• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Elias Pettersson Won't Discuss Extension With Canucks During Season

Phil

It’s no secret that Vancouver Canucks superstar center Elias Pettersson is heading into 2023-24 without a contract extension, hurdling toward restricted free agency next summer. The 24-year-old Swede spoke to Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman yesterday from Stockholm, saying he’s more concerned about his on-ice performance next season than spending energy working out an extension.

I’m not in a rush to sign. I mean, I’ve got one more year left over there and I don’t want to rush into anything because I still don’t know myself if it’s going to be a short-term [deal] or long-term [deal], but it’s probably going to be my biggest contract so far so I don’t want to stress anything. 

Pettersson’s agent, Pat Brisson, further confirmed to Sportsnet’s Iain MacIntyre that he would not negotiate an extension with the Canucks until the end of the 2023-24 season:

The main focus will be for him to perform. It’s more that than anything else. Both sides can evaluate. Let’s sit down at the end of the year and explore where we’re at.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/08/elias-pettersson-wont-discuss-extension-with-canucks-during-season.html

--

I can hear your excitement from here, @Drew a Penalty!

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

I’d move anyone not named Fox for him. He’s that good.

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

It's also Vancouver. You can probably get him for like Laugh, Trocheck, and a 2nd-round pick.

See, now THIS is a guy we should go after...Not fucking Stamkos!

You guys know the deal on this guy!

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

See, now THIS is a guy we should go after...Not fucking Stamkos!

You guys know the deal on this guy!

He puts up another season like last season and he is getting 11-12 million X 8 easily. Smart on his part; unless Vancouver's offers look like that plus, why would he consider when they are not even close to being competitive.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

He puts up another season like last season and he is getting 11-12 million X 8 easily. Smart on his part; unless Vancouver's offers look like that plus, why would he consider when they are not even close to being competitive.

So it's basically, "Hey Trouba, pack yo shit, fella!!"

• 4 months later...

As of today, top ten in points.  And Canucks and Avalanche are my favorite teams to watch when Rangers aren’t on.  Other than the Kuzmenko - Tocchet drama, not much not to like about Vancouver.

• Keeps it 100 1

11 hours ago, fletch said:

As of today, top ten in points.  And Canucks and Avalanche are my favorite teams to watch when Rangers aren’t on.  Other than the Kuzmenko - Tocchet drama, not much not to like about Vancouver.

JT....I agree.  Those guys are rolling right now.

JT Miller was my favorite Ranger for a long time, love the way he played. Great vision, played a really hard and grinding game that came naturally to him, not like Callahan who used to have to use his body as a missile. Great shot. Just a really complete player. Just needed to get his head together. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

14 minutes ago, Pete said:

JT Miller was my favorite Ranger for a long time, love the way he played. Great vision, played a really hard and grinding game that came naturally to him, not like Callahan who used to have to use his body as a missile. Great shot. Just a really complete player. Just needed to get his head together. 

Loved JT!!

It's just so bittersweet watching him bury that 1st goal against us the other night.  What a snipe!  Fucking kid was money and it still kills me to this day we traded him away!  I absolutely loved watching JT Miller play.

When we talk about trading kids away, I seem to always jump back to this example.  I know not every player is JT Miller, but man!  We really traded away a star.

Of all the teams we have played this year so far, the two who have impressed me the most are Vancouver and Dallas. Both teams have tremendous depth and goalies who can be hard to beat. I wouldn’t be surprised to see one of those 2 represent the West in the Finals. Vancouver is playing out of their minds right now. Really good team playing extremely, extremely well right now.