• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Money In Toronto

CreaseCrusader91

Canadian money. I used travelex when I went to Montreal back in February. They didn't charge me to convert USD to CAD. They only charged going back to American. I don't remember what they charged as I never changed the $50 back but I think it was 7% or something like that.

Man, I remember the day when a Canadian stripper LOVED the US Dollar. These days, not so much.

My $ really went further back in college...

Canadian Dollars to One U.S. Dollar:

1998-12-01 1.5433

1999-01-01 1.5194

1999-02-01 1.4977

1999-03-01 1.5176

1999-04-01 1.4881

1999-05-01 1.4611

1999-06-01 1.4695

1999-07-01 1.4890

1999-08-01 1.4932

1999-09-01 1.4771

1999-10-01 1.4776

1999-11-01 1.4674

1999-12-01 1.4722

OK so I just saw that for 1 US dollar, I get 0.9360 CAN dollars. So does that mean that goods are cheaper? They will still accept VISA though right so I can avoid paying in cash when possible?

VISA may hit you with a charge for being out of the country. American Express hit me $10 for "international service" when I used my card to order Habs tickets from the states. After that I called Amex and told them I was leaving the country and they waived the charge from there on out. I'd research that out. Using the card out of the country could also raise some fraudulent activity flags on your account as well I was told

VISA may hit you with a charge for being out of the country. American Express hit me $10 for "international service" when I used my card to order Habs tickets from the states. After that I called Amex and told them I was leaving the country and they waived the charge from there on out. I'd research that out. Using the card out of the country could also raise some fraudulent activity flags on your account as well I was told

Even bank debits?

This thread will come in handy when the schedule comes out in a few days. I'm down to Toronto, Nashville, or Chicago for a trip next season. Staying at the Rogers center hotel, Rangers/Leafs, HHOF, CN tower. What else?

I could stare at the Cup for hours....

http://oi43.tinypic.com/2ngynas.jpg

Great pic thanks for the share.

P.S. I insist on being able to use British Pounds Sterling there, darn it.

Oh well, maybe not.

Canada and Newfoundland did not join the sterling area because their dollar had effectively been linked to the US dollar until they were forced off the gold standard in 1931 along with Britain. But while countries like Australia, New Zealand and South Africa responded to the end of the gold standard by pegging their pounds to the pound sterling, Canada and Newfoundland instead pegged their dollars to the US dollar. So Canada and Newfoundland did not stand to gain by joining an exchange control bloc intended to protect the external value of sterling. The absence of Canada and Newfoundland from the sterling area was beneficial to Britain as it curtailed capital flight to the North American mainland. Canada nevertheless introduced its own exchange controls at the outbreak of war; they were kept until 1953. Canada's exchange controls were 'sterling area friendly' in that their purpose was more to prevent capital flight to the USA than to the sterling area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sterling_area

This thread will come in handy when the schedule comes out in a few days. I'm down to Toronto, Nashville, or Chicago for a trip next season. Staying at the Rogers center hotel, Rangers/Leafs, HHOF, CN tower. What else?

Theatre District (if you are interested in seeing a show). http://www.torontolivetheatre.com/

Gretzky's is worth a stop. Atleast for a drink or bite to eat, and checking out the memorabilia...

http://gretzkys.com/wayne-gretzkys-toronto/sports-bar/

Yup, goods are cheaper

What do you mean "Goods"? Like food? Or everything?

A New Yorker probably wouldn't find Canada expensive, but everything we use in life generally costs a lot more here. A lot more than the relatively close exchange rate could help you.

What do you mean "Goods"? Like food? Or everything?

A New Yorker probably wouldn't find Canada expensive, but everything we use in life generally costs a lot more here. A lot more than the relatively close exchange rate could help you.

Like anything I would buy. Merchandise apparel etc.

Jays could be in town. Steam Whistle Brewery at The Roundhouse is a fantastic spot. It's in the middle of the ACC/CN Tower/Skydome triangle.

Like Parsley said, Gretzky's is cool, and anything along Front Street in that area. I think the Loose Moose is on Front.

TIFF will be gearing up in August too, so Yorkville will be happening. Hemmingways there is an awesome spot.

Like anything I would buy. Merchandise apparel etc.

It's 45 bucks for a case of beer, My cell phone costs me $175/Month, and my Ford Focus lease costs as much as a Lexus SUV lease in the States. Not a lot of deals in this country.

Archived