• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Damn You Summer!

Shane Falco

Anyone else working a summer job that requires you to be outdoors all day?

I've been working for my dad doing landscaping and other odd jobs... I'm dying here D;

I know someone has to feel my pain.. and no sweaty Phil taking the subway don't count! :D

Actually, I work in a warehouse on Saturdays with my brother and my Dad, so I do feel your pain. I'm technically inside, but there's no air conditioning of any kind. It's a big, giant hot box.

I also walk 0.8 miles to and from the subway every single day from my apartment door to the subway entrance, so while I'm not working in it the way you are, I do feel some of your pain. My brother feels for you directly, though. He's an electrician, so he's working in this every single day, same as you.

I usually drive airconditioned cars and work inside, but I feel for Grace, who can't let off on her workout schedule because racing season is still going and she has to row dozens of miles a week (and sometimes a day) out on the water.

You know I'm just teasing. As for warehouses I can relate to that too. Sometimes it can be just as bad if not worse when the heat is trapped as opposed to being outside.

I hope he doesn't have to wear some sort of uniform. I feel for those people like cop even standing outside in this crap all day.

Fall can't come soon enough bro.

I usually drive airconditioned cars and work inside, but I feel for Grace, who can't let off on her workout schedule because racing season is still going and she has to row dozens of miles a week (and sometimes a day) out on the water.

She's an athlete? That's hot (don't kill me Jules)

At least she's by the water. She can keep cool inbetween.

She's an athlete? That's hot (don't kill me Jules)

At least she's by the water. She can keep cool inbetween.

Ha, no murderous feelings. I tell her the same thing all the time. :D

She's a rower at the elite level. She hopes she can make the US national team some time soon. It's not out of the realm, but competition within the US is huge. If she was Dutch, she'd be on our national team and an Olympian no questions, but in the US there's just a ton of great female rowers and it's harder to make it.

Anyone else working a summer job that requires you to be outdoors all day?

I've been working for my dad doing landscaping and other odd jobs... I'm dying here D;

I know someone has to feel my pain.. and no sweaty Phil taking the subway don't count! :D

Absolutely. I do valet at a racetrack. It's perfect while you're a student, even in grad school, because the season starts pretty much as soon as the school year ends, and is over as the school year starts. Problem is I got promoted; I'm a ticket seller now. Meaning I don't get the benefit of hopping in the air conditioned cars for two minutes while I park them, and sitting down. I walk up and down the incoming lanes, on the black asphalt in the middle of the day with the sun right over my head and the exhaust coming out of the cars, for about 8 hours straight. And at the end of the day I help bring up the cars when people are leaving. Problem is, bringing them up at the end of the day means they've been baking all day in the sun, and we're required to roll up the windows to avoid theft. So you go from 90 degree weather outside to 120 degree weather in the cars.

I can honestly say that, while there haven't been any record-setters yet (the track doesn't run the horses if it's too hot), this is the most consistently HOT summer I've had in a while. I'm constantly covered in a sheen of sweat, if I'm not dripping it. I can never understand how people actually enjoy this. Give me ice and a stick any day of the week. If I'm cold I can always throw on a blanket...if I'm hot I'm stuck that way.

At least you people have summer jobs

*runs away sobbing*

This.

There's always somewhere to work my dudes. It's all a matter of necessity and what you're willing to do to fulfill those needs.

Landscaping is not what I envisioned myself doing this summer. Especially at this point in my life. However, a door hasn't open yet in the area I'm searching in so I take whatever is available.

When you really need money, all that pickiness and whatever else goes out the window.

There's always somewhere to work my dudes. It's all a matter of necessity and what you're willing to do to fulfill those needs.

Landscaping is not what I envisioned myself doing this summer. Especially at this point in my life. However, a door hasn't open yet in the area I'm searching in so I take whatever is available.

When you really need money, all that pickiness and whatever else goes out the window.

its not that I'm picky, but pretty much everywhere i apply, they say no because im going back to school in August. It also doesn't help that my first job lied to me in saying there was a position when there wasn't one.

its not that I'm picky, but pretty much everywhere i apply, they say no because im going back to school in August. It also doesn't help that my first job lied to me in saying there was a position when there wasn't one.

That's just an example I threw out there. I wasn't labeling you as such. I'm sorry to hear about your first job. Keep at it, eventually something will turn up.

In the mean time if you don't mind manual labor contracts tend to look for temporary help, which seems like would fit for you.

Just a thought.

Used to work landscaping....nothing like manually ripping an acre of sod in 100 degree weather with Hudson valley humidity....oh....and hours of carrying bags of dirty mulch that sticks to your sweaty skin...that's awesome too.....ahhh..the memories...

Imagine having to wear a bullet proof vest, long pants, military boots, a 20 lb gun belt, undershirt, and uniform top in this lol

Imagine all that with out the nice air conditioned car, lol. Some of us do it on foot... For half the money, in the ghetto lol.

Archived