• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

There May Be Interest in Trouba If Rangers Retain Some Salary

Jacob Trouba has all the attributes the franchise wants in a captain but his game has slipped badly. Where Panarin, Zibanejad and Trocheck all still have full no-move clauses, Trouba’s no-move drops to a 15-team no-trade clause on July 1 and Drury, despite naming Trouba captain just two years ago, may want to try and find a new home for what could be an $8 million cap hit for his No. 5 defenseman beyond this season. I believe there would be some interest in Trouba, especially if the Rangers retained some salary, because he has only two years left on his deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5533069/2024/06/01/new-york-rangers-panthers-game-6/

Do whatever you gotta do to rid yourself of this guy.

We all may have our differences of opinion on other players and how this off-season should go. But I think it’s a pretty universal train of thought that we all believe that this has to be the end of the line for Trouba here.

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

Do whatever you gotta do to rid yourself of this guy.

We all may have our differences of opinion on other players and how this off-season should go. But I think it’s a pretty universal train of thought that we all believe that this has to be the end of the line for Trouba here.

This, 💯.

You can say what you want about the playoff failures of the other guys, but the fact of the matter is they earn to their paycheck during the regular season, and in the case of Mika and Kreider during the playoffs are spectacular defensively while they're choking on offense. 

There is one player who simply does not and handcuffs the team on the ice and on the books, and it's Trouba. You can try to hide a guy like him on the third pairing, but you can't hide that paycheck. 

He should be at the top of the list to be shown the door, and it's miles ahead of anyone else we have on our lists to move on from. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m already at the point where I’m wondering who replaces him as Captain. 😂

Trocheck and LAF gets an A 

Edited by phillyb
  • Like 2

I'm not concerned with retaining a couple of million to trade Trouba. I'm concerned with what they do with the cap space after. They could easily make the cap situation worse than it is for a lot longer than the 2 years they have to wait for the Trouba and Panarin contracts to expire. I'd rather hide Trouba on the 3rd pair unless there's a legitimate plan to wisely use the savings. If they're going out giving a 30 year old defenseman ala Brett Pesce or Brady Skjei a 5-6 year contract as the replacement, consider me very much against.

You’d have to replace the toughness, I guess. But I wouldn’t be going after a long-term guy there.

I said it in another thread, but I’d target Brendan Dillon. Big dude, tough as nails. Hits a ton. Has playoff experience. Most projections show him getting a 2-year deal worth around $3 Million per. If we can deal Trouba, I would look into him. You can hide him on a 3rd pair and he won’t really hurt you.

Posted (edited)

The cap situation is already clear, because we need it in two seasons or the team falls apart. So anything this year is one year space only. 

Edited by Valriera

23 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I'm not concerned with retaining a couple of million to trade Trouba. I'm concerned with what they do with the cap space after. They could easily make the cap situation worse than it is for a lot longer than the 2 years they have to wait for the Trouba and Panarin contracts to expire. I'd rather hide Trouba on the 3rd pair unless there's a legitimate plan to wisely use the savings. If they're going out giving a 30 year old defenseman ala Brett Pesce or Brady Skjei a 5-6 year contract as the replacement, consider me very much against.

Schneider needs a contract. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ve already said it in other threads.. if he’s still on the roster at training camp then drury has failed the off season. 

Be realistic. A buyout fucks the cap, and out of the 15 teams you can trade him to, somebody has to want him.

Sometimes when there is no deal it's because there's no deal to be had, and it's not the GM's fault. 

Sather once said he tries to trade Grachev for 3 years and nobody wanted him.

Edited by Pete

I'm not opposed to keeping him for one year, at which point the buyout will be cheaper and there will be relief in the first year, which will cooincide with the one year overlap between the Panarin contract and the first year of the Sheshty and LaF contracts.

Staal and Girardi played some pretty good hockey after we fans ran them out of town.  It's not implausible that he will improve next year.  For me it's all a matter of how much retention.  If someone would take him without retention for a used puck bag, I'd gladly chow on the puck bag that we receive.

3 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I'm not opposed to keeping him for one year, at which point the buyout will be cheaper and there will be relief in the first year, which will cooincide with the one year overlap between the Panarin contract and the first year of the Sheshty and LaF contracts.

Staal and Girardi played some pretty good hockey after we fans ran them out of town.  It's not implausible that he will improve next year.  For me it's all a matter of how much retention.  If someone would take him without retention for a used puck bag, I'd gladly chow on the puck bag that we receive.

Staal and Girardi never took up this type of cap room. Trouba is being paid like a 1 and is likely to be fighting for a roster spot.

He needs to be moved. Somehow, someway, it needs to happen. The man was on the ice for 17 of the last 35 goals scored against us. 

That isn’t a small sample size. And that isn’t by accident.

The style we are playing here isn’t suitable for him. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

This, 💯.

You can say what you want about the playoff failures of the other guys, but the fact of the matter is they earn to their paycheck during the regular season, and in the case of Mika and Kreider during the playoffs are spectacular defensively while they're choking on offense. 

There is one player who simply does not and handcuffs the team on the ice and on the books, and it's Trouba. You can try to hide a guy like him on the third pairing, but you can't hide that paycheck. 

He should be at the top of the list to be shown the door, and it's miles ahead of anyone else we have on our lists to move on from. 

Yup — not only does he not, he costs them games. Directly. He took ELEVEN penalties. No one else in the playoffs still has more than six.

He is unequivocally the number one candidate to go for almost any reason — culture change, cap relief, sacrificial lamb. Doesn't matter. He scores off the charts in all categories.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup — not only does he not, he costs them games. Directly. He took ELEVEN penalties. No one else in the playoffs still has more than six.

He is unequivocally the number one candidate to go for almost any reason — culture change, cap relief, sacrificial lamb. Doesn't matter. He scores off the charts in all categories.

Yeah I just don’t see a situation where Drury keeps him here.

I don’t see how you can be taken seriously about improving and taking another step and then turning around and keeping him here when it was obvious to anyone that he looked lost out there.

I truly think there’s a 0% chance he’s back next year. I think they find a taker with retention. And if not, I think they’d sooner buy him out then bring him back.

I tend to agree with Staple, though. Bad as Trouba's been for us, if the Rangers eat up to $2 million to get him to $6, with just two years left, I think there's a market here. I think someone bites, and it saves the Rangers from having to shoulder a $4 million dead charge in the same summer they need to re-sign Lafreniere, Miller, and Shesterkin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Be realistic. A buyout fucks the cap, and out of the 15 teams you can trade him to, somebody has to want him.

Sometimes when there is no deal it's because there's no deal to be had, and it's not the GM's fault. 

A trade is obviously preferable. 

he’s a bit of a joke at the moment though so I’m not sure how realistic that path is. 

let’s see what drury can drum up

• Believe 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Yup, regardless of if you do it this summer or next, too. It's a $4 million dollar hit in the same summer/off-season they need to re-sign Lafreniere, Miller, and Shesterkin. I don't think a buyout is viable at all. This feels like a scenario in which you have to trade him with minimal retention and add sweeteners to get whomever to agree to take on as much of his hit as possible.

• Bullseye 1

41 minutes ago, Phil said:

This is a great point-  he's the captain of a team that has completely fallen off the cliff now in the past 3 playoffs looking like they don't want to or can't compete with their opponents.  They already fired the coach and now it's time to fire the leadership in the room.

Trouba seems liek a great guy, someone I'm sure cares deeply about life outside of hockey and has a great community presence. But that does not win cups and I will absolutely say that he will make a nice addition to the Rangers Alumni once he is gone.

Who would potentially be on Trouba's No Trade List?  

Sharks? Ducks? Flames? Hawks? Utah? Jets? Blue Jackets? Canadiens? Senators? Thats 9, who would potentially be the other 6?  

Then out of the remaining teams who do you think would be interested in him, afford him (even if their was some rentention)?  Wings?  

There has to be a lot of variables to fall into place for Trouba to be moved, hopefully Drury can find a suitor.  

Oh this fucking guy's gotta go!  Eat the $2 million and trade this guy already!  Make Tro the Captain!  He deserves it!

I've been waiting for this thread!  I'm watching the game with Keith and the minute douchebag goes to throw the check and missed, I fucking said it right to him;  "Trouba just missed, watch this!".  Sure enough fucking Florida scores their 1st goal of the game with :48 seconds in the period!  @Keirik

I've had it with him...and I don't give a shit if he was injured or anything like that.  11 fucking penalties and a train wreck on D.

Bye!

11 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Who would potentially be on Trouba's No Trade List?  

Sharks? Ducks? Flames? Hawks? Utah? Jets? Blue Jackets? Canadiens? Senators? Thats 9, who would potentially be the other 6?  

Then out of the remaining teams who do you think would be interested in him, afford him (even if their was some rentention)?  Wings?  

There has to be a lot of variables to fall into place for Trouba to be moved, hopefully Drury can find a suitor.  

On his list to say no to? Every Canadian team. Then mix and match from there.

• Keeps it 100 1