• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Juuse Saros to Sign 8 Year/$61.72 Million Extension With Predators; $7.74m AAV

UPDATE: Will sign Monday. 

The extension will be for $61.92 Million over 8 years, carrying a cap hit of $7.74 Million per season.

For those of you wondering about the oddness with the exact numbers, it apparently is because Saros wanted to incorporate his jersey number (74) into it. Thus, the wonky cap hit.

Edited by RichieNextel305

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Juuse Saros to Sign 8 Year/$60 Million Extension With Predators; $7.5m AAV
3 hours ago, Pete said:

And Shesty cries a little inside. 

Why?

.911 career playoff save % for Jussssiii in 16 playoff starts

.928 career playoff save % for Shesty in 44 playoff starts.

Shesty is probably feeling pretty good. 

• Keeps it 100 1

• RichieNextel305 changed the title to Juuse Saros to Sign 8 Year/$61.72 Million Extension With Predators; $7.74m AAV
5 hours ago, Keirik said:

Why?

.911 career playoff save % for Jussssiii in 16 playoff starts

.928 career playoff save % for Shesty in 44 playoff starts.

Shesty is probably feeling pretty good. 

I don't agree. 

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Shesterkin finished 4th in Vezina voting and Saros 5th.  They have been very comparable the last few seasons.  Based on Saros contract I would think Shesterkin would get around 8.5-9M a season?

Bingo. They're not just looking at playoff stats, and I'm not paying Shesty for 8 years for what he did in the playoffs after a very up and down season. That's why I'm glad he's OK waiting for the extension because if he starts cold his number goes down.

If he signs in July and has a cold streak there's going to be immediate buyer's remorse and calls for Drury to force him to waive his full NMC by declaring him the backup and forcing him to watch games on the ESPN app from the hallway and taking no money back in the trade so that we can sign Gibson or whatever the goalie equivalent of Tyler Bertuzzi is.

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Saros isn’t that close to Shesterkin’s league. He’s in that Hellebyuck and Sorokin bucket.

I don’t really see how this impacts Shesterkin’s ask.

Goaltending is fickle. Last year, and much of this year, Shesty was in the Sorokin/Helle bucket. Then this year Sorokin had a bad year, Helle collapsed in playoffs, and Shesterkin has the hottest player on the planet in the playoffs.

I'm not giving out a contract based on that, though.

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

Goaltending is fickle. Last year, and much of this year, Shesty was in the Sorokin/Helle bucket. Then this year Sorokin had a bad year, Helle collapsed in playoffs, and Shesterkin has the hottest player on the planet in the playoffs.

I'm not giving out a contract based on that, though.

I wouldn’t either but he’s got a Vezina to his name and ridiculously elite playoff numbers that span multiple years. I just don’t see it affecting his ask. Someone is going to pay him within spitting range of it if the Rangers don’t. What the Rangers should do is frequently not what they doo doo, typo intended

9 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Bet the Islanders are regretting the Sorokin contract after the season he just had.  He became the backup down the stretch and the playoffs.

I don't think they will. He's a good goalie. Roy and Varlamov have history. I think that had more to do with it.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Saros isn’t that close to Shesterkin’s league. He’s in that Hellebyuck and Sorokin bucket.

I don’t really see how this impacts Shesterkin’s ask.

It doesn't. Shesty twice has taken his team to the semi finals in his short career, both times largely on the back of his play.  He's in the top 3 goaltenders in the world, at worst, and already has been recognized as so with a Vezina. 

Soros at 7.74m per?  Shesty is likely at 9.74m per. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

It doesn't. Shesty twice has taken his team to the semi finals in his short career, both times largely on the back of his play.  He's in the top 3 goaltenders in the world, at worst, and already has been recognized as so with a Vezina. 

And during the regular season he's been anywhere between all world and sub 900. 

And yes, Saros is a.comparable. You just used it. If Saros is 7.75 and Shesty is 9.75 that's a long way from the 12+ being speculated as his ask. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

And during the regular season he's been anywhere between all world and sub 900. 

And yes, Saros is a.comparable. You just used it. If Saros is 7.75 and Shesty is 9.75 that's a long way from the 12+ being speculated as his ask. 

I guess you can call them comparable just because they play the same position, but one (Shesty) is on a different level than the other in my opinion, hence why he will command more money. I gave my opinion of his contract value here. I can see a wolrd where he becomes the highest paid goaltender though, especially since our teams' playoff success falls squarely on his shoulders in 2 of the last 3 playoffs. 

Shesty is a career .921 regular season goalie, and that's while being "all world and sub .900%."  Big picture holds a lot more weight than a few weeks here and there.  He's a .928 playoff goalie in a pretty good sample size.  Sometimes you just have to tip the cap to who he is, especially considering how much this team heavily depends on him to be the best player every night in big games.

While many of the guys on our team plays smaller in big games, shesty time after time plays the biggest.   

4 hours ago, Keirik said:

I call them comparable because they are comparable. 

And I'd rather pay Saros for who he is and improve the team, than pay Shesterkin.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I call them comparable because they are comparable. 

And I'd rather pay Saros for who he is and improve the team, than pay Shesterkin.

You're defnitely entitled to your opinion. 

• LMFAO 1