games in a row. Özil is magic.

Ozil is a freak. He's SO FUCKING GOOD

Cautiously starting to believe. This team attacks with ferocity and creativity. If Arsenal keeps scoring 2-3 goals a game, defensive holes less apparent since clean sheets aren't always necessary. Waiting to see what standings look like Jan 1.

Cash or Czech?
10-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Manchester City loses badly to Bayern in Champs League, and ManU give up a second half goal and drop two points.

Jules
10-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Cautiously starting to believe. This team attacks with ferocity and creativity. If Arsenal keeps scoring 2-3 goals a game, defensive holes less apparent since clean sheets aren't always necessary. Waiting to see what standings look like Jan 1.

What impresses is that they don't panic. Down 1-0? Stay the course. 0-0 after 60 minutes? Stay the course. So far, doing so has led the great results roll in. Wenger and the team know they don't need many moments to make the difference and the team is good enough to not rely on the youth, but to develop them.

What a difference an Özil makes.

G1000
10-02-2013, 05:45 PM
The craziest thing about Arsenal is that they're one game away from getting to the international break and bringing back Cazorla, Walcott, Ox and Poldi.

Cash or Czech?
10-02-2013, 05:46 PM
I thought Ox and Poldi were out til mid-November?

G1000
10-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Ox may be a bit behind the other three.

NYRangers92
10-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Holy shit whoever wrote this article back in 2002 should win some award
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWd1vmJIAAESZmK.jpg:large

G1000
10-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Jesus. Those kids were like....12 back then.

NYRangers92
10-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Seriously. If I could read dutch I would subscribe to that magazine

CCCP
10-15-2013, 05:37 PM
How boring is barca? Edpecially without Messi its a fucking snoozefest. Im starting to hate them.

H-Dreamer
10-16-2013, 10:43 AM
Platini has some "brilliant" new plans to make things more exciting (aka get more $$$):
A League for all european national teams, with different Divisions is to replace friendlys and other games. So kinda a Champions League for national teams.
Also he wants to issue "Wild Cards" for 4 non-european teams to participate in EURO 2020....., so European Champion Brasil possible. Brilliant. :rolleyes:

Of course this is only planning stage, but still....who needs this shit?

CCCP
10-16-2013, 04:20 PM
He's taking it from the US and what they did with european club friendlies here in the summer. Might not be a bad idea, adds little more excitement to friendlies. I, for one, never liked nor watched any friendlies. Whats the point?

H-Dreamer
10-17-2013, 05:07 AM
I would be happy to get rid of those friendlys, just don't add another dumb tournament and don't invite non-europeans to the EURO. There already is a tournament for Europe to compete with those other continents, it's called the "World Cup".

CCCP
10-18-2013, 12:01 AM
Holy shit whoever wrote this article back in 2002 should win some award
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWd1vmJIAAESZmK.jpg:large

i dont know any of those names

NYRangers92
10-18-2013, 01:15 AM
everyone on that page is currently on the Belgian national team, and 8 of them are in the EPL

Bluephoria
10-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Two Spurs fans arrested for throwing a smoke bomb/flare onto the field which hit the linesman in the back of the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwJPTvaoVLA

Jules
10-20-2013, 04:23 PM
i dont know any of those names

Arguable the best goalie, most talented and best striker in the Premier League today are on that page. At age 12.

It's really awesome.

NYRangers92
10-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Zlatan is not a human being. The goals he scores just shouldnt be possible.

Jules
10-23-2013, 05:25 PM
Zlatan is not a human being. The goals he scores just shouldnt be possible.

I hope he rips Portugal a new one in that World Cup play-off matchup.

NYRangers92
10-23-2013, 05:27 PM
its really shitty that we wont get to see both Ronaldo and Zlatan in Brazil. I hope Sweden wins too, though

when is that game?

Jules
10-23-2013, 05:31 PM
November 15th and 19th, if I read the schedule correctly. Portugal hosts first.

It'll suck not to see one of them, but fuck Ronaldo and fuck Portugal. They've taken out The Netherlands too often and they dive like penguins. Heja Sverige!

NYRangers92
10-23-2013, 05:34 PM
yeah im not a fan of the way they play. Plus Sweden probably wont go too far so it helps other teams haha

H-Dreamer
10-25-2013, 07:22 AM
Vidal with one of the most ridiculous dives I've seen in recent years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xrBGAF17qM

Bluephoria
10-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Haha.. my companies text chat group blew up after that.. so funny.

In other news...Through my companies partnership with the LMA we had our first interview last week with Sam Allardyce.. pretty cool stuff. I think David Moyes is next.

cheikh75
10-25-2013, 03:00 PM
Swenden have some chances with Ibrahimovic :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYx3z7A6rPk
yeah im not a fan of the way they play. Plus Sweden probably wont go too far so it helps other teams haha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYNuWfhH0HQ

Jules
10-25-2013, 04:08 PM
That goal against Anderlecht was just ridiculous.

NYRangers92
10-25-2013, 06:08 PM
I wonder how many he'll score against Anderlecht at home next week

cheikh75
10-26-2013, 06:56 PM
I wonder how many he'll score against Anderlecht at home next week

Score or assist because last year he didn't score against Zagreb but he made 4 assists

Jules
10-30-2013, 06:06 PM
One of my childhood soccer heroes, Fernando Ricksen, wrote a biography about his mad life of soccer, drugs, booze, hookers, and fucking famous women. He started for my local team Fortuna Sittard, then played for AZ Alkmaar, Glasgow Rangers, Zenit St. Petersburg and after winning the UEFA Cup with Zenit he quit soccer to detox from drinking. He eventually came back on an amateur contract to save Fortuna from relegation to the amateur leagues and succeeded.

He was on a Dutch talkshow to promote his book, but instead of that, he announced he has ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and will likely die within just a few years.

Fuck. :(

Cash or Czech?
11-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Arsenal win off of who else but Aaron Ramsey's goal. Top of the league. Top of the table.

fletch
11-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Arsenal win off of who else but Aaron Ramsey's goal. Top of the league. Top of the table.

Epic, in Germany against the run of play. Could have made it 2-0 soon after, professional defending to finish off match. Unfamiliar territory for the current club, not for Wenger.

Jules
12-07-2013, 09:21 AM
In one simple deal, my beloved Fortuna Sittard has wiped away 13 million euros in debt and they are finally out of financial danger for the foreseaable future. Their top sponsor is an investment company in sports campuses and they own the one next door to the stadium. Now they've bought the stadium through Fortuna and shares, wiping away the debt with the current external owner in one single deal and telling the club they will pay for minor renovations, a new pitch (maybe natural to artificial grass) and at no rental cost ever for the club. This opens up 1/8th of the annual budget to pay off the last bits of debts with other and maybe bolster the squad with one or two players as well.

I am over the moon with this deal. It's just such great news.

H-Dreamer
12-07-2013, 09:28 AM
So who gets the money from tickets and everything else? The club or the comapny?

Jules
12-07-2013, 09:35 AM
So who gets the money from tickets and everything else? The club or the comapny?

The club. Club didn't own stadium now either, but paid a rental fee per event and collected the revenue. Now there's simply a new owner of the stadium and they don't charge rent, because they can use Fortuna and vice versa to grow their foothold in the region. They are also looking to bring together Fortuna with other teams in the county, including a hockey team and a handball team, so they can share sponsors and promote themselves to investors as an "omni sports group." Kind of how advertising with MSG is for multiple sports, they want to do that for Fortuna's stadium and the next-door facilities.

I feel like it's a really strong plan and this sponsor is far more reasonable and pro-club as the guy who had it for the last decade or so. Usually I'm pretty worried and weary about these kinds of moves, but this one makes sense and the people I know within the club are very confident.

fletch
12-07-2013, 10:09 AM
I hope Cardiff stays up this year. They helped expose Man U and their vulnerability. Cheers to Newcastle!

Blue Heaven
12-10-2013, 12:41 PM
such a sad day that Alex Morgan is off the market.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/10/alex-morgan-engaged-servando-carrasco_n_4417863.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

U.S. women's national soccer team star Alex Morgan is engaged to Servando Carrasco of the MLS's Houston Dynamo.

NYRangers92
12-10-2013, 01:07 PM
well, for the sake of the national team I hope they have lots of awesome soccer-playing children

NYRangers92
12-10-2013, 03:16 PM
So City dropped Joe Hart and then decided to bring him back to face Bayern of all teams? And of course it went over about as well as you'd think it would (2 goals in opening 12 minutes). I guess its because theyre already through to the KO stage, but putting him back out there against probably the best team on the continent isnt the greatest way to build confidence

H-Dreamer
12-11-2013, 06:09 AM
So City won after your rant 3-2.

Well Bayern was long overdue for a loss anyway, their players propably got lazy, thinking they could win with 50% effort or something like that.

fletch
12-11-2013, 06:23 AM
I'd like FIFA to step up, and say as of 2018, there will be no more offsides.

What would be the downside? Teams would adapt. More scoring? More running = more fit, younger players play? Less controversy over allowed/disallowed goals?

Sign me up.

Blue Heaven
12-11-2013, 09:18 AM
Looks like NYCFC will play in the Bronx

http://nypost.com/2013/12/10/bronx-scores-400m-soccer-stadium/

After looking at sites in Queens and Brooklyn, a Major League Soccer franchise on Tuesday stood close to a deal to build a 28,000-seat stadium in The Bronx just south of Yankee Stadium, The Post has learned.

The $400 million stadium will be located on what now is an empty lot between the Major Deegan and East 153rd Street

High and Wide
12-11-2013, 12:09 PM
That's a bit of a bummer to me. A queens location would have been ideal because of LIRR access. Now it's just as problematic as going to Harrison.

H-Dreamer
12-12-2013, 04:41 AM

What would be the downside? Teams would adapt. More scoring? More running = more fit, younger players play? Less controversy over allowed/disallowed goals?

Sign me up.

More standing around and long passes, temptation especially for bad teams would be high to park a forward in front of the opponents goal and try to get the ball to him with a long clear.

fletch
12-12-2013, 11:29 AM
More standing around and long passes, temptation especially for bad teams would be high to park a forward in front of the opponents goal and try to get the ball to him with a long clear.

I'm OK with changes in tactics, and a return to a sweeper system instead of a flat back 4.

G1000
12-12-2013, 11:44 AM

Sign me up.

I'd be up for a change in the rule to something like "cannot be in the box" instead of the last defender arbitrary line.

NYRangers92
12-12-2013, 11:53 AM
What about if offsides was not called once all players are across midfield

Jules
12-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Fortuna had lost three straight and gave away a 2-0 lead late, with the equalizer coming in the 92nd minute... but they scored the last second game winner themselves in the 95th minute. Wraps up a week of great news for the club quite nicely.

Bluephoria
12-16-2013, 11:25 AM
So whos going to be the first to weigh in on the Champions League draw?

Is there no Champions League thread?

NYRangers92
12-16-2013, 11:46 AM
There might be [unusually high number for a typical game] goals scored in the Barca-City matches

Jules
12-16-2013, 02:48 PM
Two great matchups, and some teams get a walk in the park. Too bad Arsenal and Bayern run into each other so early.

fletch
12-16-2013, 08:11 PM
Ugh.... didn't get a chance to see the draw until now. As runners-up, Arsenal were going to get a tough matchup, but I would rather have seen PSG or Atletico Madrid.

Jules
01-06-2014, 04:08 PM
Huge scandal in The Netherlands. Soccer team Vitesse Arnhem are bought by a Russian group of investors related to Chelsea's ownership, they have been really good since through investment, and wanted to play some exhibition games in the United Arab Emirates. Now, Vitesse have Dan Mori, an Israelian player in the squad, and the team had to leave him in The Netherlands... because the UAE doesn't recognize Israel as a state and thus Mori has no "legal passport".

First everyone was furious with Vitesse, they have since stated they were unaware until the ticket was refused last minute and after long discussions they are filing an official complaint with the FIFA. Obviously FIFA will do jack shit about this, because they are political wimps and butt kissers for these rich sheikhs, but imagine Israel makes it to the World Cup and neighbouring state Qatar pulls a similar track? Or their flight is diverted? Or it's sponsored by Emirates?

What a mess, but good on Vitesse for filing a complaint and not bowing to the money flow behind the event.

NYRangers92
01-06-2014, 04:47 PM
Qatar is one of the countries that allows entry for Israelis, though. UAE does not. Although they do accept passports from visitors with Israeli stamped passports, which some countries don't. At Israeli customs you can ask them to either not stamp your passport or theyll stamp a separate unattached piece of paper that theyll stick in the passport, for those that wish to travel to the countries that dont allow the stamp. I chose not to because I cant envision myself going to any of those countries in the next 4 years (when my passport expires)

In Dan Mori's case, I'm kinda surprised he doesnt hold dual-citizenship

Dunny
01-13-2014, 02:03 PM
TFC sign Jermaine Defoe and Michael Bradley on the same day. MLS throwing some money around.

Jules
01-27-2014, 03:12 PM
LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zadWUXRZ19I

NYRangers92
02-19-2014, 02:56 PM
This game between Arsenal and Bayern is already insane and its not even 10 minutes in

Morphinity
02-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Where you watching it?

NYRangers92
02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Stream

Morphinity
02-19-2014, 03:05 PM
Stream

PM pls

Jules
02-19-2014, 03:08 PM
Özil breaks the old rule of never taking a penalty kick for a foul on yourself and he fails to score indeed.

Not sure if that's statistically a thing, but it used to be coached that way.

NYRangers92
02-19-2014, 03:09 PM
He also looks like hes playing scared. Very hesitant so far

Jules
02-19-2014, 03:14 PM
He also looks like hes playing scared. Very hesitant so far

He's been a little injured, or out of it, lately. And it's been hurting Arsenal.

NYRangers92
02-19-2014, 03:27 PM
What a crazy half