• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Open Heart: a Tribeca Film on Henrik Lundqvist

Phil

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Doubly so in hindsight because he was never going to play that last year anyway, and imagine what they could have done with $8M in LTIR...

You can't necessarily say that as the heart condition was caught during the physical after he signed with the Capitals.

The Rangers medical staff had not found it the previous 14 years of his career, so there is no reason to believe that not buying him out would have given them the opportunity to put him on LITR for the last year of his contract.

It would have gone down either one of two ways if they did not buy him out:

1) Either kept the 3 headed goalie monster in place.

2) Or much more likely forced the trade of Georgiev who was essentially the back-up at that point, which in hindsight would have been the right move considering that he was essentially traded for low yield scratch lottery tickets.

25 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

You can't necessarily say that as the heart condition was caught during the physical after he signed with the Capitals.

The Rangers medical staff had not found it the previous 14 years of his career, so there is no reason to believe that not buying him out would have given them the opportunity to put him on LITR for the last year of his contract.

2) Or much more likely forced the trade of Georgiev who was essentially the back-up at that point, which in hindsight would have been the right move considering that he was essentially traded for low yield scratch lottery tickets.

I dunno how the rangers staff didn’t catch it’s that’s a discussion on its own that we likely can’t have because we’re not doctors and we don’t have all the facts.

but they should traded or released Georgiev.

maybe the fear was Hank staying longer than 1 season? I dunno 

36 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

9 minutes ago, siddious said:

I dunno how the rangers staff didn’t catch it’s that’s a discussion on its own that we likely can’t have because we’re not doctors and we don’t have all the facts.

but they should traded or released Georgiev.

maybe the fear was Hank staying longer than 1 season? I dunno 

He knew about his heart condition. He has a bicuspid aorta. I have that as well. 

His issue was that the condition was exacerbated by plaque around the valve, which you don't really know is a problem until it is. 

It wasn't that the Rangers staff missed it, it's that it wasn't a problem until he went to the Capitals.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I obviously remember the heart issue that started it all.  I don't, however, remember that he was ready to come back and then got sidelined a second time due to the pericarditis.  I wonder if he got any kind of new shots during that timeframe.  Weird...

backing up homer simpson GIF

Edited by SaveByRichter35

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I obviously remember the heart issue that started it all.  I don't, however, remember that he was ready to come back and then got sidelined a second time due to the pericarditis.  I wonder if he got any kind of new shots during that timeframe.  Weird...

backing up homer simpson GIF

• LMFAO 1

58 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Also strange you felt the need to go back seven months to find me say that when I said two days ago in the Nichusken thread.  Waiting a long time to hit me with that one, eh?  lol

30 second search for posts you made with the word "political", since I know you're usually someone asking why we need to make everything political haha. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Pete said:

He knew about his heart condition. He has a bicuspid aorta. I have that as well. 

His issue was that the condition was exacerbated by plaque around the valve, which you don't really know is a problem until it is. 

It wasn't that the Rangers staff missed it, it's that it wasn't a problem until he went to the Capitals.

Wait, you have a heart?

Him not being able to play for Washington is one of the biggest what-ifs for me. It was just time for him to leave the Rangers, and going to a team like that would've been something. His skills were definitely eroding a bit, but I wouldn't doubt him going there and excelling.

Edited by Sharpshooter

Even though I would have loved to have seen him win a cup, it's the only thing he was missing, I know what you mean. It also would have been puke-inducing seeing him in a Capitals jersey. It made me gag just seeing him in the practice uniforms. lol