• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers' Hockey Operations Team Gets a Familiar Face-lift: Hire Paul Mara, Andy Hosler; Promote Ryane Clowe

Phil

In addition to hiring Hockey Hall of Famer Angela Ruggiero as a hockey operations adviser, which was first reported by The Post on Thursday, the Rangers also have brought in Paul Mara, a former defenseman for the team, as a player development assistant. 

Mara most recently was head coach of the Boston Pride of the Premier Hockey Federation.

Since 2016, Mara also has been an assistant coach for the U.S. national women’s team, which he helped guide to an Olympic gold medal in 2018. 

After the Rangers dismissed longtime trainer Jimmy Ramsay for a non-performance-related reason, they named Andy Hosler as the new head athletic trainer. 

Hosler, who most recently spent two seasons at Michigan State in the same role, will reunite with Rangers head coach Peter Laviolette.

One-time Ranger Ryane Clowe also has been promoted to co-senior adviser to president and general manager Chris Drury. He will serve in his new role alongside Mike Barnett, who has been with the organization since 2008. 

https://nypost.com/2023/08/25/the-rangers-operation-team-gets-a-familiar-face-lift/

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I’m of the mind that I don’t really care why Ramsay was dismissed. I don’t know that he was even really that special and worth the hype he got. I’m sure he’s good enough at the job, but he may have had an approach that didn’t align with the current org’s direction.

Nah. You don't get the assignments he gets unless you're a real pro.

Even last season, the Rangers lost 51 games due to injury, next closest was Calgary at 105. It's just an odd time to fire him, if nothing else.

16 minutes ago, Pete said:

Nah. You don't get the assignments he gets unless you're a real pro.

Even last season, the Rangers lost 51 games due to injury, next closest was Calgary at 105. It's just an odd time to fire him, if nothing else.

Short-term health vs. long-term health is also a thing. Yeah, he might be great for a quick fix but that could lead to compounding issues. Just because you can send a guy back out on the ice doesn’t mean you necessarily should. Lindgren most recently comes to mind with that.

49 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Short-term health vs. long-term health is also a thing. Yeah, he might be great for a quick fix but that could lead to compounding issues. Just because you can send a guy back out on the ice doesn’t mean you necessarily should. Lindgren most recently comes to mind with that.

They said it wasn't performance related. I don't see the point in trying to act like he wasn't as good as he was.

The team has moved on, and we should too, I do agree with that.