• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The BSBH Unjustly Hated Rangers Power Rankings

Phil

Welcome to the inaugural BSBH Unjustly Hated Rangers Power Rankings!

With Ryan Strome now gone, I'm hard-pressed to think of a more unjustly hated New York Ranger, but I'm sure they exist. This guy was a consummate pro. Part of the leadership group, and ultimately scored 195 points in 263 games with the Rangers — a 0.75 P/GP average. It's insane to me that anyone would be dancing on his grave now that he's been replaced by Trocheck. But I figured this could be a fun little interactive off-season thread.

In effect, who else ranks for you as unjustly hated by fans, be it Twitter, here, the Garden, or wherever, and where do they belong in an all-time list?

If you are not familiar with power rankings, it is a rating system that analyzes the results of sports competitions to provide objective ratings for each player. Use your own objectives to make your changes to the rankings. That can include contract, cost to acquire, performance as a Ranger, etc.

How It Works:

• I will provide the initial ranking based on my big beautiful brain.
  • Each member can add 2 (TWO) players candidates to the list. These additions must be added at the bottom of the most recent version of the list. Additions are not required to participate.
  • Each member can also make 2 (TWO) moves, up or down, in which you can move a single player up or down as many as 2 (TWO) slots, or move 2 players 1 slot each once a day.
  • For this rankings list, adding a player does not count as a move.

As with all interactive threads here, this isn't a serious thread, but it is fun, so please take it somewhat seriously and don't intentionally sabotage the game for the rest of the community.

Comments regarding your moves are encouraged. Extended discussions about another user are prohibited. If you feel that strongly about any given player, open a new thread on them and let the community discuss it like any other topic.

Two candidates I'm adding to the list to kick us off:

Michal Rozival — 176 points in 432 games as a defenseman. Career most definitely wound down as his time with the Rangers went on, but he scored 13 goals one season and was still getting booed every time he touched the ice.

Rick Nash — I waver on including him at all because I couldn't stand him by the end. The memory of hearing fans justify his contract because he was "defensively responsible" is infuriating to this day, but he was maybe unjustly hated. 145 goals and 252 points in 375 games as a Ranger. 0.7 P/GP (rounded). His Rangers career technically started with a "We Don't Want You!" chant.

The BSBH Unjustly Hated Rangers Ranking:

1. Ryan Strome
  2. Michal Rozsival
  3. Rick Nash

2 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Too soon to add Trouba? $8mil cap hit for a $5mil defenseman. 

Nope. I guess I should have specified, but this doesn't have to be ex-Rangers only. Even though they kind of apply better. If you think you can make an argument for Trouba, go nuts.

• TroCheckmark 1

4 minutes ago, josh said:
  1. Ryan Strome
  2. Rick Nash
  3. Michal Rozsival -1
  4. Artemi Panarin
  5. Sean Avery

People hated Avery? 

1. Ryan Strome
  2. Rick Nash
  3. Michal Rozsival -1
  4. Artemi Panarin
  5. Sean Avery
  6. Chris Drury (Player Version)
Edited by Pete

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Nope. I guess I should have specified, but this doesn't have to be ex-Rangers only. Even though they kind of apply better. If you think you can make an argument for Trouba, go nuts.

Should you limit it to only former players - or will we be moving Trouba on this list throughout the season?

That's a good question. I guess I could see adding active players as a hindrance because people might use this to axe-grind.

You're probably right — maybe we should just limit it to former Rangers.

• Applause 1

I added Malik as he was hated by fans for being soft yet he was a nifty +67 in three seasons and had the coolest shootout goal ever. Also added Nedved as he was basically booed by his own fans yet racked up a fair number of points (0.72 pts/gm) in his two stints with the Rangers.

Edited by leetchy2
  • Applause 1

16 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

Well find out this season how 'unjust' the strome shade was.

Yea! Who needs 60+ point 2Cs?!

I'm sure Torchek will come in, never be injured, never take a bad penalty, never miss the net, or make any mistake at all. Thank god!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leetchy2 said:

1. Ryan Strome

2. Rick Nash

3. Michael Rozsival

4. Artemi Panerin

5. Alexander Georguev

6. Sean Avery

7. Petr Nedved

8. Marek Malik

Drury should come after Avery.  Think you picked up the wrong list.

1. Ryan Strome

2. Rick Nash

3. Michael Rozsival

4. Artemi Panerin

5. Alexander Georguev

6. Sean Avery

7. Chris Drury

8 Petr Nedved

9. Marek Malik

Edited by Pete