• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

ESPN Creating an NHL Version of NFL Redzone Called Frozen Frenzy

Phil

How the hell are you going to see every goal, every power play and every hit?  like with Red Zone?  At least w/ Red Zone there is time to switch to different games after every play b/c of the 40 second play clock,  and when a team is inside the 20 they focus on that game.  What is Frozen Frenzy going to do, switch games every time a team reaches the offensive zone.....Sounds like a seizure will happen.  Not confident in ESPN at all.  

• Keeps it 100 1

I was thinking about that too. NFL is a lot more predictable than hockey, but I don't think they'll be able to show you everything live. They may switch to powerplay situations, empty net situations, OT, but for goals that weren't predictable, they'll show you a replay. 

"And we'll cut to the Chicago game where Bedard scored his third of the night a few moments ago. We'll show you that and pick it up live." 

Or some shit like that. 

Big hit while they're showing the Chicago game? "Let us show you a huge hit Trouba threw a few moments ago in the Rangers game. They're losing terribly, but goodness Trouba loves to throw the body."

Also, let's be honest, the only reason NFL RedZone is popular is because of betting and fantasy. There are people who place real-time bets on whether or not a team will score a touchdown or a field goal on a red zone entry, that's the attraction. 

It's just not the same in a hockey scenario. 

16 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

How the hell are you going to see every goal, every power play and every hit?  like with Red Zone?  At least w/ Red Zone there is time to switch to different games after every play b/c of the 40 second play clock,  and when a team is inside the 20 they focus on that game.  What is Frozen Frenzy going to do, switch games every time a team reaches the offensive zone.....Sounds like a seizure will happen.  Not confident in ESPN at all.  

This is what I'm thinking.

The NFL is built on sequential plays that last 5-10 seconds a piece. Anything interesting that happens will happen in that 5-10 second window. The time between plays is generally at least 30 seconds up to the 40 second play clock, and it's safe to switch away from it so you can show 3 or 4 plays from other games in the meantime.

The NHL is built on continuous play and no clear separation of when to cut out. In one second, a team could be going back to fetch a PK dump on the PP, and three seconds later a rush up ice can happen for a goal, but generally a PK dump is boring and nobody wants to sit there watching it. Stuff happening in the NHL is not predictable in the same way.

Game switching for hockey can be a fun show, but to brand it as anything like NFL RedZone is probably setting it up for failure. It's going to be a lot slower pace and a lot less climactic, but I could see it having appeal for hockey fans whose team isn't currently playing, or who don't really have a team and just like watching the sport in general.

On 10/8/2023 at 3:22 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

This will be a shit show.  10/10 will not watch lol

I’ll preface this by saying I don’t ever watch football but I’m at a work conference this week and Sunday my coworker had red zone on and I couldn’t stand it. Was so annoying, rather just watch one game. 

44 minutes ago, siddious said:

I’ll preface this by saying I don’t ever watch football but I’m at a work conference this week and Sunday my coworker had red zone on and I couldn’t stand it. Was so annoying, rather just watch one game. 

I do watch football, though mostly college.  I also hate RZ channel.  I don't wanna watch a bunch of scoring attempts.  I want to watch FOOTBALL.  I also do not play fantasy, nor do I bet, so I have 0 reasons to watch that shit.  I get the draw for those who do participate in those though.

It's pretty cool for if you're in the office pool pick 'em all's and if you bet on a couple of teasers.   I hear you on watching one game though.   A team fan probably won't like all the flipping around.  It's like you need Dramamine to avoid all the changing of the games.

• 2 weeks later...

So this was awesome and I hope ESPN/NHL does it more often. I don't know why it couldn't be done on most Saturdays when there are 10-12 games. And it could be super interesting around playoff time when teams may be jockeying for position.

It was so nice that it was only hockey - a mix of highlights and live look-ins - with minimal downtime. Plus, there was no having to worry about blackouts.

• Applause 1

22 hours ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

So this was awesome and I hope ESPN/NHL does it more often. I don't know why it couldn't be done on most Saturdays when there are 10-12 games. And it could be super interesting around playoff time when teams may be jockeying for position.

It was so nice that it was only hockey - a mix of highlights and live look-ins - with minimal downtime. Plus, there was no having to worry about blackouts.

Good to know. Usually I cringe when I see 'NHL' and 'ESPN' in the same sentence, but glad to see they are utilizing something like this.

I don't mind it but having every team play is a nightmare for fantasy leagues. I get that it's not a huge priority for the NHL but they should embrace that if they are going to embrace betting as much. At least have a more semi balanced schedule on other days instead of 32 teams playing one day and 2 on other days.