• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rep Bet: Hall of Fame

On 7/26/2022 at 11:36 AM, Phil said:

It might be based on the Bure scale. 437 goals, 779 points in 702 games. Assuming his health remains in tact and he plays another 410 games over the next five years (82 game seaons, he'll have your approximate 975 points in 918 games, give or take. 1.06 P/GP. That's right in line with Bure (1.10).

I think Bure was a generational talent.  God just doesn't bestow those wheels and those hands on the same body very often.  Goals count more in this calculus, and Bure was much more of a scorer than Panarin will ever be.   Seasons with 60, 60, 51, 58 and 59 markers. 

Ha!  I recall holding my breath and turning blue every time Pat Quinn managed to get Bure on the ice when Jay Wells was on for the Rangers in the '94 Finals.  On that subject, perhaps Neil should have taken note of how masterfully Zubov handled Bure before deeming him not big and tough enough and trading him.  

Edited by Sod16

On 7/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, Phil said:

It might be based on the Bure scale. 437 goals, 779 points in 702 games. Assuming his health remains in tact and he plays another 410 games over the next five years (82 game seaons, he'll have your approximate 975 points in 918 games, give or take. 1.06 P/GP. That's right in line with Bure (1.10).

2 hours ago, Sod16 said:

I think Bure was a generational talent.  God just doesn't bestow those wheels and those hands on the same body very often.  Goals count more in this calculus, and Bure was much more of a scorer than Panarin will ever be.   Seasons with 60, 60, 51, 58 and 59 markers. 

Ha!  I recall holding my breath and turning blue every time Pat Quinn managed to get Bure on the ice when Jay Wells was on for the Rangers in the '94 Finals.  On that subject, perhaps Neil should have taken note of how masterfully Zubov handled Bure before deeming him not big and tough enough and trading him.  

Bure was a generational talent.

In every season in which he played at least 70 games, he scored 50 goals. Had 2 60- goal seasons in his first 3 years in the league, all by age 22

He’s 6th ALL-TIME, in goals per game. Top-25 ALL-TIME in points per game. 

Just a shortened career.

I can’t honestly think of another player who had the skill set of skating, shooting, and puck handling to such phenomenal levels, all in one player. 

Him and LaFontaine. Unbelievable talents. Shortened careers. And neither were on too many teams that were all that good.

Lafontaine is top-15 or so ALL-TIME in both goals and points per game, and 1 of only 9 players in NHL history to have a season of 140 points or better. 

He gets overlooked some cause of Gretz, Lemieux and Yzerman. 

Edited by RangersIn7
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Bure was a generational talent.

In every season in which he played at least 70 games, he scored 50 goals. Had 2 60- goal seasons in his first 3 years in the league, all by age 22

He’s 6th ALL-TIME, in goals per game. Top-25 ALL-TIME in points per game. 

Just a shortened career.

I can’t honestly think of another player who had the skill set of skating, shooting, and puck handling to such phenomenal levels, all in one player. 

Him and LaFontaine. Unbelievable talents. Shortened careers. And neither were on too many teams that were all that good.

Lafontaine is top-15 or so ALL-TIME in both goals and points per game, and 1 of only 9 players in NHL history to have a season of 140 points or better. 

He gets overlooked some cause of Gretz, Lemieux and Yzerman. 

Bure with 31 goals in 51 games with the Rangers.  That's a 50 goal pace playing on half of one leg.  Amazing.  

5 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Bure with 31 goals in 51 games with the Rangers.  That's a 50 goal pace playing on half of one leg.  Amazing.  

Yup

After having both of his knees completely reconstructed.

Then the 3rd reconstruction on one of his knees ended his career.