• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers in on Joel Quenneville?

Phil

The only positive I'm taking out of this whole debacle is that I hope we get JQ!  I've been begging for this guy, for how long now??

I know Keith and RJ are tired of hearing me say it!!  LOL

If this is what it took to give this guy a second chance, and also put him behind our bench at the same time, I'm calling that a win!

• Cheers 1

I think Quenneville would be the right move. What happened back in 2010 was horrible but Quenneville wasn’t really directly responsible. People higher up than Q knew about this and Q was only informed by his superiors right before the Stanley cup finals IIRC. While he deserves some of the blame, people higher up than he really were more responsible in any cover up. 

Unless I’m remembering this wrong? 

• Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, Keirik said:

I think Quenneville would be the right move. What happened back in 2010 was horrible but Quenneville wasn’t really directly responsible. People higher up than Q knew about this and Q was only informed by his superiors right before the Stanley cup finals IIRC. While he deserves some of the blame, people higher up than he really were more responsible in any cover up. 

My POV is that nobody but the NHL has all the info and if he's cleared to coach and going to coach somewhere, it may as well be here.

But it needs to come with a believable acknowledgement. I mean what's he supposed to do before the SCF when he's got 20+ other guys to consider? Quit? I guess, that would be something...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

My POV is that nobody but the NHL has all the info and if he's cleared to coach and going to coach somewhere, it may as well be here.

But it needs to come with a believable acknowledgement. I mean what's he supposed to do before the SCF when he's got 20+ other guys to consider? Quit? I guess, that would be something...

That’s where I’m at too. It really was a no won situation. There’s an entire team to consider. Q deserves some of the blame but I believe Beach settled with the Blackhawks and at some point it’s time to move on. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

That’s where I’m at too. It really was a no won situation. There’s an entire team to consider. Q deserves some of the blame but I believe Beach settled with the Blackhawks and at some point it’s time to move on. 

Maybe at some point, it is time to move on, but this is still too fresh as of now in my view.. While Drury probably doesn't care, he's better off asking the players prior to his hiring. At least the ones who are staying....😉 You don't want to end up with a coach whom the players won't respect, or respond to.

The other aspect of it is you, Blueshirts. Most of you were glamoring for getting Kane and we've got him. He turned out to be nothing like as advertised, quite a disappointment instead.

What if Q turns out to be similar to Kane, rather disappointingly after all of the reasons you may want him? In which case, there's another season down the tube without SC. I am certain that other coaches will be available with less baggage, maybe not as exciting as Q, but could be just as good and safer for the Rangers. 

I haven't been a Rangers fan long enough to follow them winning the SC at the last time, but I'd want to see one in the near future. I really don't care if it's Q, or someone else, Gallant should be gone. When you allow players to be consistently inconsistent, refuse you make adjustments during the games (in season and/or playoffs) to help the players, you're probably not doing as much as you could. Thank to the veterans that they screwed you over and then, just call a cab...

12 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

Maybe at some point, it is time to move on, but this is still too fresh as of now in my view.. While Drury probably doesn't care, he's better off asking the players prior to his hiring. At least the ones who are staying....😉 You don't want to end up with a coach whom the players won't respect, or respond to.

The other aspect of it is you, Blueshirts. Most of you were glamoring for getting Kane and we've got him. He turned out to be nothing like as advertised, quite a disappointment instead.

What if Q turns out to be similar to Kane, rather disappointingly after all of the reasons you may want him? In which case, there's another season down the tube without SC. I am certain that other coaches will be available with less baggage, maybe not as exciting as Q, but could be just as good and safer for the Rangers. 

I haven't been a Rangers fan long enough to follow them winning the SC at the last time, but I'd want to see one in the near future. I really don't care if it's Q, or someone else, Gallant should be gone. When you allow players to be consistently inconsistent, refuse you make adjustments during the games (in season and/or playoffs) to help the players, you're probably not doing as much as you could. Thank to the veterans that they screwed you over and then, just call a cab...

I wanted Kane, Cr00z...and I still would love it if we could lock him in for one more kick at the can.  He's been playing injured, and I don't think it's that big a secret.  I wouldn't be surprised if he went for surgery very soon, either.  If we can get him at $2 mil for next season, I'd jump at it!

But Quenneville, in my opinion is a master.  The guy was fabulous with St. Louis, Chicago and Colorado.  I think he's 64 years old now, and eventually he's going to be back in the NHL. 

He's THE guy!  😉

• The Chyt! 1

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I wanted Kane, Cr00z...and I still would love it if we could lock him in for one more kick at the can.  He's been playing injured, and I don't think it's that big a secret.  I wouldn't be surprised if he went for surgery very soon, either.  If we can get him at $2 mil for next season, I'd jump at it!

But Quenneville, in my opinion is a master.  The guy was fabulous with St. Louis, Chicago and Colorado.  I think he's 64 years old now, and eventually he's going to be back in the NHL. 

He's THE guy!  😉

He was phenomenal as Florida head coach too 

• VINNY! 1

I have my doubts about Q, just like I had doubts about Kane, or "No-Kane do" as I called him sometimes in February. Either Kane didn't fit into the Rangers system/style of play, or the years in the NHL took it's toll on him. I tend lean toward the second option Ozzy, but I understand your choice.

I take your and Blue Heaven's word about Q, maybe he could work out for the Rangers. Albeit I still have some doubt, if the entitled, consistently inconsistent players (you know who they are) would be willing to change. It's a different word when your salary made you rich and still locked in for couple of more years of "raining". I guess we'll see how it works out next year.... I am more than willing to eat some crow every once in a while...🤣

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Cr00zng said:

I have my doubts about Q, just like I had doubts about Kane, or "No-Kane do" as I called him sometimes in February. Either Kane didn't fit into the Rangers system/style of play, or the years in the NHL took it's toll on him. I tend lean toward the second option Ozzy, but I understand your choice.

I take your and Blue Heaven's word about Q, maybe he could work out for the Rangers. Albeit I still have some doubt, if the entitled, consistently inconsistent players (you know who they are) would be willing to change. It's a different word when your salary made you rich and still locked in for couple of more years of "raining". I guess we'll see how it works out next year.... I am more than willing to eat some crow every once in a while...🤣

I hear ya Cr00z!  It's hard for me to reason with pretty much anything right now!  I feel like Randolph and Mortimer Duke in Trading Places, screaming for a do over!!!  LOL

• LMFAO 2

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I hear ya Cr00z!  It's hard for me to reason with pretty much anything right now!  I feel like Randolph and Mortimer Duke in Trading Places, screaming for a do over!!!  LOL

Just imagine what Drury goes through at the same time. If you think discussing it in this forum is contentious, imagine what he'll go through to make this decision. The chances are, Drury will be peaking into the Blueshirt forum to get some ideas.

Yes, that would be the best case scenario....😂

• LMFAO 1

3 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Also made a great point about Hughes, who may have been barking at the refs a little last night (I will say that I don’t consider Hughes to be much of a whiner in that regard): “I’d rather calm down a stallion than rev up a dopey doggy.”

I get the sense that Hughes may spend the off season taking asshole lessons from Sidney Crosby.

8 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

You want another David Quinn experience?

And to add to that... Guy won three Cups in Chicago and turned Florida around... Retread? Guys one of the most successful coaches of the last 20 years. 

• VINNY! 1

18 hours ago, Keirik said:

As far as I know, yes, that’s the story. Though I’ll add that I never fault that we got all the facts and I’ve always had the feeling that Q was ultimately the guy who took the fall. 

And there’s other stuff involved here too.

• Keeps it 100 1

Hired Quinn - need a vet voice.

Hired Gallant - need a stronger structure.

Rumors of Quenneville - why another retread.

"Why don't they just" is exhausting.

Im not even a Q supporter, but it's clearly different than Gallant and there's no guarantees a new mind/younger coach would be any better.

14 minutes ago, torontonyr said:

Hired Quinn - need a vet voice.

Hired Gallant - need a stronger structure.

Rumors of Quenneville - why another retread.

"Why don't they just" is exhausting.

Im not even a Q supporter, but it's clearly different than Gallant and there's no guarantees a new mind/younger coach would be any better.

You're not wrong. It is just embarrassing to see this team get everyone's sloppy seconds and fail time after time. Why can we never develop the next big thing. Could've been Mike Sullivan. Could've been Ulf Samuellson. But we always gotta grab the name whether it be player or coach. 1 cup in 80+ years; definitely stick to the plan...

• Like 1