• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mika Zibanejad Day-to-day With Upper-body Injury

Phil

Mika Zibanejad, the team's reigning MVP and No. 1 center, left the ice at the MSG Training Center hunched over in pain and headed straight to the locker room. He may have been hit by a wayward stick and appeared to be clutching his right arm. The 30-year-old did not return with what the Rangers are calling an upper-body injury.

“It just happened, so he’s day-to-day right now," head coach Peter Laviolette said when asked about the severity.

"It can happen anywhere. It’s a fast game," Laviolette said. "It was competitive, guys were physical, there were puck battles, so there was some contact."

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/09/24/mika-zibanejad-exits-ny-rangers-scrimmage-with-upper-body-injury/70953672007/

32 minutes ago, CCCP said:

I think there will be lots of injuries this season, something we haven’t seen much of in the last couple of seasons due to more physical style. 

Agreed. More aggressive/physical style = more injuries/more often.

Really gonna put the team's depth to the test. But this also explains why Drury went out and signed so many vets to dirt cheap deals, IMO. I think he completely understands this is a natural byproduct of the change in style.

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agreed. More aggressive/physical style = more injuries/more often.

Really gonna put the team's depth to the test. But this also explains why Drury went out and signed so many vets to dirt cheap deals, IMO. I think he completely understands this is a natural byproduct of the change in style.

The "Method to the Madness"....good call, Dru!

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Good thing we a lot of depth at center, eh?

Seriously. Maybe they should try Lafrenière and Othmann at center too. They have zero depth and one injury to a center can debilitate this team. They're already down a center WITH Chytil slotted in there.  

• LMFAO 1

Sounds like best case scenario for the injury, doesn't sound too serious. Maybe he can be ready by opening night or only miss a couple of games at worst. Get the injury bug out of the way now. That is a good point, though, that we may expect more because of the change in playstyle. Overall we've been pretty lucky with injuries the last couple of years.

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Seriously. Maybe they should try Lafrenière and Othmann at center too. They have zero depth and one injury to a center can debilitate this team. They're already down a center WITH Chytil slotted in there.  

Laff doesn't show me enough to switch to center.  I think we'll be lucky if he coverts to a RW, if at all.  We'll get a center at the deadline to take into the playoffs...That's what I'm thinking.

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Laff doesn't show me enough to switch to center.  I think we'll be lucky if he coverts to a RW, if at all.  We'll get a center at the deadline to take into the playoffs...That's what I'm thinking.

HEY! Fresh start. Remember? Fresh donuts too. Lafrenière is a pass first guy and is supposed to have good vision. The only thing that makes me think he couldn't handle center, is that he doesn't like to have the puck on his stick. That & the fat and out of shape thing along with the bad skating and lack of speed. 

Othmann better get healthy quick, because his opportunity to out work Lafrenière is going to be a small window. I'd rather see it now in camp than guess if he's close later in the season. The head to head competition would show us either hiw bad Lafrenière is, or how far away Othmann is. All Othmann has to do is look better than Lafrenière and the ball should start to roll on moving on from fatso. 

Best case scenario is they both play awesome.  Worst case would be, they both stink. 

• VINNY! 1

17 hours ago, The Dude said:

HEY! Fresh start. Remember? Fresh donuts too. Lafrenière is a pass first guy and is supposed to have good vision. The only thing that makes me think he couldn't handle center, is that he doesn't like to have the puck on his stick. That & the fat and out of shape thing along with the bad skating and lack of speed. 

Othmann better get healthy quick, because his opportunity to out work Lafrenière is going to be a small window. I'd rather see it now in camp than guess if he's close later in the season. The head to head competition would show us either hiw bad Lafrenière is, or how far away Othmann is. All Othmann has to do is look better than Lafrenière and the ball should start to roll on moving on from fatso. 

Best case scenario is they both play awesome.  Worst case would be, they both stink. 

Nope, you're right Dude man!!!  Clean slate for all.  Good catch!!

Nothing I would love to see more than our #1 pick get it all together this season, and make us all eat shit!!  😃

• Believe 1

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Nope, you're right Dude man!!!  Clean slate for all.  Good catch!!

Nothing I would love to see more than our #1 pick get it all together this season, and make us all eat shit!!  😃

It's hard to believe, but I do too. It's not like I WANT to continue being disappointed.  They really need for him to become something special.  Kakko too. I just have more faith in Kakko becoming better than average.  Seems like there's more there. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It's hard to believe, but I do too. It's not like I WANT to continue being disappointed.  They really need for him to become something special.  Kakko too. I just have more faith in Kakko becoming better than average.  Seems like there's more there. 

I love Kakko.  I really like watching his "Jagr" impersonations out there.  He'll be a good one....This is his year!