• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Work Boots

The Dude

So, I'm a tradesman.  I work (mostly)on mostly commercial construction sites. I'm on my feet all day, in every weather condition and on hard floors. 

I typically wear Redwing boots. I'll try something new every now and then, but always had the best luck with comfort and weight with various styles from Redwing. 

Problem is. Their quality lever has dropped off over the last few years.  $250 boots used to last me 2+ years.  Now they're barely lasting a year. 

Any boot wearers have any recommendations?

I see Brunt advertised everywhere,  but never see them in the field. 

I've tried Danners. Not impressed.  I felt like I was walking on wood slats tied to a boot. Longbass break in period and still no give. 

Luckily I am able to send my current pair of Redwings in for a warranty claim, but I'm tired of spending money on boots. 

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

So, I'm a tradesman.  I work (mostly)on mostly commercial construction sites. I'm on my feet all day, in every weather condition and on hard floors. 

I typically wear Redwing boots. I'll try something new every now and then, but always had the best luck with comfort and weight with various styles from Redwing. 

Problem is. Their quality lever has dropped off over the last few years.  $250 boots used to last me 2+ years.  Now they're barely lasting a year. 

Any boot wearers have any recommendations?

I see Brunt advertised everywhere,  but never see them in the field. 

I've tried Danners. Not impressed.  I felt like I was walking on wood slats tied to a boot. Longbass break in period and still no give. 

Luckily I am able to send my current pair of Redwings in for a warranty claim, but I'm tired of spending money on boots. 

Have you tried Bates/5.11 or some other Police boots? They are made to wear 12+ hours at a time with comfort and protection in mind. 

galls has a ton of them. I used to wear Thorogoods. A bit more hardcore Police looking but they were so comfortable after about a week of wearing. 
https://www.galls.com/thorogood-men-s-8-side-zip-jump-boot?PMWTNO=000000000003116&PMSRCH=

Under Arnoir looks like they make some solid pairs as well. 

also, it looks like Dicks sells a few Bates Police boots which might be good to try on with easy returns if not happy. Also, embrace the side zipper if you haven't yet. 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/mens-boots?pageNumber=0&filterFacets=X_BRAND%3ABates

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Have you tried Bates/5.11 or some other Police boots? They are made to wear 12+ hours at a time with comfort and protection in mind. 

galls has a ton of them. I used to wear Thorogoods. A bit more hardcore Police looking but they were so comfortable after about a week of wearing. 
https://www.galls.com/thorogood-men-s-8-side-zip-jump-boot?PMWTNO=000000000003116&PMSRCH=

Under Arnoir looks like they make some solid pairs as well. 

also, it looks like Dicks sells a few Bates Police boots which might be good to try on with easy returns if not happy. Also, embrace the side zipper if you haven't yet. 

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/f/mens-boots?pageNumber=0&filterFacets=X_BRAND%3ABates

A guy I used to work with swore by police boots. Yet, he'd have a different pair every 5 months. I think he really just wanted to be a cop...  It's definitely intriguing. 

I'll never embrace the side zipper nor the slip on style of boots though. LOL. 

I have yet to try Thorogoods. I think that will be my next try, despite lack of local carriers that I'm aware of. I wear wides,  so that is typically a set back.

Under armor and Nike get horrible reviews for how long they last. 

Thanks for the reply. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

A guy I used to work with swore by police boots. Yet, he'd have a different pair every 5 months. I think he really just wanted to be a cop...  It's definitely intriguing. 

I'll never embrace the side zipper nor the slip on style of boots though. LOL. 

I have yet to try Thorogoods. I think that will be my next try, despite lack of local carriers that I'm aware of. I wear wides,  so that is typically a set back.

Under armor and Nike get horrible reviews for how long they last. 

Thanks for the reply. 

If your buddy was changing every 5 months i5 definitely was more for style reasons rather than them being worn too much.

I wear wides too. The Thorogoods I have are wides and have never had an issue. My last pair lasted about a year and a half or so but I kept wearing them anyway since they were so comfortable. In fact, I actually have a nearly brand new pair that I never got around to use because of retiring unexpectedly. Not the lightest of boots though.

side zipper is amazing. You pie up the laces one time to exactly where your comfort level is and then never have to tie or untie again. I've never had them unzip or even remotely give a problem. 

• Like 1