• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Joe Thornton Announces Retirement

Unpopular opinion: always fucking hated him. Always.

He stole the MVP from Jagr in 2005-06. Great year, but he was on a Sharks team from November or December on that had massive expectations. The Rangers were expected to be dead last in the league. Jagr posted 54 goals and 69 assists. Thornton had a fucking ton of assists but I don’t even think he hit 30 goals. Still, to me, a joke. But even worse…

…..this!

Soft? Really? You never won a fucking thing. Ever. And I’m glad you never did after this, even on all those stacked Sharks teams. And you almost always stunk in the fucking playoffs. I loved Torts, but his response where he came out and basically called him a loser made me love him more. And I’m glad it stuck and lasted forever, as he went Cupless. Imagine calling a John Tortorella team that would eventually take on a nickname as the Black-and-Blueshirts because of their propensity for blocking shots and grinding out games soft. Like what?

Basically, the tl;dr version is as follows:

Joe Thornton, a scumbag, retired. With 0 Cups. And his beards stupid. 

Take care, douchebag.

Edited by RichieNextel305

Well. He was right. They played like pussies that game and parts of that season. 

I always liked the guy. Seemed like a good hearted dude. Great sense of humor.  Always put up points in the playoffs, but could never get it done. 

Congrats on retirement Jumbo Joe. 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Well. He was right. They played like pussies that game and parts of that season. 

I always liked the guy. Seemed like a good hearted dude. Great sense of humor.  Always put up points in the playoffs, but could never get it done. 

Congrats on retirement Jumbo Joe. 

What? We won that game like 5-2. We finished 1st in the East, and a few points out of winning the Presidents Trophy. And led the league in blocked shots. How were the 11-12 Rangers pussies?

13 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

What? We won that game like 5-2. We finished 1st in the East, and a few points out of winning the Presidents Trophy. And led the league in blocked shots. How were the 11-12 Rangers pussies?

They were consistently picking themselves up off the ice. Ryan Callahan was the little engine that could, until he couldn't.  Blocking shots doesn't make them tough. Compared to the rest of the conference... They were soft. 

The Sharks played some pretty physical teams on that road trip. In comparison. The Rangers WERE softer than the Flyers, Bruins, Devils, Redwings and I think the Preds. 

Thornton said that to call out his own team. The Sharks were kinda physical around that time, so to be beaten by a team that didn't do much battling or go into the corners was something Thornton was upset with his team about. 

Sure the Rangers lined up for a line brawl that season. It didn't change the fact that they weren't a team that crashed the net, screened the goalie,  battled in the corners or put fear of a physical battle into other teams. Fedotenko, Dubinsky and Callahan were the teams top "physical " player that played in the top 9. 

I dunno. I don't think of those Ranger teams as tough. Rugged? Big hearted? Gutsy? Ok. 

Soft can be attributed to them in certain ways. Gaborik, Richard's, Stepan, Hagelin, Anisimov.... Soft man. Soft. 

He later went on to clarify that he was referring to that game as a soft game on the schedule, and being that the Rangers were 3-6 at that point of the season, and the Sharks were 6-3 and just won 5 straight, you can see why he would feel that way. 

It had nothing to do with toughness.

He's still a Hall of Famer and one of the best players ever to lace them up, regardless of one poorly worded comment.