• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Mike Babcock to Columbus?

So we’re told by a reputable source that the disgraced Mike Babcock is “far down the line with a team,” and the inference is that the team is the Blue Jackets.

Really, JD?

Or as one player suggested by text, “[Johnny] Gaudreau can’t catch a break.”

https://nypost.com/2023/05/20/nhl-nhlpa-to-discuss-salary-cap-future-of-arizona-coyotes/

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I just saw that they were going to meet...not sure when.

According to TSN's Darren Dreger, the three-time Stanley Cup winner is expected to meet with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman as soon as the season ends to “review his status." Has he been crossed off the Rangers' list entirety? Or would a pending reinstatement put him back in the mix? 

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/05/22/5-priorities-for-the-next-rangers-coach/70235432007/

• Thanks 1

Maybe this is disinformation, or maybe JD has lost his marbles

two possible outcomes I see if he gets hired. Babcock ruins the young players coming in, completely demoralizing everyone and making a bad team that already isn't an attractive place for any free agents an even worse destination. A long losing season under a scumbag of a coach is not going to be a fun one for them

or, Babcock spends the whole time trying to not be himself, focusing more on not being the shithead vs actually coaching them.

19 minutes ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

Maybe this is disinformation, or maybe JD has lost his marbles

two possible outcomes I see if he gets hired. Babcock ruins the young players coming in, completely demoralizing everyone and making a bad team that already isn't an attractive place for any free agents an even worse destination. A long losing season under a scumbag of a coach is not going to be a fun one for them

or, Babcock spends the whole time trying to not be himself, focusing more on not being the shithead vs actually coaching them.

So it's completely impossible that he took his time away to learn some new techniques, and because he was bad before means he'll always be bad? 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So it's completely impossible that he took his time away to learn some new techniques, and because he was bad before means he'll always be bad? 

anyone can change I guess...

Maybe you take a gamble that he's changed his stripes and has found a new way to still be an effective coach at the highest level

Personally, I wouldn't risk starting off a full rebuild on a guy like him. 

Maybe they're looking at Philly who, despite not having a 'good' season I think showed a bit of fight in them and played above their expectation with Torts. Maybe they're thinking  a hard-ass type of coach will be good for them. But realistically I think Babcock is not going to be good for them. You have to bank on him not trying to play his known mind games to assert dominance. 

This is a guy who scratched MIke Modano at the end of a season to prevent him from playing 1500 regular-season games. People don't like him and I doubt people are gonna want to play for him.

I certainly hope he's not even on the Rangers list of potential candidates

1 hour ago, BlairBettsBlocksEverything said:

anyone can change I guess...

Maybe you take a gamble that he's changed his stripes and has found a new way to still be an effective coach at the highest level

Personally, I wouldn't risk starting off a full rebuild on a guy like him. 

Maybe they're looking at Philly who, despite not having a 'good' season I think showed a bit of fight in them and played above their expectation with Torts. Maybe they're thinking  a hard-ass type of coach will be good for them. But realistically I think Babcock is not going to be good for them. You have to bank on him not trying to play his known mind games to assert dominance. 

This is a guy who scratched MIke Modano at the end of a season to prevent him from playing 1500 regular-season games. People don't like him and I doubt people are gonna want to play for him.

I certainly hope he's not even on the Rangers list of potential candidates

I guess at some point you would hope the interview process would filter some of this out. I don't think JD is an idiot. 

How is a coach with multiple Stanley Cups and Olympic gold medals, and I don't even know his achievements at lower levels of hockey...considered a bad coach?  Could he be a dickhead?  Sure, I guess.  Outdated tactics?  Maybe.  But as stated, that can change.  I don't think you can call him a shitty coach though.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

19 hours ago, Pete said:

I guess at some point you would hope the interview process would filter some of this out. I don't think JD is an idiot. 

You gotta think the first question in the interview was along the lines of, "So, is giving players PTSD still a tactic of yours?"

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I’m sure he’s made mistakes in his day. Who hasn’t? But again, we’re talking about a guy who has seen it all. On multiple levels. He took an 8th seed to the brink of a Cup. He won a Cup in Anaheim. He won as a top dog in Detroit with a star studded roster. He’s won Gold in the Olympics. Yeah, maybe he is a dickhead. But outside of Toronto, where there were maybe some questionable methods to his madness, he’s won everywhere. Your coach doesn’t have to be your best friend if he is getting the most out of his roster.

6 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I’m sure he’s made mistakes in his day. Who hasn’t? But again, we’re talking about a guy who has seen it all. On multiple levels. He took an 8th seed to the brink of a Cup. He won a Cup in Anaheim. He won as a top dog in Detroit with a star studded roster. He’s won Gold in the Olympics. Yeah, maybe he is a dickhead. But outside of Toronto, where there were maybe some questionable methods to his madness, he’s won everywhere. Your coach doesn’t have to be your best friend if he is getting the most out of his roster.

Plus him and Kakko would be best friends

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I mean, calling him a dickhead is probably a euphemism.

Johan Franzen loathes him and called him "the worst person I have ever met."  Carlo Coliacovo said that the players hated him and lobbied to get him fired every year in Detroit. James Mirtle was told that "90%" of the Leafs were relieved to see Babcock fired in Toronto. Mike Commodore called him "a terrible human being," and "a selfish prick."

And let's not forget the psychological abuse he put teenaged Mitch Marner through.

I have no idea why anyone would be rushing to bring this guy back. There's a reason he's been effectively blackballed since Toronto fired him. A lot of reasons. None of them good.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

I think you need a bit of both. I’m not saying you need blood thirsty lunatics running the show. But you can’t have guys that are going to be walked all over. I wouldn’t even term this as “nice” because I think it has more with being able to know the players and know the temperature of the locker room. 

But like most other trends in sports, it’ll be the flavor of the month right up until it isn’t. When it’s an hot tempered guy winning, that’s what’s needed. When it’s mild mannered, that’s what’s needed. End of the day, there’s no perfect coach or perfect recipe for guaranteed success.