• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Neck Guards Are a Hot Topic Among Rangers' Players After Adam Johnson Death

Phil

Amid the tragic incident, discussions surrounding extra protective gear have picked up.

The Rangers have not had any official conversations about wearing neck guards, largely due to the fact that they are at the end of a road trip that concludes against the Jets on Monday, but it has been a hot topic in the locker room amongst players.

Some Rangers already wear cut resistant sleeves on the exposed areas of their bodies that aren’t covered by their gear, such as the wrists and ankles.

They have a sock-like texture to them with a compression fit.

https://nypost.com/2023/10/30/sports/adam-jonsons-tragic-death-sparks-talk-of-nhl-change/

28 minutes ago, Phil said:

It’s such a freak thing.

And a weird thing to think about because of that.

I didn’t see this incident nor would I watch it.

But I remember Clint Malarchuk.

Most horrific injury I’ve ever seen in sports.

If I played today competitively, I’d wear something on my throat and neck. 

1 minute ago, Sharpshooter said:

This is going to turn into a league-wide mandate isn't it? Or at the very least, you'll see more of them being worn.

I do believe throat protection is mandatory, at least for goalies. 
Varying types.

When a player or goalie catches a skate to the throat, it’s always a freak and totally unintentional accident.

100% of the time.

It’s a totally freak thing.

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

It’s such a freak thing.

And a weird thing to think about because of that.

I didn’t see this incident nor would I watch it.

But I remember Clint Malarchuk.

Most horrific injury I’ve ever seen in sports.

If I played today competitively, I’d wear something on my throat and neck. 

It is, but only really if you narrow it down to the neck only. A lot of guys have been cut by skates over the years. Boychuk nearly lost his eye/vision. Zach Redmond had his femoral artery sliced by a team mate in practice. Evander Kane had his wrist stepped on. In 2019 the Isles lost three skaters for portions of the year to various skate injuries including Clutterbuck and Cizikas.

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

I do believe throat protection is mandatory, at least for goalies. 
Varying types.

When a player or goalie catches a skate to the throat, it’s always a freak and totally unintentional accident.

100% of the time.

It’s a totally freak thing.

Right. I meant for skaters. I could see the league cracking down on that especially if more players speak up about it. I guess we'll see.

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

This is going to turn into a league-wide mandate isn't it? Or at the very least, you'll see more of them being worn.

It can't without the players agreeing to it. It'll have to be negotiated, just like helmets and visors were.

*****Graphic Video Disclaimer*****

This has happened before however the outcome hasn't been death. I can't imagine them mandating anything; I think it is inherent risk. It's sad and tragic but I think guys should have the ability to determine if they want to wear visors, cages, neck protection.

Edited by jsm7302

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

i dont see an issue with that.  Let every player at any level wear protection.  Hell, medieval knights wore full body metal armor and were fine. 

3 hours ago, Phil said:

It is, but only really if you narrow it down to the neck only. A lot of guys have been cut by skates over the years. Boychuk nearly lost his eye/vision. Zach Redmond had his femoral artery sliced by a team mate in practice. Evander Kane had his wrist stepped on. In 2019 the Isles lost three skaters for portions of the year to various skate injuries including Clutterbuck and Cizikas.

Yeah

It happens.

No one is negligent or careless .

Just an accident.

Not much you can do to prevent it.