• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Could Ryan Reaves Be a Victim of Rangers' Cap Crunch?

Phil

1 hour ago, josh said:

I’d rather keep him. Doesn’t need to play every game 

The $3m plus in deadline cap space that sending him to Harford would create is simply more essential than whatever Reaves brings.  He just can't keep up.  Plus minus may be overrated as a stat, but on the ice for one goal for and six against is telling.  I don't think he'll get taken off waivers, as he is overpaid to boot.  He can be parked in Hartford and recalled if needed later. 

22 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

The $3m plus in deadline cap space that sending him to Harford would create is simply more essential than whatever Reaves brings.  He just can't keep up.  Plus minus may be overrated as a stat, but on the ice for one goal for and six against is telling.  I don't think he'll get taken off waivers, as he is overpaid to boot.  He can be parked in Hartford and recalled if needed later. 

Cool cool cool.

but how quickly we forget this teams demeanor prior to Reaves. There’s a specific reason he was brought in, and he should stay for that specific reason. 

ryan Reaves being -5 is not the difference between making the playoffs or winning the cup. 

i said all off season that the 4th line needs a fast spit fire to complement the other guys. It would make Goodrow and Reaves size and physicality more effective with that pressure 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, josh said:

Cool cool cool.

but how quickly we forget this teams demeanor prior to Reaves. There’s a specific reason he was brought in, and he should stay for that specific reason. 

ryan Reaves being -5 is not the difference between making the playoffs or winning the cup. 

i said all off season that the 4th line needs a fast spit fire to complement the other guys. It would make Goodrow and Reaves size and physicality more effective with that pressure 

40 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The swagger and confidence he brings is why he gets paid.

Oh I used to agree with this, until I saw him have a bunch of fights that didn't matter earlier in the year, and then the team do nothing when Lindgren got cheap-shotted, but saw the Bruins take their pound of flesh when Trent Frederic got hit clean.

He's not plying his trade. He's useless. 

• Like 2
  • Bullseye 2
  • Applause 1

Including the playoffs, he’s played 99 games as a Ranger. He’s a -19. In 10 minutes a night. 
He’s a constant threat to be victimized for a goal against every time he’s on the ice, no matter who he’s out there against. 
His virtue is found only in his locker room presence and his ability as a bodyguard, both of which are real things. He’s still a heavyweight when it comes to his ability with his fists. 
But he’s not an effective hockey player anymore. Nor is there any chance he’s back next season. 

You have a cup contender.

You need a better player in his roster spot. 

• Applause 1

11 hours ago, Jdog99 said:

I like the guy...but i think the rangers need a 4th line that can be counted on for a few goals

All you need from your 4th line is defensive responsibility, some physicality, a couple of guys you can use on the PK, and even hockey. 

You don’t get that with Reaves 

• Applause 1

They should have cut bait with him in the offseason. It was pretty clear last year he just has nothing left and provides nothing at this point. I've said it many times that they got him about four or five years too late. Drury really didn't do a great job addressing the depth of the bottom six over the summer. Carpenter is another guy who just really doesn't do anything. Vesey has actually been pretty solid as has Gauthier to a degree. But overall? Not great depth-wise, it definitely took a bit of a hit, especially dumping Hunt who I'd rather have than any of them at this point.

People have done enough in this thread to highlight Reaves’ shortcomings, of which there are many, but I will point out that I think Reaves is actually excellent at cycling and making the other team work in their own zone particularly along the end and corner boards, if and only if his line can establish possession in the OZ. Goals might not come of it 99% of the time, but it does have a “wear down” effect on the opposing defense, while keeping the puck out of the Rangers’ DZ. This is what you need out of a 4th line.

@josh has nailed how best to utilize Reaves IMO. Pair him with faster players who can get in after the forecheck. We’ve tried Blais, Carpenter, and sometimes Goodrow. These guys are the opposite of that. Hard to establish the forecheck with no foot speed.

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

People have done enough in this thread to highlight Reaves’ shortcomings, of which there are many, but I will point out that I think Reaves is actually excellent at cycling and making the other team work in their own zone particularly along the end and corner boards, if and only if his line can establish possession in the OZ. Goals might not come of it 99% of the time, but it does have a “wear down” effect on the opposing defense, while keeping the puck out of the Rangers’ DZ. This is what you need out of a 4th line.

@josh has nailed how best to utilize Reaves IMO. Pair him with faster players who can get in after the forecheck. We’ve tried Blais, Carpenter, and sometimes Goodrow. These guys are the opposite of that. Hard to establish the forecheck with no foot speed.

I do think he has some me virtue there. But here’s the thing.

That so seldom manifests itself to cancel out his defensive shortcomings and lack of skating ability.

And for what it’s worth, they don’t deploy him in a way to utilize that really at all.. and when they have, it actually hasn’t worked .

So there’s that.

I look at Reaves and I see a guy who could’ve had offensive success… but 25-30 years ago… and playing with Messier and Graves. Or Lemieux and Jagr. Or LaFontaine and Mogilny. 

49 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Motte Goodrow Blais would be a decent 4th line in my opinion.

And they could have signed Motte but for the foolish Reaves extension.  There also was at least a chance of unloading Reaves in the off season.  Nope: he had a Played for GG Before Pass.  Reaves is good at cycling?  How much effective cycling has the 4th line done with him on it?  It used to be that every team had a guy like Reaves.  Now, very few do.  If the rest of the teams can get on without a Reaves, so can we.  

4 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

And they could have signed Motte but for the foolish Reaves extension.  There also was at least a chance of unloading Reaves in the off season.  Nope: he had a Played for GG Before Pass.  Reaves is good at cycling?  How much effective cycling has the 4th line done with him on it?  It used to be that every team had a guy like Reaves.  Now, very few do.  If the rest of the teams can get on without a Reaves, so can we.  

Those 3 would actually be an ideal 4th line.

Dont beat them up too bad though.

Motte wasn’t here and this didn’t exist in the cap framework or roster thought process before last March. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Being good at something you'll never have a chance to do is the same as being good at nothing at all. 

Exactly.

Its similar in fashion to putting on a bulletproof vest after you’ve been shot in the belly. 

Or you’re staring off a 200 foot cliff with a river at the bottom, worrying if you’re going to drown.

Its the fall that’s gonna kill you. 

Edited by RangersIn7

i thought he was slow last year but this year...jeez!!  

and when did we ever see Reeves cycle the puck>?  He's good at hitting players but only if he can catch them.  His hits seem to be heavy and i'm sure the opposing d-men are aware of this.  

Should've claimed Richie when he was on waivers.  Dude goes to the net, can score, and would fight anyone. Perfect 4th liner