• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Ranked #19 in U23 Rankings

https://theathletic.com/5252641/2024/02/12/rangers-nhl-prospect-pool-rankings-2024/?source=emp_shared_article

I stuck my neck out on Perreault last year and I remain bullish on him as one of the most talented and offensively intelligent prospects in the game. Eventually, when the points pile up like they have, and they happen while making the kinds of plays that he does, you can’t ignore them. You can say what you will about his skinny frame (though he has added substantial muscle, at least relatively speaking, in recent years). You can say what you will about perceived questions of skating (which I think lost the plot last year). You can say what you will about his linemates at the NTDP and BC, but it’s Perreault who holds the program’s single-season points record and it’s Perreault who leads the Eagles in scoring as a freshman.

I see a clever-beyond-belief facilitator and playmaker who plays the game with a light touch and a heady spatial awareness of not only where his teammates are, but where he is in the flow of play (and relative to defenders). 

I see a clever-beyond-belief facilitator and playmaker who plays the game with a light touch and a heady spatial awareness of not only where his teammates are, but where he is in the flow of play (and relative to defenders).  He’s got extremely quick hands to complement that mind for the game offensively and allow him to execute the plays he sees. He problem-solves his way out of trouble as well as just about anyone on this list, too. He’s got dexterous tools catching, tipping and redirecting pucks. He arrives into space at exactly the right times to make himself available and finish plays. His ability to bait defenders and open them up so that he can slide passes through their feet is so impressive. He gets shots off extremely fast and without bobbles in catch-and-release sequences. He plans things out on the ice at speed and then finds ways to make his desired play.

Perreault is the big time name here, but there's lots of positive for Othmann, Berard, Sykora, and Cuylle (who round out the top 5)

1 minute ago, siddious said:

I think they just have to be patient with Perrault. Let him acclimate to the AHL and the speed there before he even attempts it here. 

No matter when he leaves college, he should spend time in the AHL for sure.

The important thing to continue to pay attention to is the breakdown of his skating. He's never going to wow you and be dynamic and open ice, his game is going to be about small area play, holding onto the puck, deception and creativity and finding guys that nobody else even realizes are open.

You don't need to be the fastest guy to do that, it's when skating becomes an impediment to your game (Kakko) that you worry. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

No matter when he leaves college, he should spend time in the AHL for sure.

The important thing to continue to pay attention to is the breakdown of his skating. He's never going to wow you and be dynamic and open ice, his game is going to be about small area play, holding onto the puck, deception and creativity and finding guys that nobody else even realizes are open.

You don't need to be the fastest guy to do that, it's when skating becomes an impediment to your game (Kakko) that you worry. 

This sounds extremely familiar and is one type of player the Rangers have done decently well with in the past.

Yeah, he needs to be very Foxy. It's a hard skill to master, though. (Deception). It can come with a lot of growing pains. I listen to a lot of coaching podcasts, and coaches seem to be on the fence with developing that skill, having to balance it with not turning the puck over 20 times a night.

If I were a betting man, I don’t think Perreault is going to be a Ranger. I can only assume his trade value has sky rocketed, and I think he’s going to be used to get a really good NOW piece who is also still young and can stick around through the bulk of Lafreniere’s career.

9 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

If I were a betting man, I don’t think Perreault is going to be a Ranger. I can only assume his trade value has sky rocketed, and I think he’s going to be used to get a really good NOW piece who is also still young and can stick around through the bulk of Lafreniere’s career.

Drury doesn't seem to want to move drafted players. I also don't think they are looking at Lafreniere as a piece you build around.

They better find out quick what he can do on a line without Panarin and Trocheck.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Drury doesn't seem to want to move drafted players. I also don't think they are looking at Lafreniere as a piece you build around.

They better find out quick what he can do on a line without Panarin and Trocheck.

When I saw that comment about Drury favoring drafted players over picks, I immediately felt it was more in reference to the guys in Hartford right now who are basically ready to contribute next year or possibly, in a surprise move, some capacity this year (Othmann, Berard, Sykora), rather than Perreault.

I've been thinking about that all weekend. I want Lafreniere with Kreider-Zibanejad asap. Partly because I believe he's ready to assert what I think are line driving abilities on the ice no matter who the linemates are, and partly because I think if it works it will make the top 6 better in the interim. As much as the Panarin line can dominate offensively, I'd rather pursue two lines that can do it rather than one, and they need to start finding that out now in advance of the deadline. I don't get the sense that this is in Laviolette's box of imminent moves though.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

The Rangers are crazy deep on LW both on the pro level and in the prospect pool. It would not surprise me to see one of them dealt, but their depth is either very far away or not really top 6.

It's also of note that these higher level prospects rarely if ever get dealt in the "package for better player" situations at the TDL. 

17 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

The Rangers are crazy deep on LW both on the pro level and in the prospect pool. It would not surprise me to see one of them dealt, but their depth is either very far away or not really top 6.

It's also of note that these higher level prospects rarely if ever get dealt in the "package for better player" situations at the TDL. 

Yup. This is a big reason why. Even if you imagine for a second that these LW prospects can be lift and shifted to the right side, look at the young/future wingers in the org in a post-Panarin/Kreider world:

Lafreniere

Kakko

Cuylle

Othmann

Perreault

Berard

Sykora

Not to mention any draft picks or signings they make between now and then. They simply aren't keeping all of these wings.

Edited by BrooksBurner

15 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yup. This is a big reason why. Even if you imagine for a second that these LW prospects can be lift and shifted to the right side, look at the young/future wingers in the org in a post-Panarin/Kreider world:

Lafreniere

Kakko

Cuylle

Othmann

Perreault

Berard

Sykora

Not to mention any draft picks or signings they make between now and then. They simply aren't keeping all of these wings.

They're so deep on LW that they have half these guys playing RW in the pros. And for all intents and purposes, assuming Kakko is still here in September, isn't Othmann for Wheeler and Berard for Pitlick basically the move for 2024-25? 

Good problem to have, and a few of these guys (namely Perreault and Sykora) are still a few years out. Hell, if we get one year overlap between Panarin and Perreault, I'd be pleasantly surprised.