PDA

View Full Version : Zuccarello: Traded or Made Captain?

Sod16
02-26-2018, 05:18 PM
Is he still on the block for after the season or is he the favorite to become captain? Someone has to provide veteran leadership.

So Nashty
02-26-2018, 05:19 PM
If he wasnít traded now I donít think he will be in the near future. Iíd give Zucc the c.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
02-26-2018, 05:19 PM
First norwegian NHL captain, DO IT! :thumbs:

Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc
02-26-2018, 05:22 PM
Although, if they suck as much next year (which is likely) he could be a nice player to trade as a rental at next years deadline.

No one else fits the bill tho, so it got to be him (or maybe Henrik).

Sod16
02-26-2018, 05:26 PM
There must be some gesture towards continuity. C for 36 would do that.

Now what would be a good signing for a team that's quite young, pretty quick, and has plenty of cap space? He's temporarily wearing #40 over at the House That Sharpe James Built at the moment.

NYR2711
02-26-2018, 05:28 PM
You can’t get rid of every veteran player, you need someone good in the locker room to work with the kids, and there is no one I can think of that would be better than Zuc in that locker room with kids.

Giacomin
02-26-2018, 05:37 PM
If he is not traded around draft/FA time then he'll wear the C, when camp opens. Or we resign Nash and give him the C. Mikey thinks Tavares is getting the C.

Mike
02-26-2018, 05:40 PM
If he is not traded around draft/FA time then he'll wear the C, when camp opens. Or we resign Nash and give him the C. Mikey thinks Tavares is getting the C.

No, I said heís leaving the Isles and possibly coming here. Not sure who gets the C whether heís here or not.

phillybô
02-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Yeah, I'd def give Zucc the C.

Giacomin
02-26-2018, 05:44 PM
No, I said he’s leaving the Isles and possibly coming here. Not sure who gets the C whether he’s here or not.

lol OK, you are definitely a literalist. You did not say that, I'm just extrapolating, you said he is coming here. I'm saying if he comes here, he'll be wearing the C.

Mike
02-26-2018, 05:46 PM
OK, you are definitely a literalist. You did not say that, I'm just extrapolating, you said he is coming here. I'm saying if he comes here, he'll be wearing the C.

I said he could possibly come here, but he’s definitely leaving the Isles. Could sign somewhere else.

Mike
02-26-2018, 05:48 PM
And the way the McD trade went down, I’d say the Zuc trade to Calgary is off the table. The McD trade is better than what the offer was for Zuc from Calgary.

Phil in Absentia
02-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Ask me after the draft. But I'd love to see him named captain and retained.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk (http://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=92212)

Respecttheblue
02-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Tavares is used to wearing the C in New York, so if by chance he comes here, it would seem like a smart move. Let Zucc do his thing -- no need to mess with his head.

But if no big shot first line stud like Tavares happens here in Free Agency, then Zucc is the logical choice.

Sentimentally I'd like to see Zucc get it, but I wouldn't want the team to give it to him and then trade him at the draft or there be a captaincy question if Tavares came here, etc.

Giacomin
02-26-2018, 06:13 PM
I said he could possibly come here, but he’s definitely leaving the Isles. Could sign somewhere else.

Well you bet your balls on it. :eek: You can't keep leading me on like this.

In all seriousness, JT is so classy about all this that no one seems to even approach him about discussing it, knowing he will not. He's no Ryan Johanson.

In fact, he is so classy it is hard to imagine the Isles losing him for nothing. How can mgmt not have spoken to him and know they are going to meet his demands?

Sod16
02-26-2018, 06:15 PM
The JT thing just seems impossible, but objectively it makes so much sense. We have the cap space now, he wouldn't have to move, and even if we have a young rebuilding team, it will be better than three years taking a dilapidated school bus between Atlantic Avenue and Hempstead Turnpike. Doubt it happens, but JT to NYR is a pretty good fit.

Mike
02-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Well you bet your balls on it. :eek: You can't keep leading me on like this.

In all seriousness, JT is so classy about all this that no one seems to even approach him about discussing it, knowing he will not. He's no Ryan Johanson.

In fact, he is so classy it is hard to imagine the Isles losing him for nothing. How can mgmt not have spoken to him and know they are going to meet his demands?

Hahaha ... I bet a round of golf that he leaves. I bet a case of balls that he comes here. A round of golf is more expensive than a case of balls.

Giacomin
02-26-2018, 06:26 PM
And the way the McD trade went down, I’d say the Zuc trade to Calgary is off the table. The McD trade is better than what the offer was for Zuc from Calgary.

Well if the Calg trade wasn't returning Valimaki what else would we really be interested in. Maybe Adam Fox their only other A prospect, also a defender. If it was Bennett, so glad that trade was not made.

Calgary is Johnny Hockey, Monster Monahan, Hamilton, Tkachuk. Then you have Ferlund and the two D prospects. Everything else is trash and should not interest us.

Giacomin
02-26-2018, 06:30 PM
Hahaha ... I bet a round of golf that he leaves. I bet a case of balls that he comes here. A round of golf is more expensive than a case of balls.

Depends on the course and the balls. You obviously golf at Baltusrol. :worship:

Mike
02-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Well if the Calg trade wasn't returning Valimaki what else would we really be interested in. Maybe Adam Fox their only other A prospect, also a defender. If it was Bennett, so glad that trade was not made.

Calgary is Johnny Hockey, Monster Monahan, Hamilton, Tkachuk. Then you have Ferlund and the two D prospects. Everything else is trash and should not interest us.

It was Bennett, a young Swedish Dman, and a 3rd rounder. The McD/Miller trade is better than that move.

josh
02-26-2018, 07:12 PM
Team desperately needs vocal leader in the lockerroom. I dont think Zucc is that guy.

Sure, he's likeable. Everyone loves him
Sure, he talks... ummm, yes, we need to skate better, um, guys lets skate fast, ok?

Need an asshole. Someone not afraid to get in a teammates face, hold them accountable, etc.
Zucc is terrible when he tries to act like that on the ice. Its a detriment to the team.

Ba Ba Bluey
02-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Team desperately needs vocal leader in the lockerroom. I dont think Zucc is that guy.

Sure, he's likeable. Everyone loves him
Sure, he talks... ummm, yes, we need to skate better, um, guys lets skate fast, ok?

Need an asshole. Someone not afraid to get in a teammates face, hold them accountable, etc.
Zucc is terrible when he tries to act like that on the ice. Its a detriment to the team.

Agreed. I think hank gets the "C" in theory and they just roll with Staal, zucc, and shattenkirk or three assistants.

Phil in Absentia
02-26-2018, 07:31 PM
Presuming he pans out, Lindgren is probably a captain candidate down the line.

josh
02-26-2018, 07:33 PM
Presuming he pans out, Lindgren is probably a captain candidate down the line.

Does he throw silver medals?

Phil in Absentia
02-26-2018, 07:38 PM
No, but he chants like a boss.

Mobile link: https://twitter.com/fitzgsn_/status/949038400904007682

josh
02-26-2018, 07:39 PM
I don't click links, bro.

lefty9
02-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Hahaha ... I bet a round of golf that he leaves. I bet a case of balls that he comes here. A round of golf is more expensive than a case of balls.i hope you win,who did you make the bet with

jjweimar
02-26-2018, 07:48 PM
Fast will have a letter I'd bet

Sent from my [device_name] using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

torontonyr
02-26-2018, 07:51 PM
No captain 2018-2019.

Tavares 2019-2020.

Andersson 2025

ThirtyONE
02-26-2018, 07:54 PM
Whatever they do, don't rush it. I think the "C" hindered Callahan's game and hindered Mac's game. Symbolic or not, there is a lot of pressure that comes with it. Leetch took a nosedive once he got it. There was trepidation with Jagr. It's not a "no brainer" and to give it to a 20 year old is an issue IMO.

I think Zucc is a good candidate if he survives the draft but let the new staff pick the C. Honestly, though, is Hank not the actual captain? Why not do the Roberto Luongo?

josh
02-26-2018, 08:01 PM
I dont think Callahan was hindered. McDonagh either. I think it made some fans take a closer look at their games, but I dont think either was hindered by wearing the C.
Jagr was hindered by Renney trying to be the coach, when Jagr was previously acting in that role in his first season.
Henrik is a goalie - theyre weird. He's going to be quiet and concentrating on his game in the corner. Not telling guys to get their shit together between periods or during practice.

If the players and coaches feel he should wear it, fine. Can't argue with that.

My comment was based on what I've seen from players and the team, and how they respond to different situations.

ThirtyONE
02-26-2018, 08:04 PM
I dont think Callahan was hindered. McDonagh either. I think it made some fans take a closer look at their games, but I dont think either was hindered by wearing the C.
Jagr was hindered by Renney trying to be the coach, when Jagr was previously acting in that role in his first season.
Henrik is a goalie - theyre weird. He's going to be quiet and concentrating on his game in the corner. Not telling guys to get their shit together between periods or during practice.

If the players and coaches feel he should wear it, fine. Can't argue with that.

My comment was based on what I've seen from players and the team, and how they respond to different situations.

We can't see what goes on inside the lockerroom but Hank has publicly told guys to get their shit together including giving a speech during a commercial timeout

Mike
02-26-2018, 08:27 PM
i hope you win,who did you make the bet with

You !

Mike
02-26-2018, 08:28 PM
We can't see what goes on inside the lockerroom but Hank has publicly told guys to get their shit together including giving a speech during a commercial timeout

Goalies won’t do that often.

ThirtyONE
02-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Goalies won’t do that often.

Of course not. But it's clear to me, the person on the team who cares the most about the Rangers is Hank who essentially said, I want to be here no matter what.

I'm not saying he should be the captain, but of what's left (not much) he'd be my pick.

josh
02-26-2018, 08:36 PM

I highly doubt this is happening pre-game, in-game, between periods, though. He's usually in his own world during the games. If he's not, he's bad.

jsrangers
02-26-2018, 08:44 PM
The JT thing just seems impossible, but objectively it makes so much sense. We have the cap space now, he wouldn't have to move, and even if we have a young rebuilding team, it will be better than three years taking a dilapidated school bus between Atlantic Avenue and Hempstead Turnpike. Doubt it happens, but JT to NYR is a pretty good fit.

Serious question - why in the world would he want to come here and play with what is likely to be a hot mess when it comes to being a serious contender for several years to come. IF he leaves the Islanders I would bet everything he signs with a serious contender. If winning isn't a top priority he might as well stay where he is.

josh
02-26-2018, 08:45 PM
Serious question - why in the world would he want to come here and play with what is likely to be a hot mess when it comes to being a serious contender for several years to come. IF he leaves the Islanders I would bet everything he signs with a serious contender. If winning isn't a top priority he might as well stay where he is.

The team has missed the playoffs once in his lifetime, and has been the most competitive non-cup winning team.

Edit: didnt finish my thought

If this is something he's thought about, he knows that they will be competitive, fast. They are willing to spend the price to acquire the necessary pieces to win - something he NEVER saw with the Islanders.
Certainly, this is a slight set-back in the pursuit of Tavares, but if this is something he's thought about, this shouldnt be much of an issue.

Mike
02-26-2018, 08:57 PM

Give it time. The Rangers are not going into next season with the expectations of being a below average squad. All these moves are going to reinforce and be a backbone for a rebuild on the fly.

jsrangers
02-26-2018, 09:05 PM
The team has missed the playoffs once in his lifetime, and has been the most competitive non-cup winning team.

Edit: didnt finish my thought

If this is something he's thought about, he knows that they will be competitive, fast. They are willing to spend the price to acquire the necessary pieces to win - something he NEVER saw with the Islanders.
Certainly, this is a slight set-back in the pursuit of Tavares, but if this is something he's thought about, this shouldnt be much of an issue.

yes the old team, which was a threat almost every year to a certain degree. That's not what we have now nor the near future. Can't wait for somebody to say bringing in Kovalchuk makes sense now. Might as well give him the C, I mean he's a stand up guy and an of his word, right? Perhaps the most selfish player of all time.

josh
02-26-2018, 09:12 PM
yes the old team, which was a threat almost every year to a certain degree. That's not what we have now nor the near future. Can't wait for somebody to say bringing in Kovalchuk makes sense now. Might as well give him the C, I mean he's a stand up guy and an of his word, right? Perhaps the most selfish player of all time.

True, but we went through a few different cores that were all successful. That's a sign of a good organization.
I dont disagree with what you said, just giving the other perspective.

As for Kovlachuk, I'm a big fan. Always will be. He has connections with a few of our Russian prospects, too. Not huge on the idea, but wouldnt mind getting him, at a low cost, for entertainment and a chance to flip him at the deadline for assets.

I will pick Kovalchuk over Paul Carey every day of the week.

jsrangers
02-26-2018, 09:13 PM
Give it time. The Rangers are not going into next season with the expectations of being a below average squad. All these moves are going to reinforce and be a backbone for a rebuild on the fly.

so all of the underachievers and unproven new bodies whoever they might be (and I think it would purley be speculating who will even be here) are going to be very competitive. What backbone? Zuc, Hank and Kreider (who still lacks consistency).

they're junk now and have been for months and there's no proven studs that will be here next year to turn that around. Over the next few years - yes sure if most of these guys and picks pan out. I think it was Lawton and Co that pointed 6-8 years down the road to potentially win a cup.

Give it time is very true I don't think we agree on how many years that's going to be.

jsrangers
02-26-2018, 09:16 PM
True, but we went through a few different cores that were all successful. That's a sign of a good organization.
I dont disagree with what you said, just giving the other perspective.

As for Kovlachuk, I'm a big fan. Always will be. He has connections with a few of our Russian prospects, too. Not huge on the idea, but wouldnt mind getting him, at a low cost, for entertainment and a chance to flip him at the deadline for assets.

I will pick Kovalchuk over Paul Carey every day of the week.

Soooooo you think he'd even consider for one second a team friendly low cost deal, I don't? Gonna probably have to get use to a few fillers like Carey for the foreseeable future.

NYRanger11
02-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Add me to the list of Hank being the real voice in the room and AV sticking with 3 "A"s. If there is a "C" named, I do hope that it is Zucc.

Giacomin
02-26-2018, 09:36 PM
It was Bennett, a young Swedish Dman, and a 3rd rounder. The McD/Miller trade is better than that move.

Thanks! and no thanks on Bennett. The sweede would be their 3rd or 4th best D prospect. Would not have been psyched with that trade.

josh
02-26-2018, 09:49 PM
Soooooo you think he'd even consider for one second a team friendly low cost deal, I don't? Gonna probably have to get use to a few fillers like Carey for the foreseeable future.

How Cheap we talking?

He will probably get dollar amount close to JT Miller would have gotten here. Without term.

over the next 2 season, who do I think will produce more between Miller or Kovalchuk? Kovi
2-4 years? Even.
In 4 years, will we another another player within the system that can replace Miller's production? Most likely.

How I view things with most prospects/players.

lefty9
02-26-2018, 11:05 PM
You !ha ha,just testing you,

Dr. Jimmy
02-27-2018, 05:52 AM
Captain has to face the press after every game, Zucc has admitted he's not confident in his English and honestly, sometimes his interviews are hard to watch. I think that would be the main reason he doesn't get the C. Somebody will though, New York is about tradition and I don't see them going without a Captain, probably Hank or Staal.....

Blue Heaven
02-27-2018, 09:05 AM
Captain has to face the press after every game, Zucc has admitted he's not confident in his English and honestly, sometimes his interviews are hard to watch. I think that would be the main reason he doesn't get the C. Somebody will though, New York is about tradition and I don't see them going without a Captain, probably Hank or Staal.....

Lundqvist cant wear the C, he can only be a voice for the team in the locker room. Rangers will probably go with 3 A's the rest of the season. Re-evaluate next training camp for the C

Ozzy
02-27-2018, 09:22 AM
I can go either way on Zuch; I can see trading him and I can also see keeping him. Either way, I can live with it. Making him Captain? Eh, I'm not so sure about that. I'd rather finish the season with no "C" on this team. No one out there has really earned it this season. Not saying Zucc hasn't put in the effort, but this whole season has been an abysmal fuck-fail.

Let one of the kids earn it next year.

Zuch can have an "A"....I wanna have a guy with some real leadership, not just a fan favorite.

There was a guy here once that had that...."Messy-something", yeah like him!!!

RJWantsTheCup
02-27-2018, 09:51 AM
Tavares or whatever big free agent they sign with the cap space they have after all the trades will be captain next season.

Future
02-27-2018, 09:53 AM
You canít get rid of every veteran player, you need someone good in the locker room to work with the kids, and there is no one I can think of that would be better than Zuc in that locker room with kids.
Why? What has he done with "kids" here?

Kreider is the one always talking to Buch, and Hayes/Miller/Vesey haven't even come close to their ceilings.

Flynn
02-27-2018, 09:58 AM
Why? What has he done with "kids" here?

Kreider is the one always talking to Buch, and Hayes/Miller/Vesey haven't even come close to their ceilings.

Kreider speaks Russian, Buch doesn't have many options... If we do have a C, I'm not sure what your other options are.. Also- by naming Zucc, you guarantee he gets moved before the draft..

RJWantsTheCup
02-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Can't say any of the players left on the current roster showed leadership this year. There is no deserving captain.

torontonyr
02-27-2018, 09:59 AM
If Zuccarello were a video game character he'd add +10 friendship and + 7 happiness to the entire team. Captain or not, that means something *especially* during a rebuild where you're hoping to keep key vets locked in mentally.

Future
02-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Kreider speaks Russian, Buch doesn't have many options... If we do have a C, I'm not sure what your other options are.. Also- by naming Zucc, you guarantee he gets moved before the draft..
Lol - I mean, that may be true. But it means Zucc is doing less to help him.

If anyone, I would name Staal captain if, for no other reason, that he's been through it all. He talked about how he has a really good relationship with Pionk and I think Gilmour so can be a good presence for the young guys and he does have a good reputation in this league. He's not the fiery motivator and isn't all that charismatic, but he's a good guy to get you through the rebuild. Given that, I think they just go with 3 As. No reason to force a captaincy.

4EverRangerFrank
02-27-2018, 10:21 AM
I'm not in favor of the C on Henrik -- bad experiment IMO.

Zucc is the next likely choice. Of all remaining players, and including some recently departed (to other teams) he alone exhibits outward leadership skills. He can articulate mood, is pretty direct from what I've seen and certainly looked up to - despite his lack of stature - for his every-shift-counts play.

Nobody on this team has been that Messier-type I think we crave. He was a special kind of dude. Messier-leaders are like needles in haystacks, or in our case, hat-tricks on home ice.

paddynyc
02-27-2018, 10:24 AM
I don't see anyone on this team for Captaincy and it will be awhile before it happens.

Puck Head
02-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Of course not. But it's clear to me, the person on the team who cares the most about the Rangers is Hank who essentially said, I want to be here no matter what.

I'm not saying he should be the captain, but of what's left (not much) he'd be my pick.

Goaltenders canít be captains in the NHL, and Iím not sure it would be a good selection anyways

Gravesy
02-27-2018, 12:38 PM
I think there'll be a couple of free agents in the equation for C before the coming season.
Hard to say before we know who that is.

I'm not dead against Zuc as captain, but he doesn't strike me as the most vocal type.

LarryBiv
02-28-2018, 08:21 AM
Did I already state that Kreids should be? Lots of pros with making him wear that letter. Zuccha (although deserving) still has a red laser beam on his head, and may not be here, and if he does get it, I wouldn't unpack my bags as "C's" get traded often here. If MGMT. KNOWS he will be here, then I suppose go for it. Can't be worse than giving it to McD.

LarryBiv
02-28-2018, 08:27 AM
Tavares or whatever big free agent they sign with the cap space they have after all the trades will be captain next season.

I think that is NOT the way to go. The Captaincy should be "earned" within the team that is capable of such. Handing it to an outsider, well.....I'm just not copesthetic with it. Maybe just maybe Tavares, but that ain't happening anyway. So moot point.

RJWantsTheCup
02-28-2018, 08:45 AM
I think that is NOT the way to go. The Captaincy should be "earned" within the team that is capable of such. Handing it to an outsider, well.....I'm just not copesthetic with it. Maybe just maybe Tavares, but that ain't happening anyway. So moot point.

Well one of the greatest if not greatest Rangers captains was an outsider that was handed the captaincy when he was acquired. I'm sure Ozzy knows who I'm referring to. I just don't see anyone on this team that is a good candidate. Kreider takes too many games off. Zuccs in my opinion isn't the right kind of character to be a captain. Although Zuccs plays hard he's not serious enough to be a captain.

Future
02-28-2018, 08:56 AM
Goaltenders can’t be captains in the NHL, and I’m not sure it would be a good selection anyways

AV already did it with Luongo, you just can't put the C on the sweater.

But yea I don't think Hank would be a very good captain.

Ozzy
02-28-2018, 10:02 AM
Well one of the greatest if not greatest Rangers captains was an outsider that was handed the captaincy when he was acquired. I'm sure Ozzy knows who I'm referring to. I just don't see anyone on this team that is a good candidate. Kreider takes too many games off. Zuccs in my opinion isn't the right kind of character to be a captain. Although Zuccs plays hard he's not serious enough to be a captain.

I can't help it, I loved when Mess came here!

That guy was going to be the captain of the team no matter what! Thing is, there are so FEW players that command that type of respect. The guy earned it elsewhere like you said Robbie. I just don't think Tavares is going to come to the Rangers, that's all. I think Garth Snow would be a fool to let him go for very little or nothing at all. Without Tavares, the Isles are not going to be very competitive, and the guy can do it all.

LarryBiv
03-01-2018, 10:35 AM

Don't think being serious or not being serious has anything to do with equation. Just because Zuccha smiles and laughs alot doesn't mean anything. When it comes right down to it, Zuccha defends his teammates, himself and does anything and everything that's good for the team. Many worse off choices besides him, seriously. (Pun intended)

As for you Ozzy, just don't what to say to you. Did u wake up one morning next to.......oh, nevermind. LMAO.

RJWantsTheCup
03-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Being a captain of the team is much more than just what's done on the ice. There's on the bench, in the locker room, at practice and behind the scenes. Zuccs has the on ice without a doubt, but not sure about the rest. McDonagh had the on ice too, but apparently the knock on him was all the rest.

Giacomin
03-01-2018, 11:18 AM
zuc is one of the biggest leaders in practice, probably moreso than in a game. He challenges everybody (including Hank) to play like it's a real game. Intense yet upbeat. He jokes, he jabs, he keeps everybody on their toes and shows the kids that the Pros care about practice and every drill. Like the way Hags practices skating, like the way Grabs works out and maintains cardio and speed, or Kreids in the weight room, etc.

Zuc is the perfect A. He is not the guy to get serious with teammates when they act unprofessional, or handle off ice problems, he's the ultimate good cop and positive motivator.

Right now we have no C and do not need one. New coach should also take plenty of time before dropping a C on someone. Maybe more than a year.

Ozzy
03-01-2018, 02:04 PM
Don't think being serious or not being serious has anything to do with equation. Just because Zuccha smiles and laughs alot doesn't mean anything. When it comes right down to it, Zuccha defends his teammates, himself and does anything and everything that's good for the team. Many worse off choices besides him, seriously. (Pun intended)

As for you Ozzy, just don't what to say to you. Did u wake up one morning next to.......oh, nevermind. LMAO.

I did!! =)