• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sens Sign Vladimir Tarasenko to 1-year/$5m Deal

Phil

The Sharks reportedly were in the mix to land two-time NHL All-Star Vladimir Tarasenko in free agency before he signed with the Ottawa Senators.

Bally Sports’ Andy Strickland reported Friday, citing sources, that San Jose offered Tarasenko a one-year deal worth $6 million -- a more lucrative contract in terms of average annual value than any other team.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-sharks-gave-tarasenko-biggest-060136919.html

Looks like Carolina only offered under 4m. Yikes

And he turned down a multi year deal from Ottawa

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's betting on himself. Love to see it.

Is he? All three offers were one-year deals. Ottawa offered four earlier in free agency, but that was presumably no longer on the table?

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Is he? All three offers were one-year deals. Ottawa offered four earlier in free agency, but that was presumably no longer on the table?

He turned down more from the Sharks than he took from Ottawa, that's a bet on himself. Take less money now because it sets you up for a bigger deal later. He also turned down the 4 year deal. He can also go back to Russia and rake cash, I'm sure.

Just now, Pete said:

He turned down more from the Sharks than he took from Ottawa, that's a bet on himself. Take less money now because it sets you up for a bigger deal later. He also turned down the 4 year deal. He can also go back to Russia and rake cash, I'm sure.

A million, yeah. I guess that qualifies. I think he just mostly ran out of runway here, but everyone can see the play here: rack up points in OTT (or SJS, had he gone there), then get traded at the deadline if the team is out and try to cash in again next summer when the cap hopefully rises more significantly.

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

But the Sharks deal was also a 1 year deal, and he would have easily been traded. I'm guessing maybe his idea is to bet on himself in terms of just pure one year performance + outlier of playoffs with the same team rather than deadline transaction and having to learn a system or be more buried on a depth chart. Who knows. 

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Ottawa instead of San Jose is a no brainer if looking to be on a competitive team.

Undoubtedly. Ottawa is probably a borderline wildcard team with him on the club now. Their top line is looking to be Tkachuk-Stutzle-Tarasenko. If Norris is healthy, their second line is Giroux-Norris-Batherson.

Goals won't be a problem.

45 minutes ago, Phil said:

A million, yeah. I guess that qualifies. I think he just mostly ran out of runway here, but everyone can see the play here: rack up points in OTT (or SJS, had he gone there), then get traded at the deadline if the team is out and try to cash in again next summer when the cap hopefully rises more significantly.

32 minutes ago, Keirik said:

But the Sharks deal was also a 1 year deal, and he would have easily been traded. I'm guessing maybe his idea is to bet on himself in terms of just pure one year performance + outlier of playoffs with the same team rather than deadline transaction and having to learn a system or be more buried on a depth chart. Who knows. 

That's OK. I still think he's betting on himself in a way. 

I'll say this much for this decision: Ottawa could be exactly the right fit. This could just as easily fit the betting on himself frame you are thinking, Pete, if he gets there, clicks, and Ottawa finally takes the step everyone's expected them to.

With him under contract, their top-six is scary good.

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Tarasenko

Giroux-Norris-Batherson

They're basically a goalie away from a wildcard spot that they can probably take if Boston falls out (now that Bergeron is retired). If Korpisalo is that guy, they're in IMO.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

With him under contract, their top-six is scary good.

That's why I think he's betting on himself. Their top 2 lines are loaded, he could have went to SJS and been THE guy. The only option aside from Hertl. Could have geesed his numbers a little more. Tarasenko might not even be on PP1 in OTT. There's a decent chance but not a lock.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

That's OK. I still think he's betting on himself in a way. 

I agree with you there. But I'm not sure he gets the same ice time in Ottawa as he would in SK. More talent for sure in Ottawa so higher opportunities but I'm not even sure he gets on pp1 there. 

Lol didn't even see your reply that I basically copied

• LMFAO 1

He made the right move.

Got good money on a 1-year deal from a team that’s got a good mix of younger and more veteran talent and is on the rise and may be able to crack the playoff bubble.

And if it doesn’t go well for them this year, he’s set up to go elsewhere at the deadline as a rental to a playoff team.

And he can probably do so on name and reputation only, even if he’s not having a good season.