• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

What's Your Far-Too-Early Opening Night Lineup?

Phil

18 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere

Panarin-Trocheck-Kravtsov

Blais-Chytil-Kakko

Goodrow-Carpenter-Reaves

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Schneider

Shesterkin

Halak

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!!!

May swap Jones for Hajek but otherwise, I think this is spot on.

• VINNY! 1

21 hours ago, Pete said:

What I want:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Lafreniere

Panarin-Trocheck-Kravtsov

Goodrow-Chytil-Kakko

Blais-Carpenter-Cullye

Reaves

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Jones-Schneider

Robertson

What I think GG will go with:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Kravtsov

Panarin-Trocheck-Kakko

Lafreniere-Chytil-Blais

Goodrow-Carpenter-Reaves/Cullye

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba

Hajek-Schneider

Jones

Funny - put mine together and i come up with exactly your GG lineup, except for flipping Jones & Hajek

Edited by Jdog99

16 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I guess Trivigno had a good development camp and may warrant a look moving into the preseason? Lineup I just read projected put the bottom six as:

Trivigno-Chytil-Kravtsov

Reaves-Goodrow-Blais

Read where, got a link?

Edited by Pete

21 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I guess Trivigno had a good development camp and may warrant a look moving into the preseason? Lineup I just read projected put the bottom six as:

Trivigno-Chytil-Kravtsov

Reaves-Goodrow-Blais

He’s only played like a dozen games as a pro. Sure. Take a look. But gotta be a longer shot I’d guess. 

14 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

That's a blogger projecting his opinion of "what the Rangers might want to do" haha.

I would highly doubt we see him in the top 9 on opening night, or in the NHL at all (for the beginning of the season). If he's there, something else went very, very wrong.

Edited by Pete

Rangers really need that spark plug, little runt with a never ending motor and some speed to constantly annoy the fuck out of defenders. A motte with more youth, energy, speed - and maybe some offense. I mentioned in another thread I’d want to see Trivigno and Henriksson really go hard to compete for a 4th line role, playing as such. (Henriksson has played C before the SHL, so he may have an advantage). 

the 4th line lacks serious speed last season, and although they could bang around in the offensive zone sometimes, it was also pretty easy for some teams to break out due to their lack of speed. 

i think both kids could be annoying as fuck to play against, which would add a another element to the bottom 6. (Hunt, with a brain, some ability, and finish) 

Trivigno had glowing reviews throughout camp for his work ethic and his ability to get scoring chances - but he was also 4 years older than most of the guys there 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, josh said:

Rangers really need that spark plug, little runt with a never ending motor and some speed to constantly annoy the fuck out of defenders. A motte with more youth, energy, speed - and maybe some offense. I mentioned in another thread I’d want to see Trivigno and Henriksson really go hard to compete for a 4th line role, playing as such. (Henriksson has played C before the SHL, so he may have an advantage). 

the 4th line lacks serious speed last season, and although they could bang around in the offensive zone sometimes, it was also pretty easy for some teams to break out due to their lack of speed. 

i think both kids could be annoying as fuck to play against, which would add a another element to the bottom 6. (Hunt, with a brain, some ability, and finish) 

Trivigno had glowing reviews throughout camp for his work ethic and his ability to get scoring chances - but he was also 4 years older than most of the guys there 

I don't disagree, I just don't think you get that in a package that's 5'8", 170. Even Motte at 5'10" 190 can't stay healthy at the NHL level trying to play that style.

This is him next to Cuylle...Come one. This kid won't be able to shit disturb at the NHL level on a nightly basis.

It’s not about wrecking guys, it’s about speed, quickness and getting in there. Cuylle is slow as fuck. They need a guy in there disturbing break outs, relentless on the d, constant pressure. Cuylle doesn’t have the gas tank for that, either .

24 minutes ago, josh said:

It’s not about wrecking guys, it’s about speed, quickness and getting in there. Cuylle is slow as fuck. They need a guy in there disturbing break outs, relentless on the d, constant pressure. Cuylle doesn’t have the gas tank for that, either .

No, it's not about wrecking guys, but once he gets there, he's not a threat to separate the man from the puck in any way. 

IMO, guys that size are only effective in the Gaudreau/Zucc mold, meaning offensive players who are quick, darting and slippery. A 4th line player that size is a waste of a lineup spot. 

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

No, it's not about wrecking guys, but once he gets there, he's not a threat to separate the man from the puck in any way. 

IMO, guys that size are only effective in the Gaudreau/Zucc mold, meaning offensive players who are quick, darting and slippery. A 4th line player that size is a waste of a lineup spot. 

Cuylle might be able to separate, but speed (like a Trivigno) might be able to get to the puck first and make a play. Small, fast guys can also be elusive. If Trivigno can be that, they can pair him with bigger size like Goodrow, Reaves, etc. Get to the puck first, make a play, buy time for the slow, big boys to get deep in the zone to cycle.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Cuylle might be able to separate, but speed (like a Trivigno) might be able to get to the puck first and make a play. Small, fast guys can also be elusive. If Trivigno can be that, they can pair him with bigger size like Goodrow, Reaves, etc. Get to the puck first, make a play, buy time for the slow, big boys to get deep in the zone to cycle.

There's a lot of "ifs" with him. Too many, IMO, for him to make the team out of camp. He's not going to get the chance to show "hey I'm a really good forechecker" in a handful of pre-season games. Figure the last 2 games are tune ups and line combo testing. That leaves 4 games where he'll be splitting opportunities with guys like Sykora, Cullye, Othmann and even the Brodzinskis of the world.

It's a lot of competition for those last 4 winger spots when you know 4 roster spots are going to Krav, Blais, Reaves, Goodrow and Carpenter. I just don't see a world where he makes the team, unless injuries come up.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

That’s not true. Panarin, a small guy, is one of the best forecheckers - when he wants to be. He’s not physical, he’s not fast, but he gets under people and creates havoc and turnovers. 

In college, he was labeled the poor man’s gaudreau.

stop thinking prototypical 4th liners. It’s not 1982. But what he could potentially bring is much missing from the lineup. But once he adjusts, he can move up the lineup in complimentary roles.

48 minutes ago, Pete said:

There's a lot of "ifs" with him. Too many, IMO, for him to make the team out of camp. He's not going to get the chance to show "hey I'm a really good forechecker" in a handful of pre-season games. Figure the last 2 games are tune ups and line combo testing. That leaves 4 games where he'll be splitting opportunities with guys like Sykora, Cullye, Othmann and even the Brodzinskis of the world.

It's a lot of competition for those last 4 winger spots when you know 4 roster spots are going to Krav, Blais, Reaves, Goodrow and Carpenter. I just don't see a world where he makes the team, unless injuries come up.

You listed Cuylle as a 4th liner with Blais and Carpenter. Essentially a poor man’s Kassian. Nah, let him develop and bring him up when he can compliment a line using his size, shot, and physicality. And that’s not with Blais and Carpenter. But I don’t give a fuck if a Trivigno is pigeon holed in a bottom 6 spot. 

essentially, Trivigno can give you some Sykora now.

where Trivigno will make his impression will be in practice, firstly. Showing a Rudy-like attitude. The relentless work ethic is what led to him wearing a C in college. Let the kids develop. Who cares if Trivigno doesn’t become more than a 4th liner, but you can’t turn top draft picks into 4th liners 

I think the rest of the lineup will shake out just fine but one thing I want to see is Krav on the 2nd line RW with Bread and Trocheck, but I have a feeling it'll be Kakko. I just think we've seen Kakko there and it was okay but I think Krav is a much better fit

1 hour ago, josh said:

That’s not true. Panarin, a small guy, is one of the best forecheckers - when he wants to be. He’s not physical, he’s not fast, but he gets under people and creates havoc and turnovers. 

In college, he was labeled the poor man’s gaudreau.

stop thinking prototypical 4th liners. It’s not 1982. But what he could potentially bring is much missing from the lineup. But once he adjusts, he can move up the lineup in complimentary roles.

57 minutes ago, josh said:

You listed Cuylle as a 4th liner with Blais and Carpenter. Essentially a poor man’s Kassian. Nah, let him develop and bring him up when he can compliment a line using his size, shot, and physicality. And that’s not with Blais and Carpenter. But I don’t give a fuck if a Trivigno is pigeon holed in a bottom 6 spot. 

essentially, Trivigno can give you some Sykora now.

where Trivigno will make his impression will be in practice, firstly. Showing a Rudy-like attitude. The relentless work ethic is what led to him wearing a C in college. Let the kids develop. Who cares if Trivigno doesn’t become more than a 4th liner, but you can’t turn top draft picks into 4th liners 

You're confusing what I want with what I think is gonna happen. 

Management is clearly going for something that isn't small and speedy. 

53 minutes ago, Pete said:

I think management knows they need speed to complement the slower, bigger guys, or Drury wouldn’t have traded for a smaller speedy guy in Motte at the deadline, and Gallant wouldn’t have prioritized playing him.

But there’s a reason I left Trivigno off the lineup for what I think GG will do. He’s not a proven commodity like Motte was and he’s not a “GG guy”. Whatever that means other than having played for him before. Maybe he gets a shot to become a GG guy during the season though.

Edited by rmc51

1 hour ago, Pete said:

No - I agree. But this is the last spot, and they addressed size last offseason. 

The only other guys under 6’2 are Halak, Lindgren, Fox, Panarin, Trocheck, Hunt… and 6’1 Reaves. 

i think they’re fine with size. Speed, I’m a bit worried. 

• Cheers 1