• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Mock Draft 2023 3.0

23. New York Rangers: Riley Heidt, C, Prince George (WHL)

The Rangers hung onto this year's first-round pick and get rewarded with their selection of Heidt. He's a premier playmaker, who is always looking for an open teammate rather than holding on for a shot. New York hasn't taken a natural center in the first round since 2017, but that trend changes in 2023. 

Sporting News Mock Draft

Nasty physically, despite his 5-foot-11 frame, Heidt has the handling, shooting, and vision to inflict major damage on opponents. He takes the extra stride to play the body, never passes up an opportunity to sneak in a shot behind the play, and is an enthusiastic combatant in scrums. On retrievals, Heidt establishes inside positioning early, drives through opponents’ hands, and separates them from the puck. And the use of contact to create space in the small area game allows him to spin off of defensive pressure and attack the inside. 

Riley Heidt - Elite Prospects

Creative and intelligent playmaker who displays a strong work-ethic. Has great speed and overall mobility, projecting as a top-six offensive driver at the NHL level.

April 2023 – Heidt’s versatility is his bread and butter, as he can play in any scenario. Down a goal, up a goal, on the power play or the penalty kill, coaches aren’t concerned when Heidt hops over the boards, and rightly so. His feistiness makes him a truly impressive forechecker. He boasts solid board-battle mechanics as well, making him a headache for opposing defenders below their goal line. There are also some very alluring elements to his playmaking, namely a wide array of passes and solid scanning habits, although his shot is just slightly above-average for this class. As he stands, Heidt’s ceiling projects him as a checking center with both high-end defensive capabilities and the playmaking/skill combo to hold down a second-line role. Think Yanni Gourde with better hands and passing.

Riley Heidt - DobberProspects

-------------------------------------------------

This is a pick I can get behind.

“Talented kid. Late first or early second rounder.” - NHL Scout, January 2023

“Really good player who has top six traits. He’ll probably go pretty high.” -NHL Scout, January 2023

“I’m not sure he registers at all on the give a sh*t meter.” - NHL Scout, January 2023

“I don’t want him on my junior team let alone my NHL team. He’s not the player for us.” - NHL Scout, January 2023

“Talented but he needs to dig in and play a tougher game. He is way too easy to play against.” - NHL Scout, January 2023

“I really like him. Super skilled with a big ceiling. He’s in my first round.” - NHL Scout, March 2023

“Does a whole lot of skating to accomplish nothing. Bigtime perimeter guy. He can skate and has a ton of skill including shooting the puck, but I need a guy with more want-to in his game.” - NHL Scout, March 2023

“He’s not big...there is zero physicality. He picks and chooses when he wants to give effort...a lot of gliding, he needs to move his feet more. Tons of potential...high ceiling, but I can see him playing in Europe more than I see him in the NHL.” - NHL Scout, March 2023

“He was not good overseas and I thought he would be good there on the bigger ice. More room to avoid getting hit.” - NHL Scout, May 2023

“He should’ve dominated at the U18 and he didn’t.” - NHL Scout, May 2023

“He played as an under-ager, has always been a guy talked about after Bedard. To me he is is Drouin.” - NHL Scout, May 2023

“Imagine putting him on the first line as soon as he arrived at the U18. Never ceases to amaze me what I see at that tournament.” - NHL Scout, May 2023

“Not a fan.” - HP Scout Jérôme Bérubé, October 2022

“A scout told me last year that Heidt was like Jonathan Drouin and that absolutely ruined the player for me this year.” - HP Scout Jérôme Bérubé (December 2022)

“He not a Hockey Prospect style of player. We need some compete.” - HP Scout, Mark Edwards, May 2023

From the 2023 Black Book.

No compete? Doesn't seem like a Drury player.

6 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

From the 2023 Black Book.

No compete? Doesn't seem like a Drury player.

Interesting, seems slightly mixed though trending negative and contradictory to the reports I posted.  All comes down to which of “I really like him. Super skilled with a big ceiling. He’s in my first round.” - NHL Scout, March 2023 and “I don’t want him on my junior team let alone my NHL team. He’s not the player for us.” - NHL Scout, January 2023 was the NYR scout.

After reading Laff's scouting report, I have more belief in the Weather Channel than these "scouts".

My question is, Are we allergic to drafting players that are 6' 3" or 6' 4", and have massive talent and compete levels???  What the hell happened to those guys?

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

Just now, Ozzy said:

After reading Laff's scouting report, I have more belief in the Weather Channel than these "scouts".

My question is, Are we allergic to drafting players that are 6' 3" or 6' 4", and have massive talent and compete levels???  What the hell happened to those guys?

You mean like hugh jessiman? Or Dylan mcilrath? Doesn’t work for us either 🤣

• LMFAO 1

4 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Interesting, seems slightly mixed though trending negative and contradictory to the reports I posted.  All comes down to which of “I really like him. Super skilled with a big ceiling. He’s in my first round.” - NHL Scout, March 2023 and “I don’t want him on my junior team let alone my NHL team. He’s not the player for us.” - NHL Scout, January 2023 was the NYR scout.

Mark Edwards and those over at Hockey Prospect are normally really good about getting feedback from other scouts. Their personal rankings are subject to scrutiny, but I'd say any time they provide comments like these direct from scouts, it's best to trust them. Questionable work ethic conversation amongst scouts is a big red flag. And I trust these comments more than I would coming from guys making mock drafts.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Already picked by 23?

Just now, Long live the King said:

Already picked by 23?

This. There was also a tweet the other day showing that the Rangers were among the top 5 in drafting for size since 2017. There's been no shortage of size targeted. Finding a combination of size and skill is hard enough. The Rangers aren't exactly adept at finding the most skilled players either.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You might like Daniil But.  Only problem is he's another LW.

1 minute ago, Long live the King said:

Othmann is a shooter.  Needs a setup man.

Othmann needs someone who can do the dirty work defensively and be better at gaining the zone than he is. There are players who meet those qualifications that also pass the puck that aren't Heidt.

2 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Yup, usually. Chytil was a late first rounder tho, he fits that description.

He was also considered a slightly off the board pick at the time. Lots of raw talent and not the physically developed man he is today. He worked summer after summer with Ben Prentiss to fill out his frame.

1 minute ago, Drew a Penalty said:

No, but by 23 there's going to be some kind of blemish be it effort, skating, skill, size, etc. It becomes more of a game of outweighing the negatives with what positives exist.

From what I've been reading, this draft is supposed to be rather weak, so I can understand that.  But I'm sure that there have been some stud players that have gone in later rounds that these "scouts" of ours could target.

Hank was a 7th rounder, and he's going into the Hall of Fame.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

From what I've been reading, this draft is supposed to be rather weak, so I can understand that.  But I'm sure that there have been some stud players that have gone in later rounds that these "scouts" of ours could target.

Hank was a 7th rounder, and he's going into the Hall of Fame.

The consensus is that this is a particularly strong draft at the top. I don't know if that holds regarding its depth going into later rounds, but some weird movement could result in some really talented players ending up in the mid-second. The Rangers at 23 are in a good spot to get a faller or move up slightly to get their guy.

1 minute ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The consensus is that this is a particularly strong draft at the top. I don't know if that holds regarding its depth going into later rounds, but some weird movement could result in some really talented players ending up in the mid-second. The Rangers at 23 are in a good spot to get a faller or move up slightly to get their guy.

I have to admit, Drew....I really have my doubts with scouting reports these days.  LOL

I'm still pissed we missed out on Niewendyk in 1985!!!  We did get Richter with the next pick, so it wasn't that bad....but anyway.  Niewey went #27 I think that season.