PDA

View Full Version : Coaching - Who or What is the Best Coach or Route to Take with this Rebuild?

Respecttheblue
02-26-2018, 05:38 PM
The shakeup is so huge one would think it's time for a breath of fresh air in the coaching department, no?

Does anybody really see AV as the right guy to go forward with this young group? You have to wonder if AV even wants to stay here after what has transpired? Who is the best Coach or what is the best route to take with this Rebuild? AV still or does Ruff take it from here through to the end of the season while management figures out who is right to handle and guide this younger group next year? If so, who is available who might be a good fit for the road ahead?

Mike
02-26-2018, 05:50 PM
HC: Puckhead
Associate : Me
Associate : Josh
Goalie Coach : Dunny

Dunny
02-26-2018, 05:51 PM

I hope Hank is a Reggie Lemelin fan...

Phil in Absentia
02-26-2018, 06:02 PM
Sheldon Keefe. Hard stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Respecttheblue
02-26-2018, 06:05 PM

I like how you think, but would there be scraps, fisticuffs and a stench of stale beer behind the bench?

Mike
02-26-2018, 06:09 PM
I like how you think, but would there be scraps, fisticuffs and a stench of stale beer behind the bench?

Not sure, but our powerplay would rock.

Respecttheblue
02-26-2018, 06:09 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

There's some interesting thoughts on that ... and it would some of keep our prized posters —*Mikey, Dunny, Puck 'ed, Josh etc —* in their ketchup-stained seats at home where they belong, wouldn't want to give them up for just a coach

As coach of the Toronto Marlies, Keefe has led his teams to several terrific regular seasons. While he has yet to win a Calder Cup, he has proven his style as successful at the level he is at now. Furthermore, his AHL experience developing prospects shows his amiability towards young talent, and his penchant for using them in the roles they deserve.

He led both the OHL Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds and the Toronto Marlies to 50 win seasons. He is ready to make the jump to the NHL. While the Rangers history of selecting coaches makes this seem unlikely, it does not mean the idea is wrong. The Rangers culture must change to fit the changes the league is making, and Keefe is a huge first step towards this.

https://bluelinestation.com/2018/01/19/new-york-rangers-target-ahl-coach-sheldon-keefe/

Do it.

Fatfrancesa
02-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Waiting to hear Tony granato’s name start popping up in the rumor mill. Not saying I want him but can totally see it

ThirtyONE
02-26-2018, 07:49 PM
New Name. No rehash of old washed up bums who keep circulating. Only person worth visiting is Quenneville. If not him, surprise me with an upcoming coach.

Dunny
02-26-2018, 07:58 PM
If I can't have a Sutter I'll take a Hunter, if I can't get a Hunter I'll maybe settle for a Verbeek.

Mike
02-26-2018, 08:01 PM
How many coaches have won cups for 2 different teams other than Scotty? Give me someone with that extra bit of hunger to win.

ThirtyONE
02-26-2018, 08:05 PM
How many coaches have won cups for 2 different teams other than Scotty? Give me someone with that extra bit of hunger to win.

Young and hungry, just like the team.

josh
02-26-2018, 09:07 PM

My girl wont let me work nights or weekends.

Dunny
02-26-2018, 09:13 PM
They should sign Tavares and then just go: Renney, Torts, AV.

Worked last time.

I'm negotiable on AV. And Renney.

Dunny
02-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Those three are actually a great team evolution study.

Renney's Tutorial Hockey
Torts' Bootcamp Hockey

Then of course, AV's butterfly version of the game.

Mike
02-26-2018, 09:18 PM
They should sign Tavares and then just go: Renney, Torts, AV.

Worked last time.

I'm negotiable on AV. And Renney.

Renney gets intimidated by the hot dog vendor. There’s a guy that should be glued to a youth program. Oh wait ...

Dunny
02-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Renney gets intimidated by the hot dog vendor. There’s a guy that should be glued to a youth program. Oh wait ...

It's sadly true. He's currently in a perfect Tom Renney role. Half of it is just showing up, articulating garbage and being very polite.

Has he ever been angry?

Dunny
02-26-2018, 09:22 PM
The other half is $100/plate dinners 200 nights a year.

Mike
02-26-2018, 09:23 PM
It's sadly true. He's currently in a perfect Tom Renney role. Half of it is just showing up, articulating garbage and being very polite.

Has he ever been angry?

I still wanna kick him in the teeth for sending out Straka, Nylander, and Jagr in game 5, up by 1 with a minute left. Cost us a shot at the cup. We would have shit kicked Ottawa in the ECF.

Dunny
02-26-2018, 09:25 PM
Nylander probably hopped first and he was too shy to say anything.

Mike
02-26-2018, 10:19 PM
Nylander probably hopped first and he was too shy to say anything.

Shanny was coming off and saw Jagr hopping on. He almost shit himself.

josh
02-26-2018, 10:30 PM
Shanny was coming off and saw Jagr hopping on. He almost shit himself.

Should have been Krog, Dupuis and Hall

Mike
02-26-2018, 10:35 PM
Should have been Krog, Dupuis and Hall

Betts? Wait ... those guys were gone. Hahahaha

josh
02-26-2018, 10:44 PM
more importantly, any stories about Henrik's D?

Mike
02-26-2018, 10:57 PM
more importantly, any stories about Henrik's D?

Holy.
Fuckin.
Shit.

Hahahaha

Mr.wiskers
02-26-2018, 11:43 PM
What about JJ Daignault. Assistant in Montreal and was an assistant in Hartford about 5 years ago.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

So Nashty
02-27-2018, 01:03 PM

I dont pretend to know anything about any coaches but this is essentially the kind of path I would love to see the Rangers take for once.

A) a hungry young coach who wants to prove himself.
B) someone who is experienced with younger teams/players
C) someone who obviously has the credentials and and experience at lower levels that can translate it to a higher level (i.e.- dont bring messier back to coach the team).

Ozzy
02-27-2018, 01:13 PM

I did some reading up on this guy! I like what I see!

I don't know jack shit about him, but I will say this: Everywhere this guy goes, he wins! ...seems like a no bullshit, systematic type coach that can take a team and unify them fairly well....and quickly!

Phil in Absentia
02-27-2018, 06:37 PM
And wins emphatically. While dramatically improving the fortunes of young, talented players. Assuming the Leafs would play ball, the Rangers are in a unique position with him, too, in that he has no shot at dethroning Babcock any time soon and the Blueshirts can almost certainly outspend any other clubs who might be entertaining his services.

Dunny
02-27-2018, 06:47 PM
He's certainly all the rage these days. So was the last Marlie phenom coach.

Have to agree though, if they go off the beaten track this time he's a serious consideration.

Phil in Absentia
02-27-2018, 07:00 PM
He's certainly all the rage these days. So was the last Marlie phenom coach.

Have to agree though, if they go off the beaten track this time he's a serious consideration.

Eakins? I agree, and that's fair, but Keefe seems a better candidate for hockey reasons.

jsrangers
02-27-2018, 07:06 PM
Anybody want to guess the odds of them going with a retread vs. up and coming vs. AV stays

I'll go :

Retread - 40%
AV Stays - 35%
Rookie - 25%

The Dude
02-27-2018, 08:46 PM
The fact that AV hasn't been let go, and that they keep acquiring D men who dont put up points, yet skate well and supposedly move the puck well, gets me thinking AV still has the keys going forward.

josh
02-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Anybody want to guess the odds of them going with a retread vs. up and coming vs. AV stays

I'll go :

Retread - 40%
AV Stays - 35%
Rookie - 25%

Something close to this, with AVs percentage falling if as the team struggles through these last months.

I'm fine with keeping AV (1 of 1), but understand a changing of the guard is necessary. I'd like a fresh name, guy I've 'never' heard of, situation. I don't want to know. Just show me and go with it.

josh
02-27-2018, 09:04 PM
The fact that AV hasn't been let go, and that they keep acquiring D men who dont put up points, yet skate well and supposedly move the puck well, gets me thinking AV still has the keys going forward.

Not so much of an AV thing, as it is an NHL thing.

The 4th forward is more valuable than the stay at home defender.

Phil in Absentia
02-27-2018, 09:06 PM
2. The judgement regarding Vigneault’s fate, and the identity of his successor if management opts to make a change, are obviously management’s most critical twin decisions of the offseason.

Toronto’s rebuilding process accelerated when Mike Babcock took over behind the bench two years ago, just as Boston’s reboot got a charge when the Bruins replaced Claude Julien with Bruce Cassidy during the middle of last season.

If missing on a top-10 first-rounder this June would be deadly, going the wrong way on the coaching decision would set back the program by years.

I would not be surprised if St. Louis is in the mix for an assistant’s job next season regardless of the call on Vigneault.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/breaking-down-why-rangers-chose-to-move-mcdonagh-miller/

Bugg
02-27-2018, 09:33 PM
Not so much of an AV thing, as it is an NHL thing.

The 4th forward is more valuable than the stay at home defender.

If Dylan McIlrath gets drafted in 1992, he has a 10+ year career and beloved by NYR fans. Alas, nobody sees the point to a stay at home tough guy who can barely handle the puck.

ThirtyONE
02-27-2018, 09:53 PM
Eakins? I agree, and that's fair, but Keefe seems a better candidate for hockey reasons.

I think Eakins should get another shot. Everyone fails in Edmonton. Everyone.

Phil in Absentia
02-27-2018, 10:05 PM
Probably. He’s taken the Gulls pretty far in the A. Second round exits in both his first two years with a .618 and .669 winning percentage respectively. He’s 28-19 (.594) this season.

Dunny
02-27-2018, 10:10 PM
Eakins should, you're both right. Ranger connection, too.

Phil in Absentia
02-27-2018, 10:15 PM
I mean, by all means. Interview him, too. I wouldn't consider him much of a retread. Certainly not in the Marc Crawford mold. Literally, the only active head coach I think I'd have serious interest in, should he be made available this summer, is Queneville.

ThirtyONE
02-27-2018, 10:26 PM
I mean, by all means. Interview him, too. I wouldn't consider him much of a retread. Certainly not in the Marc Crawford mold. Literally, the only active head coach I think I'd have serious interest in, should he be made available this summer, is Queneville.

Can't agree with this any more. Spot on.

Fatfrancesa
02-27-2018, 10:58 PM
Retread for teaching Tippett

Rookie coaches
Dan Quinn Boston University
Sheldon Keefe Marlies
Tim Montgomery Denver