• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Auston Matthews Becomes Fastest American-born Player to Score 50 (in 54)

Phil

Nobody touches him. He just does what he wants. A player like that has carte blanche in today's game. He should score 75. He's absolutely the perfect goal scoring machine for basketballized hockey.

40 minutes ago, Pete said:

Very on brand for the Leafs that he scores 80 and the team misses the playoffs... And then fans will whine that he didn't win the Hart. 

Oh the Twitter debates are already at a historically hysterical level between them and other teams fans who claim MacKinnon or Kucherov should win. I can’t imagine those debates slowing down the rest of the year. 

Panarin should win the Hart. 😝

But yeah, this is amazing accomplishment. Ovechkin will pass Gretzky at some point in the next couple of years. Matthews could definitely be the next guy that gets in the vicinity of Gretzky's and Ovechkin's insane career goal totals.

41 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Oh the Twitter debates are already at a historically hysterical level between them and other teams fans who claim MacKinnon or Kucherov should win. I can’t imagine those debates slowing down the rest of the year. 

In my mind you shouldn't win an MVP if your team misses the playoffs, and the fact that he plays on an absolutely loaded line, never mind loaded team from an offensive standpoint, needs to be taken into consideration. Same with McKinnon.

McDavid basically does it with Leon and a bunch of no ones. 

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

They're not going to miss the playoffs. We should be worried they drop to a WC and absolutely wax us in R1.

I'm not worried about getting waxed by that shit show.

The next stretch games will say a lot as they've simply beaten bad teams on this run. Vegas, Colorado, Vegas, Arizona, Rangers, Bruins, Buffalo, Bruins.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

In my mind you shouldn't win an MVP if your team misses the playoffs, and the fact that he plays on an absolutely loaded line, never mind loaded team from an offensive standpoint, needs to be taken into consideration. Same with McKinnon.

McDavid basically does it with Leon and a bunch of no ones. 

I always go back to baseball and the uproar when A-Rod won the award in 2003 on a horrendous Texas team. And I can’t disagree, as much of a fan as I was of him. The award is for most valuable. If your team isn’t winning games, no matter how big of a stat compiler as you are, you’re not that valuable. 

That said, can’t the same be said for Kucherov? He’s putting up wild numbers but Tampa is worse off than Toronto is right now.

If the season ended today, I would be looking at MacKinnon as MVP.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Really, just look at highlights from the 80s and, to some extent, the 90s, and there are tons of goals that would be deemed soft today.  Wayne, Mario and Brett would never have the stats they had back then today.  That makes Matthews season all the more amazing.  BTW, I'm done with the best American-born stats.  Back when there were few American players, it seemed relevant.  Not now.

1 minute ago, Sod16 said:

Really, just look at highlights from the 80s and, to some extent, the 90s, and there are tons of goals that would be deemed soft today.  Wayne, Mario and Brett would never have the stats they had back then today.  That makes Matthews season all the more amazing.  BTW, I'm done with the best American-born stats.  Back when there were few American players, it seemed relevant.  Not now.

It's more relevant now, if anything, because there are so many more American born players. And this guy gre up in Arizona, to boot.