• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lightning Sign Cam Atkinson for 1 Year/$900k

Posted (edited)

Won’t lie, this pisses me off. This was totally fucking doable. To compete with no state, probably would have to up the dollars a little. But this was doable.

Dude. Drury. Come on. There are still bargains to be had and moves that can be made. This was one of them. If it works, great. If not, farewell.

Come on Drury. Shit. Perfect reclamation project. One year. Cheap. Looking to prove himself. And coming from a rival so even more reason to motivate himself.

This is the type of move he should have been all over. 

Edited by RichieNextel305

34 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, I would have, but it takes two to tango. Who's to say NYR didn't make a similar offer and he just said no?

What free agent is coming here at this point knowing what's going on right now?

• Keeps it 100 1

Yeah, that may have something to do with it. Or, they just really can't or don't want to spend the money because of what awaits next season. Something like this was reasonable, but a lot of these contracts going around are insane. Maybe Drury brings in Tarasenko. Maybe a trade with Trouba materializes and they'll get something of value back. A lot of guys are off the board, but we're only a couple if days into this thing.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Phil said:

I mean, I would have, but it takes two to tango. Who's to say NYR didn't make a similar offer and he just said no?

Didn’t Tampa Bay just disrespect Stamkos? The GM is beginning pressers discussing lowballing him instead of glamorizing the addition of Guentzel.

I get the situations different. But every organization has its set of black eyes here and there.

Edited by RichieNextel305

14 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Didn’t Tampa Bay just disrespect Stamkos? The GM is beginning pressers discussing lowballing him instead of glamorizing the addition of Guentzel.

I get the situations different. But every organization has its set of black eyes here and there.

I don't know what that has to do with your charge. I'm saying, it's entirely possible/plausible the Rangers had interest, or made an offer, and the player just said no. They apparently made offers to Drouin and Dillon, and both of those players rejected them, too.

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

I don't know what that has to do with your charge. I'm saying, it's entirely possible/plausible the Rangers had interest, or made an offer, and the player just said no. They apparently made offers to Drouin and Dillon, and both of those players rejected them, too.

I didn’t read they made offers to those guys. I read they were interested.

OK, you're right. But my point stands — I think you're making a lot of assumptions here (that the Rangers aren't doing anything) when it's entirely plausible they're trying and just being rebuffed by the players they're potentially showing in interest in.

I will STILL say that I am underwhelmed so far this off season BUT:

The more I sit here and think about this, the more likely it is that Drury is just looking further ahead than most of us are. Lots of players need re-upping over the next two years, UFA Market looks a lot better as of right now for next season than it did this season & I think he's just over not having any $$ to play with.

Even if we got rid of trouba and signed Guentzel which was not only best case scenario but most expensive scenario, they not only add another player on a long contract (albeit one that likely solves a big hole) but as far as keeping guys on the team going forward they are kind of back at square 1.

Im going to assume if Drury offered any contracts the terms were short (I think he even came out and said this generally). And for all we know he is still looking to make some hockey trades- offseason is far from over.

I said it in the offseason thread were not getting rid of trouba, panarin, zib and kreider- thats a pipe dream.

We dont know what really went on with Trouba. I wont touch on that again. We can be happy he didnt over pay in free agency yet again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, siddious said:

The more I sit here and think about this, the more likely it is that Drury is just looking further ahead than most of us are. Lots of players need re-upping over the next two years, UFA Market looks a lot better as of right now for next season than it did this season & I think he's just over not having any $$ to play with.

Even if we got rid of trouba and signed Guentzel which was not only best case scenario but most expensive scenario, they not only add another player on a long contract (albeit one that likely solves a big hole) but as far as keeping guys on the team going forward they are kind of back at square 1.

Im going to assume if Drury offered any contracts the terms were short (I think he even came out and said this generally). And for all we know he is still looking to make some hockey trades- offseason is far from over.

I said it in the offseason thread were not getting rid of trouba, panarin, zib and kreider- thats a pipe dream.

We dont know what really went on with Trouba. I wont touch on that again. We can be happy he didnt over pay in free agency yet again.

I think this is the Drury optimist take.

I think it's hard to argue that Cam Atkinson was closer to what we need on RW than Reilly Smith is, and that he'd have come cheaper. If Atkinson passed on the offer from NYR (who absolutely could have gotten him to price parity with zero tax Tampa) to go to Tampa, it raises some eyebrows for me.

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

I think this is the Drury optimist take.

I think it's hard to argue that Cam Atkinson was closer to what we need on RW than Reilly Smith is, and that he'd have come cheaper. If Atkinson passed on the offer from NYR (who absolutely could have gotten him to price parity with zero tax Tampa) to go to Tampa, it raises some eyebrows for me.

I dunno...

5'8. 28 points last season (I know Philly but still). 35 years old. Not exactly ideal.

As with most things I am sure the truth is somewhere in the middle. Doesnt seem like free agency went Drury's way but at the same time I dont think Guentzel was a realstic option. 

From what Phil said about Mercogliano confirming Trouba sabotaged a trade... I would guess this hamstrung him to make the moves he wanted too. Thats totally on him.

15 minutes ago, siddious said:

Logic wins. 🤝🏼

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I think the difference here is that Tampa is ready to move on and that page has been turned. 

This drama is still unfolding and is likely to unfold all next season. 

After playing in Columbus and Philly, I can easily see why he would rather be in Tampa just from a hockey perspective, and I can see why he wouldn't want to be here.