• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

How Can/Will the Rangers Keep Chytil?

Phil

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Calling the guy that just scored 52 goals a "50pt player" is a bit misleading lol.

Over the last 3 full seasons + this season he's averaging ~65p/82g. More than half of the points are goals as well.

I would also keep Panarin over Kreider, but it's not as simple as "one is a 90pt player and one is a 50pt player". Panarin makes almost double what Kreids does, he scores fewer goals, he doesn't PK, he's worse in his own zone.

I don't think they'll trade either of them for what it's worth.

Yes I'm well aware of Kreider stats. The guy scored 50 goals one time. It's just also happened to be one of the only years he was healthy for all 82 games, so I'm not interested in his 82-game pace when he's not a lock to play 82 games.

His contract also stands to age much more poorly than Panarin.

Point being, and I don't know if I made this point in another thread or this one, when you have a log jam and a one player has to go, trading the best player at the position in the log jam.. and a player who can do things that no one else can do... Seems real silly. 

15 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Have to work with what you got. If Drury believes in Gallant being the right guy then I say fuck it and go for it. A prospect drafted in the first this year is going to take 3 years to make it and then play 12 min a night tops for 3 years after that anyway. Worthless for the Rangers. Any team can get hot at the right time. Seen it too many times before

This sums up the Rangers and Rangers fans existence.  1 cup in 100 years is the result

9 minutes ago, cupalife said:

This sums up the Rangers and Rangers fans existence.  1 cup in 100 years is the result

I don’t think so, personally. The pre-cap era was always buy buy buy and few homegrown players sprinkled in. But they have about 10 homegrown players in the lineup now, so it’s not like they have turned a blind eye to drafting and developing like in years past. And they just had a decade of highly competitive teams built around homegrown players.

All teams buy at the deadline when they think they are good enough to do so. That’s not uniquely Rangers. That’s just how it works.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

Are you watching Schneider play at all? I'm not one to constantly shit on Trouba, but I'd have zero issue playing Schneider on Troubas spot from here on out. Trouba is playing on the "3rd pair" right now, but it's obliviously more of a spreading out the minutes a bit smarter and giving Trouba the worst partner available.  

Lafrenière is playing with the teams top center for the last 4 games.  He's not exactly crushing the opportunity (Again). 

I just don't understand how you can't grasp that no team is going to be able to afford Panarin without retention. If you're going to retain the type of money needed,  it becomes fruitless. Why bother? 

You're discounting the leadership aspect to Trouba.  Schneider has been very good they need more of the not less.  Trouba is a very good NHL defenseman.  Overpaid but very good.  Did you not watch last year?  Did you not see him change a series or 2 in the playoffs with his physicality?  I haven't seen that from Schneider yet (I think it could be there).  Regardless there are not many guys like Trouba in the league.  The entire NHL is of that view point.  That is a fact.  He's having a bad year for sure but he's not a bad player.

Laf put up 19 5on5 goals last year.  You have got to feed him power play time to expect production.  You have to that with any offensive player.  Take away Panarin or Mika's pp time and see what you get.  The powerplay is where talent gets confidence.  The Rangers should be ashamed of themselves how they have "developed" both Kakko and Laf.  Both guys were not reaches.  They were consensus generational players.  Both have struggled mightily.  Only the Rangers could take two offensive gifted guys like that and immediately put them in a third line checking role.  

I agree Panarin is going nowhere just like this team.

• Like 1

The Bruins won a Cup with 2nd overall Tyler Seguin on the 3rd line.

You can say what you want about their roles, but stop calling them "gifted". They aren't. Kakko's been working on his skating for 3 years. Lafreniere shows zero physical tools that are above average. 

What are their gifts? 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

The Bruins won a Cup with 2nd overall Tyler Seguin on the 3rd line.

You can say what you want about their roles, but stop calling them "gifted". They aren't. Kakko's been working on his skating for 3 years. Lafreniere shows zero physical tools that are above average. 

What are their gifts? 

The entire hockey world and especially this board called them "gifted" among other godly comparisons when we drafted them.  Kakko was shitting all over professionals at the World Championships right before his draft.  The Rangers get a hold of them and they immediately look like they have no idea what made them top draft picks.  It's like the rangers are trying to develop them into Jan Erixon instead of giving the room to make mistakes and grow.  Kakko was a scratch in an elimination game last year in the playoffs.  Even after his positive showing in the payoffs.  Dryden Hunt was deemed more important.  A injured Strome was deemed more important.  Both players were not in the Rangers future plans, yet this organization decided to scratch their 2OA, in favor of them.  It's a joke. Everyone here knows or ought to know that this team is going to go as far as those kids take us.  If they bust, it's a lost decade maybe decade and a half.   

5 minutes ago, cupalife said:

The entire hockey world and especially this board called them "gifted" among other godly comparisons when we drafted them.  Kakko was shitting all over professionals at the World Championships right before his draft.  The Rangers get a hold of them and they immediately look like they have no idea what made them top draft picks.  It's like the rangers are trying to develop them into Jan Erixon instead of giving the room to make mistakes and grow.  Kakko was a scratch in an elimination game last year in the playoffs.  Even after his positive showing in the payoffs.  Dryden Hunt was deemed more important.  A injured Strome was deemed more important.  Both players were not in the Rangers future plans, yet this organization decided to scratch their 2OA, in favor of them.  It's a joke. Everyone here knows or ought to know that this team is going to go as far as those kids take us.  If they bust, it's a lost decade maybe decade and a half.   

You didn't answer the question. What are their gifts?

On 12/14/2022 at 1:11 AM, Keirik said:

We don’t have cap problems. I’m not sure where this is coming from. We have a tad under 17m as it is in cap space next offseason. 
we need

1. a backup G

2. Resign an RFA Miller with no leverage

3. Halak? Ok so we need a new 6th D

4. Reup Chytil with arb rights

5. LaFreniere RFA

6. Kravtsov with arb rights

7. Gauthier with arb rights

8. Replace Blais/Vesey

lets ballpark things. If Chytil gets 5m on an arb deal, regardless of years, a backup goalie for 2m , laf at exactly what Kakko got at 2.1, Key gets 2.5m,  you’re talking about  a tad under 12m for those guys. That leaves 4-5m for a 6th d, 4th line fwd, and likely a Kravtsov replacement or arb offer that won’t be anywhere near high. gets tight where you find a Blais/Vesey guy but if the cap only goes up 1m as predicted, there will be plenty of value guys still out there. 

@Keirik

Hey Big man!  I think you have a pretty good read on this right here.  This is what you were mentioning at the bar.

Take it one step more;  what if we brought up one of our draftee Goalie's for next season, like Garand or Wall?  They couldn't be much worse than Halak, and they sure as fuck wouldn't cost a whole lot on an ELC.  ...maybe save a million or two there!

Talk to me Goose!  😉

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

@Keirik

Take it one step more;  what if we brought up one of our draftee Goalie's for next season, like Garand or Wall? 

We released the presumptuously named Wall, and he is in the ECHL.  I assume we could get him back if we said pretty please...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

We released the presumptuously named Wall, and he is in the ECHL.  I assume we could get him back if we said pretty please...

...or Garand.  You know where I'm going with this one though, Sod....we can save a few ticks off the cap bringing up one of our own.  ...couldn't be any worse than Halak, right?

I've said it before: one of these years, Halak will no longer be the ideal No. 2 goalie.  Unfortunately, this may be that year.  There may be a presumption against bringing up a young goalie and only giving him 20 starts, but there are worst things than having those starts, seeing Benoit every day, and practicing with NHL stars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

@Keirik

Hey Big man!  I think you have a pretty good read on this right here.  This is what you were mentioning at the bar.

Take it one step more;  what if we brought up one of our draftee Goalie's for next season, like Garand or Wall?  They couldn't be much worse than Halak, and they sure as fuck wouldn't cost a whole lot on an ELC.  ...maybe save a million or two there!

Talk to me Goose!  😉

I don’t know enough about any of our goaltending prospects but there won’t be a shortage of goalies looking for a job most offseasons. 

2 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Speaking of, he just signed an AHL deal with Hershey yesterday and they still left him in the ECHL at least for now. 😁

On 12/13/2022 at 6:50 PM, josh said:

its funny, because if you read any non-rangers publication discussing Trouba, they call him a “unicorn”. 

lol, just going on the years. He wasn't (and isn't) worth 7 years. Aren't many who are, and, he isn't. Now those 7 years are like an anchor.

15 hours ago, Pete said:

You didn't answer the question. What are their gifts?

Kakko: strength, size, board play, playmaking ability, hands, shot, all around game, maybe a future Selke Candidate.

Laf: strength, size, compete level, physical, playmaking, hands, tends to raise his game in big moments.

I think pre draft both were considered strong skaters.  That couldn't be more wrong.

I thought Kakko was out of shape his first year or two.  It seems like he's learned that lesson.  I think Laf is obviously not in the shape he should be.  He probably thinks he trains hard.  He could probably use a summer following Kreider's workout program.  Regardless I have no worries about Kakko anymore.  He's going to be fine.  Laf I agree I have worries.  I do think both need some confidence.  Powerpay time would go a long way to helping that.  The Rangers would be stupid not to give it to them.  In the long run their franchise depends on those two not busting.  It matters more to lose some battles along the way to win that war.  If it means less time to PP1, then so be it.  They desperately need those kids confident and contributing.  All anybody has to look at was the playoffs last year.  

1 hour ago, cupalife said:

Yeah I do.  It's the same on every blog.  The majority of Ranger fans have no patience to build.  They always want the new best toy.  This season it's Patrick Kane.  The Rangers do not need to give away future assets for a team that until tonight has not competed for 60 minutes. Not for a guy turning  UFA that they cannot afford to sign.  Not every year is go for it year.  Now it's to early to determine that as maybe they are turning it around.  However that is not the talk here.  Not to mention this team has other holes more pressing than what Kane fills in my opinion, if they were going after a rental.  LD being the most important.

You guys are obsessed with who I am.  I was on the old board years ago, I believe it was called blueshirtbanter.  I haven't posted here ever.  Got that Peetie   

Mod note to remember. Just as you used to do here in the past, you still need to use the @cupalifeto autopopulate the user you are trying to tag in the post. Happy posting! 

It's going to very hard for the Rangers to do that though.   I could see it if they were trading him for an established star, but that will surely come with a large cap hit.  Trading him for a prospect or picks would be an admission of failure from this organization.  

27 minutes ago, siddious said:

I don’t know how the money shakes out but I think they keep Chytil and move one or kakko or Laf. My vote is for Laf. Othman will take his spot anyway. 

Pains me to say, but this might be accurate. Though I don’t think it happens if Lafreniere takes the Kakko bridge, puts in a summer of hard work to improve his awful conditioning.