• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Did the Rangers Make a Mistake Letting Mats Zuccarello Go?

I know that Zucc was always a fan favorite.

Saw a post on IG mentioning that he is entering his 15th season and coming off his two most productive years, so I had to go take a look and sure enough he has only gotten better with age. When the Rangers parted company with him it bummed me out, but knew it was the right move as players with his size and stature tend to break down as they get into their 30's and he was looking for term. When he signed that 6M deal with Minnesota, I thought "wow they are going to regret that deal". Looking up those stats, has me second guessing that now.

I know hindsight is always 20/20, but considering all of the problems that the Rangers have had at right wing, did they make a mistake letting him go and not trying to negotiate a home town discount?  

• Like 1

Just now, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I know that Zucc was always a fan favorite.

Saw a post on IG mentioning that he is entering his 15th season and coming off his two most productive years, so I had to go take a look and sure enough he has only gotten better with age. When the Rangers parted company with him it bummed me out, but knew it was the right move as players with his size and stature tend to break down as they get into their 30's and he was looking for term. When he signed that 6M deal with Minnesota, I thought "wow they are going to regret that deal". Looking up those stats, has me second guessing that now.

I know hindsight is always 20/20, but considering all of the problems that the Rangers have had at right wing, did they make a mistake letting him go and not trying to negotiate a home town discount?  

He plays with Kaprizov. 

• Bullseye 1

51 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

No. The RW hole was created by the mistake of letting a 26 y.o. Buchnevich go. Not a 32 year old Zuccarello.

Plural not singular; holes.

I don't buy the entire "because because he plays with Kaprizov that is why he puts up the numbers he does" argument. He put up this kind of production before he arrived in Minnesota, so you can't draw a straight line like you could to someone like Ryan Strome whose production was heavily affected by playing with Panarin.

Edited by MuddyInTheMiddle

20 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I don't buy the entire "because he plays with because he plays with Kaprizov that is why he puts up the numbers he does" argument. He put up this kind of production before he arrived in Minnesota, so you can't draw a straight line like you could to someone like Ryan Strome whose production was heavily affected by playing with Panarin.

I agree. I do think he’s setting career highs in part because of Kaprizov, but he’s always been about a 60-65 point player so it’s not like he was devoid of a top line complimentary skillset.

2 hours ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I don't buy the entire "because because he plays with Kaprizov that is why he puts up the numbers he does" argument. He put up this kind of production before he arrived in Minnesota, so you can't draw a straight line like you could to someone like Ryan Strome whose production was heavily affected by playing with Panarin.

He was only once over 60 points and once over 20 goals prior to Kaprisov arriving in Minnesota.

He was about 2/3 of a point per game prior, roughly.

Since Kap came up, he’s basically a point per game and has twice exceeded 20 goals.

It’s Kap. 
That doesn’t take anything away from Zucc. And obviously they have very good chemistry and gel well together.

But I don’t know that he’d produce like that if he wasn’t playing with Kap. 

• Bullseye 1

Re-signing him wasn't even considered at the time.  Given his age and the status of the team in rebuild, it wasn't a close calle.

If he has thrived with the Thrill, he might also have with Bread, provided there was a third linemate willing to shoot.

• VINNY! 1

9 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Re-signing him wasn't even considered at the time.  Given his age and the status of the team in rebuild, it wasn't a close calle.

If he has thrived with the Thrill, he might also have with Bread, provided there was a third linemate willing to shoot.

He could potentially do well with Panarin, yes. But as you said, they’d need a finisher between them. 

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

What they did was make two mistakes on one move. The first mistake was in letting him go to begin with. The second mistake was letting him go for what they did. Compounding mistakes which is why Drury deserves to get shit on for it.

No. 

6 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

He was only once over 60 points and once over 20 goals prior to Kaprisov arriving in Minnesota.

He was about 2/3 of a point per game prior, roughly.

Since Kap came up, he’s basically a point per game and has twice exceeded 20 goals.

It’s Kap. 
That doesn’t take anything away from Zucc. And obviously they have very good chemistry and gel well together.

But I don’t know that he’d produce like that if he wasn’t playing with Kap. 

Yes. Still don't buy it though.

It goes w/o saying that top tier players are going to produce w/ elite players. Kreider will simply score more this upcoming season if he has Zibenejad as his center instead of Trochek.

However, draw me a straight line that shows where if Zuc gets dropped down to that 2nd line Minnesota RW spot his production falls off of a cliff skating with Boldy and Erikson Ek.  

2 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Ok, well I’d rather keep near-PPG wingers entering their prime at the value he came in at. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, but being against that is a weird one. Somehow it got normalized on this board. Groupthink effect I guess.

They had to move him and it wouldn't matter if Kakko didn't stink. But they still undersold. 

• Phil changed the title to Did the Rangers Make a Mistake Letting Mats Zuccarello Go?
25 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Yes. Still don't buy it though.

It goes w/o saying that top tier players are going to produce w/ elite players. Kreider will simply score more this upcoming season if he has Zibenejad as his center instead of Trochek.

However, draw me a straight line that shows where if Zuc gets dropped down to that 2nd line Minnesota RW spot his production falls off of a cliff skating with Boldy and Erikson Ek.  

Look man.

Good bless Zucc.

I love him.

But he’s having the best seasons of his career, statistically speaking, at ages 34-36.

I love the guy and I think he brings a lot to the table.

And I always felt him an underrated player. All around in fact.

But if you don’t see that he’s simply a good to very good player who has the appropriate complimentary skills to an absolutely ELITE player in Kaprisov, then I don’t know what to tell you.

He’s the right Robin to Kaprisov’s Batman.

Could he do that elsewhere if he played with another elite player?

Sure.

Zucc at his best with the Rangers was when he played with Nash and Brassard, and those two were going well.