• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Johnny Gaudreau to Columbus! Signs 7-Year/$68.25M Deal; $9.75M AAV

Phil

9 hours ago, Keirik said:

Ah, makes sense. Still looks like they have a lower state tax compared to a lot of other states at least in the US. I was always under the impression Canada got killed tax wise and that hindered part of their chances to sign athletes here and there. 

Not Canada. Ontario and Quebec. Provincial taxes plus high cost of living take a major bite out of earnings.

https://theathletic.com/3422168/2022/07/13/johnny-gaudreau-blue-jackets-contract/

“I think we can finally get rid of the bullshit that this is somehow a bad destination, a bad city, whatever,” Kekalainen said. “Because it’s never been true. We got a bad rap because a couple of people decided all along that they weren’t going to be here long-term for various reasons, but it has never been about the city or the organization.

“We’ve just had to shut our mouth and deal with that, but every time I see a comment like that, I get a rash.”

“It kind of came out of the blue,” Kekalainen said. “Like, are you serious about this?

“Everybody’s talking about him being one of the biggest fish on the market. We always do our list and at the appropriate time we contact the people on the top of our list, but to hear back that, yeah, they’re one of the teams they want to come to…”

13 minutes ago, Lord Al said:

"You don't even notice because of the great color scheme and balance, and how it represent the historic culture of Columbus. Beautiful design. And it's not like the NHL will try to push more ads on the players, rink jerseys, or glass. They're done, now."

14 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Helmet ads brought in over $150 million.   Jersey ads should be similar. 

The NHL made 5.3 billion in 21-22. The NHL made 100M of helmet ads. It's not a lot. 

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Also according to LeBrun, this guy had 3 offers.... 3. And he turned down NYI and NJD. 

I think it's pretty clear he wanted to go to Philly, who reportedly wouldn't clear cap by dumping JvR to sign him. They're his hometown team, and his best friend is Kevin Hayes. It makes total sense.

33 minutes ago, Phil said:

Or, you know, just not sign Ristolainen and then trade and sign DeAngelo, who make a combined $10M+ — but sure. Too difficult. This guy is such a chump LOL.

uh lol "i would have had to wait 2 hours to make it happen"

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Or, you know, just not sign Ristolainen and then trade and sign DeAngelo, who make a combined $10M+ — but sure. Too difficult. This guy is such a chump LOL.

"My job is really hard, so I'm just not gonna do it."

office space just play the game GIF

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

Ya know. ....id prolly go to Columbus before going to NJ also. I live here but certainly wouldn't if I didn't need to for my job at the moment. Prolly wouldve went to the Island though, only been out that way once for a concert but it seemed pretty nice.

8 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Ya know. ....id prolly go to Columbus before going to NJ also. I live here but certainly wouldn't if I didn't need to for my job at the moment. Prolly wouldve went to the Island though, only been out that way once for a concert but it seemed pretty nice.

The guy is not going to live in Newark if he played for the devils.

Let's not get crazy. 

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I dont know much about US cities, but I would think that when u make 9m a year you should be able to find a nice place anyway? Or is it that big of a difference between NJ/NYI/CBJ even for the rich?

There are plenty of rich areas 20 mins away from Newark. Multimillion dollar houses.