• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Shane Pinto to Be Suspended 41 Games for Violating NHL's Gambling Rules

Phil

in the article it says he did not bet on NHL games.

These gambling rules are getting ridiculous. Why can't an NHL player throw some money on an NFL game? Is a player from the Ottawa Senators getting inside info on some random NFL teams? 

For an industry that is diving head first into gambling commercials, in-game sponsorships, and being broadcast on networks that have shows dedicated to gambling, it just comes across as hypocritical. The NHL app even gives you the option to show odds in their own app, so some moral high-ground about betting doesn't make sense to me.

I fully understand saying NHL players should not bet on NHL games. The possibility of collusion/inside info is real. This investigation apprently went on for months, so I assume Pinto probably threw some money on MLB games this summer. Are we really worried about players in the offseason (also while he wasnt under contract) wanting to bet the over in a SF Giants Milwaukee Brewers game in August?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

First he holds out, and then this. lol Geez.

the article notes that negoatiations were paused due to the investigsation and that Pinto 'appreciates the organizations secrecy about the investigation' so i think its less of a hold-out and more of a lets pause while this gets figured out' kind of thing.

9 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

These gambling rules are getting ridiculous. Why can't an NHL player throw some money on an NFL game? Is a player from the Ottawa Senators getting inside info on some random NFL teams? 

For an industry that is diving head first into gambling commercials, in-game sponsorships, and being broadcast on networks that have shows dedicated to gambling, it just comes across as hypocritical. The NHL app even gives you the option to show odds in their own app, so some moral high-ground about betting doesn't make sense to me.

I fully understand saying NHL players should not bet on NHL games. The possibility of collusion/inside info is real. This investigation apprently went on for months, so I assume Pinto probably threw some money on MLB games this summer. Are we really worried about players in the offseason (also while he wasnt under contract) wanting to bet the over in a SF Giants Milwaukee Brewers game in August?

I can only assume that he placed some bets while at an Ottawa Senators facility which may not be allowed.   A bunch of NFL players got suspended for that.  

might make sense. Still, its exccessive. If team facilities can have DraftKings and Fanduel logos blasted all over them, why can't a guy place an over bet from his locker.

Of course there may be more to this story and if more comes out I'm willing to change my mind based on new info, but surface level it just seems wild to me

16 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

I can only assume that he placed some bets while at an Ottawa Senators facility which may not be allowed.   A bunch of NFL players got suspended for that.  

Is he even under contract to the Sens currently?

38 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

If that's the case, BBB I think that's kinda wild.  I could see if he bet against his own team like a Paul Crewe...or even if he bet on other NHL teams, then yeah fine...suspend away.

But if it's a bet on the NFL or something totally unrelated, yeah.  That's not right.  Like you said, the NHL promotes gambling with their sponsors.

Hopefully he can appeal this, and get back to playing.  This just sounds like the NHL trying to make an example out of the kid.....for what's looking like the WRONG reason.  Unless there's more to this, and he actually did do something fucked up.

41 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

might make sense. Still, its exccessive. If team facilities can have DraftKings and Fanduel logos blasted all over them, why can't a guy place an over bet from his locker.

Of course there may be more to this story and if more comes out I'm willing to change my mind based on new info, but surface level it just seems wild to me

I'm wondering if he didn't place a bet on a game but maybe placed a futures bet, or a prop. Maybe he thought betting on game outcomes was different. 

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Sens lucked out big time here.

I'd assume they knew what they were doing and a) saved on cap and b) asked the league to allow him to serf his suspension like this.

But who knows.

But the whole "don't bet on anything, but promote betting" thing is more than silly.

About the only sports related content that doesn't advertise betting these days is the hockey guy on Youtube. lol

I can't watch a game without being bombarded by gambling pitches.  They can't even wait for the 90 second breaks.  They've got the Great One, chief ambassador for the sport, pushing gambling interests.  And this guy gets a bigger suspension than anyone has gotten since the 70s, much longer than for violent dangerous intentional acts.  

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

I can't watch a game without being bombarded by gambling pitches.  They can't even wait for the 90 second breaks.  They've got the Great One, chief ambassador for the sport, pushing gambling interests.  And this guy gets a bigger suspension than anyone has gotten since the 70s, much longer than for violent dangerous intentional acts.  

So many good points there. Unless they are betting on NHL games, let it go. They are trying to set a precedent here so the integrity of the game is never in question. This will certainly be tackled in the next CBA, I'm sure.

• Keeps it 100 1