• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Money In Toronto

CreaseCrusader91

OK so I just saw that for 1 US dollar, I get 0.9360 CAN dollars. So does that mean that goods are cheaper? They will still accept VISA though right so I can avoid paying in cash when possible?

Where did you get that number from? Hasn't been that low in a while. It's like .964 now

Crease, To your initial question, some stores take american dollars. Usually downtown or the more touristy parts of the GTA. Some do not. If you run into this, I believe any bank will exchange your American currency to Canadian.

As far as merch/apparel, price is and on par with any big city really. The thing to look out for is the sales tax . :eek:

Other than that, if you're a big fan of hockey, GTA is the place to visit. There is hockey stuff everywhere you turn.

Man, I remember the day when a Canadian stripper LOVED the US Dollar. These days, not so much.

My $ really went further back in college...

Canadian Dollars to One U.S. Dollar:

1998-12-01 1.5433

1999-01-01 1.5194

1999-02-01 1.4977

1999-03-01 1.5176

1999-04-01 1.4881

1999-05-01 1.4611

1999-06-01 1.4695

1999-07-01 1.4890

1999-08-01 1.4932

1999-09-01 1.4771

1999-10-01 1.4776

1999-11-01 1.4674

1999-12-01 1.4722

The year I studied up there, my tuition and living expenses were 25% off :)

You use loonies, twoonies, and thoonies.

Crease, To your initial question, some stores take american dollars. Usually downtown or the more touristy parts of the GTA. Some do not. If you run into this, I believe any bank will exchange your American currency to Canadian.

As far as merch/apparel, price is and on par with any big city really. The thing to look out for is the sales tax . :eek:

Other than that, if you're a big fan of hockey, GTA is the place to visit. There is hockey stuff everywhere you turn.

Most places accept US$ , but will accept it 1:1

as for Hockey stuff, the HOF is having a promotion for team days, Rangers day is Aug 5, show up in rangers stuff and get a discount as well.

• 2 weeks later...
When I go, I usually go to a bank and exchange it up there, you get whatever the rate is that day. I only transferred $100 over at a time. I also used my credit cards, that way I also didnt get screwed over with the exchange rate. I used a Visa and MasterCard,they didnt hit me with any fees, but this was also about 8 years ago the last time I went.

in canada they round up pennies. so if something comes to $1.62, they will round it up to $1.60. at one place some clerk gave me 3 cents in change and i didnt ever realize it until later. tried to give it to other stores but no one would take pennies. didnt know what to do with them so i just threw them out.

and every thing is more expensive up there, even at walmart. hockey gear is way more expensive than here. their hockey stores are amazing tho, worth just to go inside and look

Archived