• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lightning Re-Sign Anthony Cirelli to 8-Year/$50m Extension; $6.25m AAV

Phil

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

$6.25m for a 40-point player? He’s a great fit and does a lot of things, but for that price he doesn’t put up what’s needed. They’re going to be complaining about this like they complained about Killorn. 

*$6.25M for a future Selke winner.

• VINNY! 2

Just now, Cash or Czech said:

Within $600k of what Bergeron made for 20 fewer points per season 

* that he signed 8 years ago before he became a hall of fame player...

I think if you're comparing this guy to Patrice Bergeron you probably don't need to be told how good 6.25M for 8 years of someone who is almost Patrice Bergeron, an future hall of fame player who may as well have that trophy named after him, is. 

• Bullseye 1

Just now, Valriera said:

* that he signed 8 years ago before he became a hall of fame player...

I think if you're comparing this guy to Patrice Bergeron you probably don't need to be told how good 6.25M for 8 years of someone who is almost Patrice Bergeron, an future hall of fame player who may as well have that trophy named after him, is. 

2/3rds of the production of Patrice Bergeron does not equal 90% of the cap hit. Sorry but this is an overpay for me. Be as good as a shut down center as you want. Unless he takes another step in production this is going to be an overpay. If he can increase his output, it’ll be a fantastic deal

8 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

2/3rds of the production of Patrice Bergeron does not equal 90% of the cap hit. Sorry but this is an overpay for me. Be as good as a shut down center as you want. Unless he takes another step in production this is going to be an overpay. If he can increase his output, it’ll be a fantastic deal

This guy is a 1C on most teams in the league, and he's only 24. In no universe is this an overpayment. Bergeron signed his deal at 28, four years later, where they bought out the rest of his UFA career. If anything, this is a better deal than that one because it takes him to 32 where he's likely not in his prime and not going to command the same money on his next deal that bergeron did at 28. 

3 minutes ago, Valriera said:

This guy is a 1C on most teams in the league, and he's only 24. In no universe is this an overpayment. Bergeron signed his deal at 28, four years later, where they bought out the rest of his UFA career. If anything, this is a better deal than that one because it takes him to 32 where he's likely not in his prime and not going to command the same money on his next deal that bergeron did at 28. 

He’s a 40-point shutdown center. He’s nobody’s #1, and that is a heavy premium to pay for someone who doesn’t have offense to the levels you’d expect of a player making over $6mil. He needs to find another gear for this to be worthwhile

15 minutes ago, Valriera said:

It might be an overpayment, but it's an investment in a guy with incredible upside, who is unequivocally going to compete for multiple Selke trophies in the very near future.

4 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

$6.25m for a 40-point player? He’s a great fit and does a lot of things, but for that price he doesn’t put up what’s needed. They’re going to be complaining about this like they complained about Killorn. 

It’s a better contract than the Trocheck retirement deal

1 hour ago, Phil said:

At 6.25? I don't see it that way. In fact, I'm willing to bet that whatever the highest cap hit Bergeron had was right in line with what Cirelli just got relative to cap hit percentage.

Gotta stop comparing him to Bergeron. The production isn't there. 

4 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

I've been comparing him to not being Bergeron's level despite being close to his cap hit. 

I guess that's my point, they're not comparable. You're right, he shouldn't be paid the same, or even close. 

But they're different ages and their contracts were signed at different times etc etc. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I guess that's my point, they're not comparable. You're right, he shouldn't be paid the same, or even close. 

But they're different ages and their contracts were signed at different times etc etc. 

in the past I said Cirelli projected to end up Bergeron-lite before. I might be a bit off and it’s more like “Bergeron-zero” rather than lite but I still think Cirelli’s natural ceiling is a lot higher than we think. Selke is a no brainer to me but I think offensively he’s dynamic but a bit stunted by where he is on a depth chart and pecking order for ice time. 

I really wanted the Rangers to try and poach him last rfa go around.