• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Game Forfeiture

I've scoured the internet and cannot find anything on the subjectmatter

Can an NHL owner forfeit a game or playoff series for cause? Say the owner of team -X is pissed at his team and decides to lock them out of their upcoming game; grounds the team jet/bus etc. Would that be legal as long as said owner still pays his players? Of course he'd have to refund ticket sales etc. Obviously there would be a lot of other moving parts...

17 minutes ago, VegasRanger said:

The only game I heard of being forfeited was a girl's Catholic HS basketball game, because the other team had a transgender player  playing for them.  This just happened a few months ago

That's disgusting. 

6 minutes ago, Richter35 said:

Sure is. Imagine being a female having to compete against a male. Just isnt right.

I meant the politicizing and ostracizing of kids, but I guess you don't care about that. 

That's what just isn't right. 

• LMFAO 1

1 minute ago, Richter35 said:

Who did that? And thanks for telling me what I dont care about. How about fair play ? Or do you not care about that . Thats what isnt right . Nothing political about that.

Yes, I'm sure it was fair play and the welfare of the children that is the true concern...

high quality GIF

Forfeiture has many implications and lots of questions to answer. 
1. Why? Is the intent to tank the team for a better draft pick? Save the team’s energy for playoffs? 
2. Who gets paid? Players would by contract but what about…arena workers, security staff, parking, etc. Not to mention all of the Arena tix to be refunded, TV & radio commentators PLUS sponsors! Return ad revenue? IDK, I smell litigation. 
3. Would this become a trend? Wealthy owners could really f-up the works, no? Standings, stats, performance bonuses…again, line up the attorneys. 
4. Fan revolt. I cannot fathom how a forfeiture would lead to anything but a lack of goodwill.  As it is, resting a star player is fraught with fan’s disappointment. You bought a ticket expecting to see ‘X’ play and he’s being rested is one thing. Planning a trip to a game, a family or buddy outing and the game is forfeited? Shitstorm of bad press ensues from all aggrieved parties. 
5. With all of that said, when your team sucks and it’s painful to watch maybe a forfeiture isn’t really a half-bad idea.